Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Today in Trump

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Some say DeSantis would give liberals more of a chance in the coming elections.

Judging by the intensity of Trump-ism in sections of the population, I'd be inclined to agree with that.
    Who says this?

I do, for starters.

Actually, I've read an opinion piece or two. But it doesn't matter. I agree.

I think the Dems' best chance is if DeSantis is the GOP candidate.

Trump-ology is here to stay and diehard fanatics will flock to push him over the top.

Even if he were to lose, he'll just claim (again) that the election was stolen, and all hell will break loose.

Either way, it's a circus.

I think Trump is the only GOP candidate that Biden/whoever could possibly beat. There hasn't been a combination of inflation/high gas/energy prices like this since the seventies which was a sucession of one term presidents. It's doomed Biden or whoever else runs almost certainly. Only Trump and all his baggage could possibly give the Democrats a win in 2024.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And while her allies may be optimistic about her long-term future, Cheney would certainly like to avoid a blowout loss next month in her home state.

It won't be easy.

Facing consistent and credible death threats, she has been forced to abandon traditional retail campaigning, trading public rallies and town halls for private events where her presence is often revealed to the public only after their conclusion, if at all.

She has essentially been excommunicated by the Wyoming Republican Party, which voted last year to censure Cheney before deciding to stop recognizing her as a Republican altogether. Local GOP offices offer yard signs for Hageman and many other Republicans on the ballot but not Cheney.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...shifts-to-2024

That argument has been dramatized in ads that, for instance, show one armed candidate appearing to charge into the home of a political enemy, and another warning of “the mob” that threatens ordinary Americans. In many cases the candidates are brandishing firearms while threatening harm to liberals or other enemies.

In central Florida, U.S. Army veteran Cory Mills about his company selling tear gas that was used to quell riots in 2020. “You may have seen some of our work,” he says, introducing a montage of what are labeled “antifa,” “radical left” and “Black Lives Matter” protesters running from the gas.

In northwest Ohio, a campaign video for Republican congressional nominee J.R. Majewski a dilapidated factory, holding a semiautomatic weapon, warning that Democrats will “destroy our economy” with purposefully bad policies.

“Their agenda is bringing America to its knees, and I am willing to do whatever it takes,” says Majewski, who’s seeking a House seat in a district around Toledo that has been redrawn to make Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio) beatable. “If I have to kick down doors, that’s just what patriots do.”

In Missouri, Republican Senate candidate Eric Greitens has issued two ads this summer in which he holds or fires weapons, vowing to go “RINO hunting” — for “Republicans in name only” — in one ad and targeting the “political establishment” in the second.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-war-midterms/

This is not your father's Republican party.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And while her allies may be optimistic about her long-term future, Cheney would certainly like to avoid a blowout loss next month in her home state.

It won't be easy.

Facing consistent and credible death threats, she has been forced to abandon traditional retail campaigning, trading public rallies and town halls for private events where her presence is often revealed to the public only after their conclusion, if at all.

She has essentially been excommunicated by the Wyoming Republican Party, which voted last year to censure Cheney before deciding to stop recognizing her as a Republican altogether. Local GOP offices offer yard signs for Hageman and many other Republicans on the ballot but not Cheney.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...shifts-to-2024

That argument has been dramatized in ads that, for instance, show one armed candidate appearing to charge into the home of a political enemy, and another warning of “the mob” that threatens ordinary Americans. In many cases the candidates are brandishing firearms while threatening harm to liberals or other enemies.

In central Florida, U.S. Army veteran Cory Mills about his company selling tear gas that was used to quell riots in 2020. “You may have seen some of our work,” he says, introducing a montage of what are labeled “antifa,” “radical left” and “Black Lives Matter” protesters running from the gas.

In northwest Ohio, a campaign video for Republican congressional nominee J.R. Majewski a dilapidated factory, holding a semiautomatic weapon, warning that Democrats will “destroy our economy” with purposefully bad policies.

“Their agenda is bringing America to its knees, and I am willing to do whatever it takes,” says Majewski, who’s seeking a House seat in a district around Toledo that has been redrawn to make Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio) beatable. “If I have to kick down doors, that’s just what patriots do.”

In Missouri, Republican Senate candidate Eric Greitens has issued two ads this summer in which he holds or fires weapons, vowing to go “RINO hunting” — for “Republicans in name only” — in one ad and targeting the “political establishment” in the second.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-war-midterms/

This is not your father's Republican party.
    Oh dear.... That's a bit beyond the Scooby doo memes :S....

