Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
Quote Originally Posted by goti71 View Post
The thing about the Catalan nationalist sentiment is that it's the result of almost 40 years of intense indoctrination in schools and media.
Hmm, interesting take.
Quite a few of the old-school Catalans (those who actually did experience the Franco regime) claim they sometimes feel uneasy living there, to say the least (Imagine a snotty snowflake in his 20's calling you fascist on the street).

There's Albert Boadella, who in a recent interview said nowadays he prefers to live in Madrid, song-writers like Joan Manuel Serrat (back in the day he was actually turned down for the Eurovision Song Contest because he insisted on doing the song in Catalan only).
I watched a video some time ago where this Catalan "intellectual" was going on about a whole load of major historical figures being Catalans rather than Spaniards from other regions. It sounded so historically preposterous with such crappy logic I really thought it was just a guy doing stand-up (and I'm not a naive person). But nobody was laughing though. Now wtf is that?