Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Groves vs Eubank Jr

Groves is going to need to be perfect to beat Jr (and perfect is asking too much). He has a terrific jab with the right hand dissuader waiting behind it, however, Jr has now well and truly proven to me he is lethal/fearless/granite. To unleash combos like he does whilst going toe-to-toe with a big hard bastard takes massive balls and confidence in your strength/beard. The older and more experience he's gained the more these guys are coming off second best when trying to have it.

Jr by KO. He has a tidy jab too when playing on the outside but overrall will prove too fit, strong, fast and accurate with his combos.

That goes for Callum Smith too. If you're having a toe-2-toe war with Rebrasse/Skoglund good luck against Jr.
    Last edited by Fenster; 10-09-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jr seems to also have his old mans chin..I am warming to Jr since the Abraham fight..he is improving all the time and lives the life of a fighter.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are going to beat Eubank , you have to go big to the body.
    His chin like his father before him is granite , however a big puncher who moves and goes to the body may be able to stop him.
    Can Groves or Smith do that ? well that remains to be seen. Styles make fights.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    If you are going to beat Eubank , you have to go big to the body.
    His chin like his father before him is granite , however a big puncher who moves and goes to the body may be able to stop him.
    Can Groves or Smith do that ? well that remains to be seen. Styles make fights.
    People keep talking about Jr's chin but has he taken a serious clump to the chin from a known heard hitting SMW?

He's taken good shots and taken them well so please don't think I'm saying he has a glass chin or anything.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So far he's shown a solid chin at world level that's all that's important. Whether or not he goes on to become a legendary granite bonce, like his dad, is another matter.

There's no fearsome one-punch hitters (Julian Jackson-like) at supermiddle anyway.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well all I can say is that I'm pleased everyone is joining the knee jerk bandwagon and I hope that gets reflected in the odds in the build up to the fight.
    Talk of Groves having to be perfect. What about Eubank? Doesn't he have to be perfect? And even then he still won't know because he has never fought anybody as good , slick, classy and powerful as Groves.
    I'm not saying Eubank hasn't improved or doesn't stand some sort of chance, but if he ends up being seen as the favourite, I think that might be ridiculous enough for me to have a little punt on Groves.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a cracking matchup and I hope it happens. A lot of really interesting variables in this one and that is what makes a fight really captivating.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Well all I can say is that I'm pleased everyone is joining the knee jerk bandwagon and I hope that gets reflected in the odds in the build up to the fight.
    Talk of Groves having to be perfect. What about Eubank? Doesn't he have to be perfect? And even then he still won't know because he has never fought anybody as good , slick, classy and powerful as Groves.
    I'm not saying Eubank hasn't improved or doesn't stand some sort of chance, but if he ends up being seen as the favourite, I think that might be ridiculous enough for me to have a little punt on Groves.
    Groves needs to be perfect because I don't think he has the stamina or toughness to prevent Jr from hunting him down. Groves can never resist punching with punchers inside either, however, he is normally the faster man. I think Eubank has faster hands and arguably his greatest attribute is whipping flowing combos in on the inside.

If I priced it up I'd make Eubank the favourite but admittedly that would be ignoring what they've actually proved with potential.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Groves needs to be perfect because I don't think he has the stamina or toughness to prevent Jr from hunting him down. Groves can never resist punching with punchers inside either, however, he is normally the faster man. I think Eubank has faster hands and arguably his greatest attribute is whipping flowing combos in on the inside.

If I priced it up I'd make Eubank the favourite but admittedly that would be ignoring what they've actually proved with potential.
    Like I said, it's Eubank who would have to fight the perfect fight and even then he won't know because he's never been in this deep.
    Groves is a technically better boxer than Saunders and Eubank couldn't work him out.
    And if Eubank does leave himself open , which he is prone to, he's gonna get clumped harder than he's ever been hit before. Groves is very heavy handed.
    Eubank may have a tough chin, but they don't come much tougher than Froch and when Groves hit him, he fucking knew about it.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't put Jr as favourite, granted he looked very very good on the weekend but I still maintain that it is difficult to judge Jr yet

No one has ever heard of Quinlan, Abraham was at the end of his career and a perfect style for Jr, Yildirim was the perfect style and untested before the fight.

He may well dismantle Groves with speed and volume but we just don't know yet.

At present I'm sticking with Groves as favourite but it is a hell of a lot closer than it was before the weekend

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Groves has to be the favourite.

Look at the world class opponents he has fought..shame he lost the ones that mattered but he's the world champion now.

Only issue is when the fight gets to the 8th round..and if Groves can still weather the storm of a younger, fitter Eubanks.
    Last edited by imp; 10-10-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think things are manoeuvring into an advantage Eubank position. I expect Groves to beat Cox but I dont expect it to be a blow out. He's going to have to put a shift in, all miles on the clock. Groves might not be over the hill, but he's clinging onto his best years by his fingernails. His last one was a pearler, he put in a monumental effort to sort out Matt Damon Terminator. I dont know if he can do that again.

Eubank is approaching his prime, appears to be at one with himself as a fighter and a man rather than some Sugar Ray Clay Jones Jnr caricature of a boxer. He looks fitter and stronger than ever and I think he might just bring too much pressure too consistently for Groves to live with.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like I said, it's Eubank who would have to fight the perfect fight and even then he won't know because he's never been in this deep.
    Groves is a technically better boxer than Saunders and Eubank couldn't work him out.
    And if Eubank does leave himself open , which he is prone to, he's gonna get clumped harder than he's ever been hit before. Groves is very heavy handed.
    Eubank may have a tough chin, but they don't come much tougher than Froch and when Groves hit him, he fucking knew about it.
    Groves has 19 KO’s in 29 fights so he’s not the puncher you make him out to be and he’s never stopped anyone worth talking about. He also managed to make Froch look like a Devastating one punch knockout artist so his chin is very questionable. Eubank is the better puncher and he has the better chin.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GaMo View Post

Groves has 19 KO’s in 29 fights so he’s not the puncher you make him out to be and he’s never stopped anyone worth talking about. He also managed to make Froch look like a Devastating one punch knockout artist so his chin is very questionable. Eubank is the better puncher and he has the better chin.
    You can make stats tell you what you want to hear. I prefer to actually see for myself and make an opinion.
    Groves' 19 from 29 ratio is at a muck higher level and therefore more difficult to knock people out.
    Groves would've KO'd all the guys Eubank has.
    Froch's punch was a once in a career punch, all about timing. Not dissimilar to Eubank on Saturday night. It happens. But most of Eubank's KO's are flurries of punches , he doesn't normally one punch KO them himself.
    Groves is too slick and heavy handed enough to give Eubank something to think about.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Primo Carnera Groves isn’t that slick, Froch had no problem finding him and Carl isn’t that quick (he never found Ward or Dirrell) he only found Taylor when Jermain’s gas tank ran out.

Thread Information