Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default GGG vs Canelo Observations

Have to begin this post by stating that I thought the fight was good/interesting, and that while I personally thought GGG won, I'm ok with the draw (Byrd's scorecard was a joke). A few thoughts regarding the fight:

1. Floyd's greatness confirmed/highlighted: GGG is the monster at 160, and Canelo held his own with him for much of the fight. Floyd is MUCH smaller than Canelo, and dominated pretty much every second of their fight. I now rank The Canelo win as one of Floyd's most impressive performances.

2. I like GGG and his style, but am convinced that if he fought a prime Hop, Roy, Hagler...etc., he wouldn't last to hear the final bell.

3. Andre Ward would destroy GGG. If Jacobs was the bigger man and able to take his shots and outbox him for long stretches, with Canelo having similar success, Ward completely dismantles him.

4. I think GGG will win a tough rematch with Canelo, but feel that Jacobs beats him if they fight again.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: GGG vs Canelo Observations

1. I think that Canelo has improved quite a bit since then. While I agree that the win was still impressive, he didn't fight a prime Canelo IMO. Although I think that version of Mayweather still beats this version of Canelo but has a tougher time.

2. GGG has slipped a bit so I don't think we saw prime GGG here. I have always thought he was a bit overrated but still a great fighter. He has proven throughout his career that he has a solid chin so I don't think those fighters you named would knock him out.

3. Agreed. I never had any doubt that Ward beats him if they ever fought.

4. I think that if GGG doesn't start off as tentative then he may win. I am just afraid that he may be just getting worse every fight from now on so he may not have the energy to win another battle. If he hasn't slipped by the rematch then I think he wins again.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd didn't dominate every second of his fight with alvarez

there were rounds he didn't throw a punch

im not saying he didn't win

I think it was the second or third where he threw 2 punches, both landed, and the commentators were bumming his skills

and lets be honest, had canelo dominated his fight against Floyd, much like GGG dominated against canelo, the best canelo could have hoped for would have been a draw
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with powerpuncher and to some extent eric.

Floyd beating Canelo was a very good win because he had to go up in weight although he did make Canelo have to go down further than the weight limit required. (However that sums up Floyd for you which is a whiny bitcht wants everything his own way)

No one stops GGG at middleweight his chin is up there with Hagler and LaMotta.

Andre Ward would beat GGG with ease but not destroy him at the higher weight.

I think Canelo will not want a rematch but if they did GGG will start faster by putting the pressure on earlier and win on points. Canelo has a solid chin of his own and has the experience to survive.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

I think it was the second or third where he threw 2 punches, both landed, and the commentators were bumming his skills

and lets be honest, had canelo dominated his fight against Floyd, much like GGG dominated against canelo, the best canelo could have hoped for would have been a draw
    Completely disagree with a couple of your points. First, Canelo looked foolish and ineffective in that fight because Floyd was THAT much better than him. Second, the draw that Canelo received on one of the cards vs Floyd, despite being thoroughly dominated shows that all Canelo had to do was the bare minimum to receive the benefit of the doubt on the scorecards. His "wins" vs Lara and Trout further prove he is a favorite of the promoters...er, I mean judges.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree with powerpuncher on a few of his points.

- Floyd knew what he was doing by getting to mexicos cash cow while he was still ripening on the vine. If Chavez Jr was withing reach weight wise, he would have taken him instead. Floyds skill has been consistent, but canelo did have to drain while floyd went with his walking around weight. If it hadn't been for floyd, canelo may have never evolved into what he is now.

- Those Middleweight all time greats all came against people they couldn't get rid of. GGG's chin just would have been one of those guys or maybe the best of those guys. He doesn't get enough credit for slipping and deflecting some shots but even the ones that make it through were just disgusting and he ate them and kept coming.

- Ward's style and weight were just a tailor made bad day for GGG. Wards a dirty fighter and GGG is too clean. Barring a long range fire fight in the middle of the ring with weight concessions and a ref that maintained control, GGG has little chance of out wrestling the kracken.