I understand de santis is going to make a run for president but he's a youngster in this game and he has time to sit it out and let Trump go for his second and errrr final term(until he decides to do more), surely it's a better idea for these guys to let Trump have this one and not risk the mad man going off and starting his own party and taking his crazies with him, he certainly mobilizes voters...

I'd also think Trump would have less of a chance than de santis at winning an election, the git is really talking a lot more nonsense than he used to.. a coherent fellow like de santis would fare much better...

Unconnected but mildly interesting news..
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62313579

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62314119
    Last edited by palmerq; 07-27-2022 at 05:41 AM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Oh dear.... That's a bit beyond the Scooby doo memes :S....

I understand de santis is going to make a run for president but he's a youngster in this game and he has time to sit it out and let Trump go for his second and errrr final term(until he decides to do more), surely it's a better idea for these guys to let Trump have this one and not risk the mad man going off and starting his own party and taking his crazies with him, he certainly mobilizes voters...

I'd also think Trump would have less of a chance than de santis at winning an election, the git is really talking a lot more nonsense than he used to.. a coherent fellow like de santis would fare much better...

Unconnected but mildly interesting news..
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62313579

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62314119

He's doing everything that somebody running for president does. Some of the people who've given him cheques meet the GOP nominee face to face every four years and get assurances from them they'll get what they want in return for financial backing. These gentlemen don't give a fuck who the governor of Florida is, they're giving him money now because he's told them he's running for president. They're not paying for him to win the governor race.

One of Orban's advisors saying he's a Nazi is surprising. He must have a nice job offer outside Hungary. Orban is speaking at a conservative conference in America this week. Before 2015 that would have been newsworthy, similarly GOP congresspeople speaking at white nationalist conventions in America. Happens all the time now and generally doesn't make the news.

Trump's speech was good. If he gets back into office the party of states' rights is going to make the national guard a domestic military force that the president can send into a state against the wishes of the governor to quell domestic protests. Amongst a whole bunch of other fascist/banana republic stuff.

That ties in with the most interesting article of the last few weeks, basically the Trump team plan for a second term. Bottom line is he's going to remove the top layers of the Justice Department, FBI and other law enforcement agencies oh and the Pentagon and replace them with a bunch of crooks, thugs and goons:

Sources close to the former president said that he will — as a matter of top priority — go after the national security apparatus, “clean house” in the intelligence community and the State Department, target the “woke generals” at the Defense Department, and remove the top layers of the Justice Department and FBI.
    A spokesperson for Patel, Erica Knight, did not dispute details from this scene at The Ben in West Palm Beach when Axios reached out for comment.
    He grumbled that they were “weak” — that they always and reflexively told him his demands were illegal and could not be implemented. Trump would occasionally compare his White House lawyers unfavorably to his late New York attorney — the notorious mob lawyer Roy Cohn. Yet he deferred removing them.
    Other senior officials, including Miller, believed the federal agencies were clotted with cowardly general counsels too worried about their Washington reputations to risk throwing their support behind Trump’s policies. Instead, the Trump team suspected, these general counsels allowed the career attorneys to steamroll them.
    Miller has his eye out for general counsels who will aggressively implement Trump’s orders and skeptically interrogate any career government attorney who tells them their plans are unlawful or cannot be done.

So anybody standing up for the rule of law will be fired and replaced with an apparatchik who will do what Trump wants.

Once they do this there's no way they don't run up a huge list of overt outright nondebatable criminal acts in their four years. Once they've done that there's no way back. Lose the 2028 election, and they undoubtedly would, and they'd be indicted, found guilty and lost their appeals within a fast tracked year and be looking at the inside of a prison cell. There's no way the 2028 election would be fair. Want to demonstrate at the end of democracy? Meet the national guard, ICE or whatever law enforcement agency has been totally coopted and Trumpified and militarised.

Some more:

In a second term, Trump would install a different cohort at the top than in 2017. He has said what he wants, above all, is people with “courage.”
    Under the courage criteria, he has singled out Jeffrey Clark for particular praise. Trump has also praised Patel, who would likely be installed in a senior national security role in a second term, people close to the former president said.

