Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin vs Miguel Cotto

Getting long so I'll start a new.

Rightful how? I would say he earned the lineal title but I wouldn't say he lived up to the responsibilities of it. I get by the made up rules he did. But there are a lot of stupid rules in this world. If you are hiding from the best fighters you aren't THE CHAMP to me, you are only a champ. Big difference between a champ and the champ in my estimation.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Rightful how? I would say he earned the lineal title but I wouldn't say he lived up to the responsibilities of it. I get by the made up rules he did. But there are a lot of stupid rules in this world. If you are hiding from the best fighters you aren't THE CHAMP to me, you are only a champ. Big difference between a champ and the champ in my estimation.
    I get what your saying but he won his championship in the ring and it's only right he loses it in the ring. He was not the best in the division when he fought Cotto but he was the defending champion. I don't follow many other sports but I guess it's like if a team wins the championship this year then play terribly the next year, they are still the reigning championship until another teams wins it.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

I get what your saying but he won his championship in the ring and it's only right he loses it in the ring. He was not the best in the division when he fought Cotto but he was the defending champion. I don't follow many other sports but I guess it's like if a team wins the championship this year then play terribly the next year, they are still the reigning championship until another teams wins it.
    In other sports the champ can't choose to not play The Steelers, or The Packers. He and GGG were the top 2 guys for 4 common years. GGG wanted to fight, Sergio didn't. To me that is giving it up in the ring. If The Patriots are the champs but they "We don't want to play the Packers, we're going to play CFL teams or Arena teams" they still have their championship from before yes. But the reign ended when they quit defending. Same with boxing to me.

But I get your side. I appreciate you keeping it respectful as well

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course, no need to get nasty, we all love the sport but we are bound to disagree at times or it would get boring. I like to use the Patterson/ Liston scenario, or the Hagler situation. Those guys were the considered the best but were denied their shot for years. They weren't considered the champion however until they won it in the ring.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly why I don't put so much value in the words or rules.

For me the best guy is the guy. And it's proven by fighting the other best guys. If 2 top guys don't fight the guy at fault is below the guy that wanted to fight.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly why I don't put so much value in the words or rules.

For me the best guy is the guy. And it's proven by fighting the other best guys. If 2 top guys don't fight the guy at fault is below the guy that wanted to fight.
    Yea I'll call him the best in the division but I won't call him champion until he wins it in the ring.

Thread Information