- I am convinced and have suspected since the brook fight, that there is something fundamentally wrong health wise with GGG beyond just aging. (looked disinterested and rumore of sickness in brook fight, looked mediocre against Jacobs. claims he was sandbagging to get Canelo to sign, the time off growing between fights, the reduced sparring in camps, abiding by the no saunders fight demand by golden boy, talks of retirement and came into camp pudgy for canelo.. then suddenly the talk of 4 more fights) I really think his late starts can be tied to him conserving energy. Especially when out weighed by his opponents. (I think canelo out weighed him for this fight also) ... I've been rather impressed with his ability to find a way to win (if hes a limited puncher like many claim) at a weight disadvantage and father time catching up with him. GGG is forced to lead because his reflexes wont let him react anymore. Hes crafty at setting traps but i think its a matter of time before he's just outworked by a younger, bigger opponent that is bloated enough to be resistant to his power. Everyone from here on out will try to fit that mold.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Floyd beating Canelo was a very good win because he had to go up in weight although he did make Canelo have to go down further than the weight limit required. (However that sums up Floyd for you which is a whiny bitcht wants everything his own way)

I think Canelo will not want a rematch but if they did GGG will start faster by putting the pressure on earlier and win on points. Canelo has a solid chin of his own and has the experience to survive.
    Glad you acknowledged Ward would destroy GGG.

Shame it will never happen now..would have been a good fight.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

I've always said Ward would've comfortably beaten GGG , even when I rated Golovkin pretty highly . And I believe Ward is currently #1 p4p.
    But at the time, Ward was talking as much shit about this possible fight as team GGG. At the time, Ward wasn't fighting ANYBODY and so to even talk about it and who's avoiding who was pathetic and meaningless.
    The time Ward wasted in his career has meant the difference in Ward being the best of the current crop to being one of the best of all time imo.
    So while his achievements stack up pretty well, it could've been so much more.
    Something I think he'll secretly regret many years from now.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

Completely disagree with a couple of your points. First, Canelo looked foolish and ineffective in that fight because Floyd was THAT much better than him. Second, the draw that Canelo received on one of the cards vs Floyd, despite being thoroughly dominated shows that all Canelo had to do was the bare minimum to receive the benefit of the doubt on the scorecards. His "wins" vs Lara and Trout further prove he is a favorite of the promoters...er, I mean judges.
    Floyd bone on
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There you go mentioning him again. Secret Man Crush.
    And for the record, Floyd SCHOOLED Canelo. 😎

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never said Ward would destroy GGG, only beat him.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

I've always said Ward would've comfortably beaten GGG , even when I rated Golovkin pretty highly . And I believe Ward is currently #1 p4p.
    But at the time, Ward was talking as much shit about this possible fight as team GGG. At the time, Ward wasn't fighting ANYBODY and so to even talk about it and who's avoiding who was pathetic and meaningless.
    The time Ward wasted in his career has meant the difference in Ward being the best of the current crop to being one of the best of all time imo.
    Just imagine if Ward could still make 168...that would be the cherry on the cake.

He has beaten the bogeyman at 175, if he could make 168 and he could do a deal with GGG and beat him, then Wards CV would be seriously hard to beat.

Ward is only 32 and could have another 4-5 years left in the game..he never has any weight issues and the GGG fight would be a huge payday.

Who else can GGG fight if Canelo doesn't want a rematch and the Saunders fight never happens?!

It will never happen but it's a cool way to leave the sport if Ward can do it.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Just imagine if Ward could still make 168...that would be the cherry on the cake.

He has beaten the bogeyman at 175, if he could make 168 and he could do a deal with GGG and beat him, then Wards CV would be seriously hard to beat.

Ward is only 32 and could have another 4-5 years left in the game..he never has any weight issues and the GGG fight would be a huge payday.

Who else can GGG fight if Canelo doesn't want a rematch and the Saunders fight never happens?!

It will never happen but it's a cool way to leave the sport if Ward can do it.
    Has Ward said he can not make super middleweight any longer?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward went up because Kessler, Froch and Golovkin refused to fight him. He had to go up to get big fights and he could probably still make 168 for the right fight but the big fights are at 175 so why would he come down?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know m8, I thought golovkin was very smart to start slowly/more cautious than usual, . Alvarez can be very dangerous but he tires and he did tire in the middle rounds and golovkin won them pretty easy before canelo had a mini revival at the end... Start pressing early and he could accumulate a lot of damage early on.... But maybe after byrds bizarre score card maybe he really will go d or it early.... Could make the rematch even better....
    I think if Alvarez somehow improves his stamina he has a real chance of winning a rematch fairly... Maybe Juan Manuel Marquez can help him with that.

As for the scorecard I think close golovkin win would have been the most fair, you could give Alvarez the first and last three(not what the guy who had a draw had btw), I say could not should..... 118 is awful though... At least it was just a draw and golovkin keeps his belts and gets a money Making rematch, could be worse for him

Thread Information