This guy is a fucking environmental lawyer, a midlevel DOJ guy who came up with a plan to overturn the election results in various states with competing slates of bogus electors and Trump then tries to make him Attorney General. The then AG and Trump's White House counsel told this guy his plan was illegal and that he's a fucking environmental lawyer, "go back to your office and we'll call you when there's an oil spill", and they told Trump they and half the DOJ would resign if Trump made him AG. If Trump gets in again he'll make him AG and replace the resignees with a bunch of goons and yes men. Banana republic overnight.

Here's the article if you're interested:

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/22/tru...an-second-term

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Judging by the intensity of Trump-ism in sections of the population, I'd be inclined to agree with that.
    Who says this?

I do, for starters.

Trump-ology is here to stay and diehard fanatics will flock to push him over the top.

Even if he were to lose, he'll just claim (again) that the election was stolen, and all hell will break loose.

I think Trump is the only GOP candidate that Biden/whoever could possibly beat. There hasn't been a combination of inflation/high gas/energy prices like this since the seventies which was a sucession of one term presidents. It's doomed Biden or whoever else runs almost certainly. Only Trump and all his baggage could possibly give the Democrats a win in 2024.

I'd say "whoever".

No chance in hell Biden tries for re-election at 82 years of age.

Gotta wonder who the Dems are going to trot out there for 2024. I'd say Harris is out of the question (hopefully). So that leaves... who?

On the GOP side, I'd take anyone but Trump. "Lesser of all evils", and all that....

If it's DeSantis, well... at least chances are he won't seek the destruction of democracy with the same zeal the Orange Clown was doing while in power.

On a Silver Lining Dept point of view... I seriously doubt DeSantis would introduce himself as:

"Hi. I'm Ron DeSantis. I'm male, and my pronouns are "he" and "him." I'm wearing a dark blue blazer with a MAGA button on it."

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's doing everything that somebody running for president does. Some of the people who've given him cheques meet the GOP nominee face to face every four years and get assurances from them they'll get what they want in return for financial backing. These gentlemen don't give a fuck who the governor of Florida is, they're giving him money now because he's told them he's running for president. They're not paying for him to win the governor race.

One of Orban's advisors saying he's a Nazi is surprising. He must have a nice job offer outside Hungary. Orban is speaking at a conservative conference in America this week. Before 2015 that would have been newsworthy, similarly GOP congresspeople speaking at white nationalist conventions in America. Happens all the time now and generally doesn't make the news.

Trump's speech was good. If he gets back into office the party of states' rights is going to make the national guard a domestic military force that the president can send into a state against the wishes of the governor to quell domestic protests. Amongst a whole bunch of other fascist/banana republic stuff.
    I guess we will have a bit of trump v de santis, young Ron is fairly popular up in Canada too, could be an interesting selection.. :S

I saw the or an thing and just thought it was a joke, as in its not that ridiculous yet but it is ..... I ain't a fan of or an I'm no rainbow flag waver but that guys pretty vile and really likes Russia, i was actually supporting england when they played the Hungarians in the nations league and no offense i really don't like the English football team(bitter jock)...

Trump's speeches this week have been a bit worrying, camps outside of the cities for the homeless, he was praising xi for his quick trial executions in Arizona and now a nice police state too... Good thing it's those leftists that are trying to form the police state or the Americans would be getting worried about trump round 2.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who says this?

I do, for starters.

I'd say "whoever".

No chance in hell Biden tries for re-election at 82 years of age.

Gotta wonder who the Dems are going to trot out there for 2024. I'd say Harris is out of the question (hopefully). So that leaves... who?

On the GOP side, I'd take anyone but Trump. "Lesser of all evils", and all that....

If it's DeSantis, well... at least chances are he won't seek the destruction of democracy with the same zeal the Orange Clown was doing while in power.

On a Silver Lining Dept point of view... I seriously doubt DeSantis would introduce himself as:

"Hi. I'm Ron DeSantis. I'm male, and my pronouns are "he" and "him." I'm wearing a dark blue blazer with a MAGA button on it."

Chuck Grassley is 86 and running for a new six year Senate term. These fuckers just will not stop. Biden could be the least worst Democratic option in 2024. Harris would be a fucking world historical disaster, who else is there? Boot edge edge would be my pick. Fantastic on television. Best Democratic pol since Clinton at this stuff, including Obama:

https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/1546138792930824199

If he did run in 2024 it would be horrific for gay people. Right wing media and let's face it half the GOP pols would be calling gay people paedophiles, groomers and so on and there'd be a huge increase in violence against gay people.

