Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Slugger vs. Swarmer.

We know that a slugger beats a swarmer, because the swarmer only moves forward, which works in the slugger's favor since he doesn't have to chase him to land his big punches.

So, what were some fights between a slugger and a swarmer? I already know about Foreman-Frazier and Liston-Patterson. Would Gonzalez-Mares be one?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oddly enough I would call Andre Ward a swarmer but not in the sense you would.

Traditional swarmers tend to win on come forward with high punch rate and not always power punchers.

Joe Calzaghe v Lacy would be a good example.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Slugger vs. Swarmer.

Maybe Tyson/ Ruddock fights?
    Benn/ McClellan?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley is a slugger and Margarito was a swarmer. Mayorga was a swarmer and Trinidad was a slugger.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I think of swarmers its frenetic energy, sometimes slappy but always in motion and frontal. They keep so many windows open in defense they can lose track. Sluggers wait calculate and drop the hammer. Also I could watch that 1st kd of Jones 101 times. Just an absolute rifle shot!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe a Byrd vs Tua/Ibeabuchi. Canizales vs Sergio Reyes?

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton? He was always about not giving you time to reset. Not so much speed or technique as relentlessness. That is why he could out Tzyu Kostya but not handle the speed of Manny and the timing of Floyd. Below that level he was a nightmare maelstrom of malevolent rage that most could not handle.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​Lemieux v Golovkin ...... which ironically turned into a pure boxing match!
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Hatton? He was always about not giving you time to reset. Not so much speed or technique as relentlessness. That is why he could out Tzyu Kostya but not handle the speed of Manny and the timing of Floyd. Below that level he was a nightmare maelstrom of malevolent rage that most could not handle.
    Tszyu was flat footed and needed a lot of time and space to do his thing. I also believe that Tszyu was very overrated, the money was there for him to move up and fight the big names at 147 but he knew better.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GaMo View Post
    Tszyu was flat footed and needed a lot of time and space to do his thing. I also believe that Tszyu was very overrated, the money was there for him to move up and fight the big names at 147 but he knew better.
    That was a peak Hatton and that version was a force against anyone. If Floyd was in the opposite corner that night the fight would have been 50/50.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    That was a peak Hatton and that version was a force against anyone. If Floyd was in the opposite corner that night the fight would have been 50/50.
    No Mayweather would have embarrassed Tszyu. Honestly it would have been humiliating for Tszyu if he’d have made it to Floyd. Hatton at his best was good but Floyd was great and he’d beat any version of Hatton on his worst night.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    No Mayweather would have embarrassed Tszyu. Honestly it would have been humiliating for Tszyu if he’d have made it to Floyd. Hatton at his best was good but Floyd was great and he’d beat any version of Hatton on his worst night.
    Under those conditions in his home town with Dave Paris allowing the low blows and at his best weight Floyd would have struggled.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As soon as Floyd gets space his class will shine and he’ll take over. Floyd isn’t bad on the inside either and I’ve never seen him tired so Hatton’s pace (his best weapon) won’t be a factor. Floyd can get rough inside if that the way Hatton wanted to play it. Mayweather is one of the best and he’s a few levels above Ricky.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’ll give Hatton credit, he went to America and fought the best. He didn’t need to do that because he had a large casual fan base who would’ve filled out the Manchester Arena to watch him fight anyone. He probably should’ve just milked his popularity and had money fights with guys like Gatti or even Judah. He might have even beat Cotto at 140 if he caught him at the right time because Cotto looked fragile against Corley and Torres.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As soon as Floyd gets space his class will shine and he’ll take over. Floyd isn’t bad on the inside either and I’ve never seen him tired so Hatton’s pace (his best weapon) won’t be a factor. Floyd can get rough inside if that the way Hatton wanted to play it. Mayweather is one of the best and he’s a few levels above Ricky.
    Floyd struggled for 6 rounds against Hatton which is why I think under those conditions Hatton could have done well for another 6 rounds. Once he gave Kostya room he got hurt so had to close the distance. Floyd never had that much power but he does have the accuracy.

Thread Information