How far DeSantis or any future GOP prez will go down the fascism/banana republic route is the biggest most important question in America today. The problem is they're led by their base, they're all terrified of being accused of not being MAGA enough, being primaried by a MAGA nutcase and being out on their arse. De Santic could go from being blue eyed boy to deep state plant and a traitor and HANG RON DESANTIS in a flash if he goes moderate after getting the nomination ot after becoming prez. The direction the GOP is going in is terrifying.

The Harris thing with the pronouns is horrific, she's a shockingly bad politician but I'd take a load of bullshit over pronouns and intersectionality and diversity and all the related garbage over a party that's going to wreck the country. There's a reason democracy at least used to be venerated in America. I'm sure we'll discuss this soon enough.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post

I guess we will have a bit of trump v de santis, young Ron is fairly popular up in Canada too, could be an interesting selection.. :S

I saw the or an thing and just thought it was a joke, as in its not that ridiculous yet but it is ..... I ain't a fan of or an I'm no rainbow flag waver but that guys pretty vile and really likes Russia, i was actually supporting england when they played the Hungarians in the nations league and no offense i really don't like the English football team(bitter jock)...

Trump's speeches this week have been a bit worrying, camps outside of the cities for the homeless, he was praising xi for his quick trial executions in Arizona and now a nice police state too... Good thing it's those leftists that are trying to form the police state or the Americans would be getting worried about trump round 2.

Trump just can't wait to get back in power and shoot some demonstrators.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

What would really give them best route is fracturing the base vote and another candidate palooza. There were 101 Republican candidates for 2016 and a genuine unified malice towards the Walking Pants suit Hillary. That stoked fire is gone now and I do not see a DeSantis and Pence tucking their tales and kneeling to the retread empty repeat of Trump again. Time is not on Trumps side that's why he wants to announce so early desperate to maintain what he once had in center polarizing focus. But that ship has sailed I really do think so.

The fucking thing ate my post. Motherfucker. Here we go again.

It's going to be a Trump-DeSantis cage match.

I don't think Mike Pence has any chance of winning the Hang Mike Pence Party nomination. I really feel that Hang Mike Pence voters will not find him a compelling candidate. Instead he's going to continue to support the guy who was happy to see him murdered while fractionally differentiating himself from Trump in order to stand against him on his path to an inevitable ninth place finish in Iowa.

DeSantis is the favoured candidate of the legacy/establishment GOP. Fox is behind him. The GOP is actually telling other candidates to stand aside. On a certain level it would be funny as hell if Trump wrecks him like a Ted Cruz or similar in the primaries. And there's a lot to go at. He'll be accused of being a fake MAGA and a phoney and so on and Trump actually has lots of evidence to work with. DeSantia supported a bunch of Medicare privatisation schemes when he was a congresscritter, probably the same with Social Security etc. I'm sure we'll find out anyway.

I'm willing to believe that Trump's support will collapse when GOP voters see DeSantis. But what happens then? Before it's really obvious Trump will leave the GOP, claim they're been taken over by the deep state and run as an independent. The only thing that will stop him being on the ballot in November 2024 is his health and the fucker is indestructible. McDonalds and KFC every day and no exercise really work for him.
    DeSantis wouldn't even mutter Trumps name doing the Turning point usa meet up. Sooner or never he's going to need to sac up and be willing to punch the guy in his figurative nose. We all know Trump will play you close enough just long enough to get the shiv in your back. DeSantis is more worried about gaslighting and what's in someone else's pants rather than what's evidently missing in his. He'll continue with the shiny objects of the war on woke goofiness and making sure educators and businesses are whitewashed of historical accuracies and facts around race by Government EO and lawsuits. Hooray "small government".

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    DeSantis wouldn't even mutter Trumps name doing the Turning point usa meet up. Sooner or never he's going to need to sac up and be willing to punch the guy in his figurative nose. We all know Trump will play you close enough just long enough to get the shiv in your back. DeSantis is more worried about gaslighting and what's in someone else's pants rather than what's evidently missing in his. He'll continue with the shiny objects of the war on woke goofiness and making sure educators and businesses are whitewashed of historical accuracies and facts around race by Government EO and lawsuits. Hooray "small government".

DeSantis is basically a Trump tribute act. Whatever got traction on Fox since the last election he's jumped out in front of. Banning a theory from schools that they don't teach anyway, banning books or whatever, he's made himself the face of it and Fox have given him fawning coverage.

But he has a pre-MAGA record when he was in congress. He voted for a whole load of Paul Ryan bills that cut various programmes like Medicare that Trump says he won't touch. He's bound to have voted for stuff that doesn't look so good in the current era. Trump will have a lot of actual factual stuff to attack him with added on to the usual smears and made up bullshit.

Ron's biggest problem though is Don's insistence that he won in 2020. Don has the majority of GOP voters and an even bigger majority of GOP primary voters believing as an article of faith that he won. Ron hasn't said outright that he won and Don will hammer him until he either does or doesn't. If Ron says Don didn't win it's ammunition for the deep state phoney MAGA line of attack. If Ron says Don did win then why is Ron even running for the nomination when the real prez who had the election stolen from him should be allowed to retake his throne? Ron should be supporting Don, not running against him. Awkward situation for Ron here.

I have managed to avoid seeing even a second of Ron on the telly but I understand he is less than charismatic with a whiny nasal voice. Not sure how true this is but I can see him imploding on stage in a debate and Trump just steamrollering the field. Scott Walker was the blue eyed governor last time out and just got hammered in no time.

But I can also see him winning. Imagine if he does win and has Trump backseat driving his presidency on a daily basis. No room for moderation at all. The base starting to growl if he isn't full on MAGA all the time. If he doesn't strip the top layers of the Pentagon and all the major law enforcement agencies Trump will be calling him a deep state plant. American politics is going to be very interesting over the next years unfortunately.

In a preview of coming attractions here's the next GOP Attorney General:

outside his house in his underwear while the FBI raid his house. He also appeared infront of the January 6th committee and took the fifth to endless questions. I'm pretty sure pre 2016 that would have been enough to disqualify you from the top law enforcement job in the country but now it's probably the best possible stuff you could have on your CV.

One thing about being a con man in the public eye for any length of time is that you eventually produce so much evidence of what you are you leave multiple lines of attack for your enemies to start working on. Here's the start of another one:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/where-d...24-11658953140

Trump related:

Big spending Joe Biden not spending nearly as much as bigger spending Donald Trump, a man who ramped up government spending so much he was running trillion dollar deficits in the middle of an economic expansion:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/st...64546240675840

Not Trump-related but grimly funny. Who would have though Alex Jones's lawyer would behave like this:

https://twitter.com/JJGass/status/1552424402112942085

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This guy was responsible for some of the biggest stories of the last twenty years at the Washington Post, is now retired and writes the occasional article on things he thinks are significant. I agree this is significant. Worth two minutes of your time:

How Six States Could Overturn the 2024 Election

The Supreme Court may let state legislatures decide the presidency.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-power/670992/

Relatedly, here's Benito Alito:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1552743092150800384

Here are Senate Republicans celebrating after they blocked a bill earlier today to help veterans who have been exposed to burn pits…

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/statu...17107712311296

Fist bumps. Lovely.

Related:

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/stat...11466058399744

and

https://twitter.com/PamKeithFL/statu...59882266578945

Finally Ron versus Don latest polling. This is a national poll by a pollster with a good record. Ron less than ten points behind Don. He's the second choice of the majority though so if you take out all the also rans he's actually a few points ahead. Don has to be worried.
    https://twitter.com/ArgoJournal/stat...52349207388160
    Pence is a solid second. The GOP VP historically has been the front runner next time out whenever they've run in recent decades. Pence is counting on that but this is not the GOP of previous decades. He's definitely the first VP they've explicitly wanted to hang. Nevertheless he looks a good bet for third place in Iowa and a few other states before he bows to reality.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As Forum Gay Emeritus I just thought I'd remind you all what a big difference a little makeup can make to your appearance.

Sleepy Joe doesn't look so bad now after seeing that.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A Texas man who joined the US Capitol riot armed with a holstered pistol and threatened his own children to keep quiet about his role has been sentenced to more than seven years in prison.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62382492
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Poor fella is being shed and leashed up by Repubs in real time, and he knows there's fook all he can do now pre mid terms so he plays golf. That ship has sailed..I also think Dems funding kook R candidates to bolster a "win" for them is outright cowardly. This is our politics

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Will Ivana help Donald Trump with tax breaks from beyond the grave?

First wife’s resting place in Trump’s New Jersey golf course might benefit ex-husband’s long-held tax planning purposes

When Ivana Trump, Donald Trump’s first wife, was buried last month near the first hole of Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey, few immediately guessed that her grave’s location might also serve her ex-husband’s long-held tax planning purposes.

Tax code in New Jersey exempts cemetery land from all taxes, rates, and assessments – and her grave, as such, potentially has advantageous tax implications for a Trump family trust that owns the golf business, in a state where property and land taxes are notoriously high.

According to documents published by ProPublica, the Trump family trust previously sought to designate a nearby property in Hackettstown, New Jersey, as a non-profit cemetery company.

But Ivana Trump, who died earlier this month at 73 after a fall at her home in New York City’s Manhattan, is the first person known to have been buried at the golf course, where Donald Trump and his family spend a lot of time in the summers.

Under New Jersey’s tax code, cemetery companies are not only exempt from real estate taxes, rates, and assessments or personal property taxes, but also from business taxes, sales taxes, income taxes, and inheritance taxes, according to Insider.

Brooke Harrington, a professor of sociology at Dartmouth college in New Hampshire, tweeted on Saturday that she had looked into claims that Ivana Trump’s resting place might benefit her ex-husband’s tax planning from beyond the grave.

Advertisement

“As a tax researcher, I was skeptical of rumors Trump buried his ex-wife in that sad little plot of dirt on his Bedminster, NJ golf course just for tax breaks. So I checked the NJ tax code & folks…it’s a trifecta of tax avoidance. Property, income & sales tax, all eliminated,” Harrington wrote, after opinions accusing Trump of being primarily motivated by the possibility of a tax break began popping up on social media.

Harrington later tweeted the full New Jersey tax code for cemetery land. While there is no stipulation for the amount of human remains necessary in order to qualify for the break, sales of wreaths, larger evergreen arrangements, flowers and other similar items are taxable.

While saying she was surprised about the tax suggestions she also accused Donald Trump of burying his wife in “little more than a pauper’s grave” and as a result disgracing the three children they had together, Ivanka, Don Jr and Eric.

Previous reports have suggested that Ivana’s former husband has planned to build different types of cemetery operations at the Bedminster golf course.

Last week it was the venue for the Saudi Arabia-backed LIV Golf tournament and was the focus of protests by some families of victims of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the US, after Donald Trump previously joined opinions that the kingdom was behind the Al-Qaida plot to hijack passenger jets and crash them into World Trade Centre in New York and the Pentagon.

Advertisement

US public radio station NPR reported in 2012 under the online headline “Fairway to Heaven” that Trump planned to build himself a mausoleum on the property, prompting some local objections. That proposal was later expanded to a cemetery that could contain upwards of a 1,000 graves.

That plan was later dropped and replaced with a design for a “10-plot private family cemetery” in the same spot, and refined again into a proposal for a commercial 284-plot cemetery, the station reported.

Ivana Trump was buried in a plot close to the first tee of the golf course, following her funeral in Manhattan on 20 July. Her resting place is marked with a rudimentary wreath of white flowers and an engraved granite stone.

However it is unlikely that the 1.5 acre plot would deliver tax exemptions to the entire Bedminster property – any break only applies so long as the plot is less than 10 acres.

But every break counts, and the former president has previously designated the plot as a farm because some trees on the site are turned into mulch used for flower beds, according to the Washington Post.

Trump’s notions to partially designate the golf course as a cemetery date to at least 2014. Plans then filed with local and state authorities listed a proposal for a pair of graveyards – one for the family, another with 284 plots for sale. The Washington Post noted that buyers, presumably avid golfers, “could pay for a kind of eternal membership” to the club.

But Trump, true to form, had not at that time settled on a course of action. Robert Holtaway, a Bedminster town official, said he had doubts about the cemetery plans. “It never made any sense to me”. But, he added, “we don’t question motives. We’re there as a land-use board”.

Advertisement

Trump already has a plot at All Faiths Cemetery in Jamaica, Queens, close to his mother and father, but plans for his Bedminster mausoleum were suitably grandiose: 19 feet high, in stone, with obelisks, and planted smack in the middle of the course.

Trump has kept silent about his plans for how the “Eternal Donald” will be commemorated in the earthly realm. In 2007, then aged 60, he told the New York Post that the golden course mausoleum was a rational choice.

“It’s never something you like to think about, but it makes sense,” he told the paper’s Page Six column. “This is such beautiful land, and Bedminster is one of the richest places in the country.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...f-course-taxes
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information