123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Today in Trump

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Fox News has settled a defamation lawsuit from the voting machine company, Dominion, over its reporting of the 2020 presidential election.

In a last-minute settlement before trial, the network agreed to pay $787.5m (£634m) - about half of the $1.6bn initially sought by Dominion.

Dominion argued its business was harmed by Fox spreading false claims the vote had been rigged against Donald Trump.

The deal spares Fox executives such as Rupert Murdoch from having to testify.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65318654

I think Fox got off easy. Dominion should've held their feet to the fire.

The biggest judgement ever in a defamation case was about $220 million. But then it was vacated on appeal and the people on the hook, Dow Jones newspapers didn't have to pay a dollar of the award. This is something Dominion were well aware of. Even if they'd won a billion dollar judgement then it stood s huge chance of being drastically reduced or quashed entirely by a higher court, and as you go up the appeals system in America the courts get more and more pro corporate/big business/big guy over the little guy culminating in the Supreme Court which is comically so. Dominion is owned by a private equity firm. It has revenues, not profits, of about a hundred million dollars a year and profits of a few million. The total value of every asset the private equity fund own is less than a billion dollars, so this judgement basically doubled their net worth overnight. There was no way they could turn it down.

It would have been nice to have six weeks of bombshells about what was going on behind the scenes at Fox but it wouldn't have made any difference. People who aren't Fox viewers are looking at it and thinking what they're thinking. Fox viewers, to the extent they're hearing anything from conservative media by and large don't want to know about it or think about it. They need their safe space, media that will tell them what they want to hear regardless of reality so they don't want to hear anything bad about Fox. They need a source of new they can trust to lie to them. Fox can only lose them by telling them the truth which is how they ended up having to pay out what will eventually be a couple of billion dollars, because when they started telling them the truth about the election the viewers deserted them for Newsmax and One America and Fox had to start lying about Dominion and other shit to get them to come back.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fox News has settled a defamation lawsuit from the voting machine company, Dominion, over its reporting of the 2020 presidential election.

In a last-minute settlement before trial, the network agreed to pay $787.5m (£634m) - about half of the $1.6bn initially sought by Dominion.

Dominion argued its business was harmed by Fox spreading false claims the vote had been rigged against Donald Trump.

There is another company suing for the same thing so maybe they will.

The other company are after two point seven billion. After this judgement you've got to figure they get over a billion. Dominion are also suing Newsmax and One America news, two much smaller versions of Fox News who don't have much money and wouldn't be able to pay much in the way of fines. They're likely going to trial and will be shitting themselves after this judgement. Then there are a bunch of private individuals Dominion are suing. Rudy Giuliani, Sidney Powell, the pillow guy and others. You've got to figure Dominion go to trial with these fuckers and expose as much of their bullshit as they can as noisily as possible.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Georgia investigation latest:

The Fulton County District Attorney’s office said some fake electors for Donald Trump have implicated each other in potential criminal activity and is seeking to disqualify their lawyer, according to a new court filing.
    The district attorney’s office is requesting that attorney Kimberly Bourroughs Debrow be disqualified from representing a group of 10 Republicans who served as electors for the former president in Georgia – a state Trump lost to President Joe Biden. The DA’s office also accused the lawyer of failing to present an immunity deal to her clients last year, according to the filing.
    The new filing offers the latest indication that immunity offers could still be in the works months after Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis suggested charging decisions were “imminent.”

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/18/p...ors/index.html

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

The biggest judgement ever in a defamation case was about $220 million. But then it was vacated on appeal and the people on the hook, Dow Jones newspapers didn't have to pay a dollar of the award. This is something Dominion were well aware of. Even if they'd won a billion dollar judgement then it stood s huge chance of being drastically reduced or quashed entirely by a higher court, and as you go up the appeals system in America the courts get more and more pro corporate/big business/big guy over the little guy culminating in the Supreme Court which is comically so. Dominion is owned by a private equity firm. It has revenues, not profits, of about a hundred million dollars a year and profits of a few million. The total value of every asset the private equity fund own is less than a billion dollars, so this judgement basically doubled their net worth overnight. There was no way they could turn it down.

It would have been nice to have six weeks of bombshells about what was going on behind the scenes at Fox but it wouldn't have made any difference. People who aren't Fox viewers are looking at it and thinking what they're thinking. Fox viewers, to the extent they're hearing anything from conservative media by and large don't want to know about it or think about it. They need their safe space, media that will tell them what they want to hear regardless of reality so they don't want to hear anything bad about Fox. They need a source of new they can trust to lie to them. Fox can only lose them by telling them the truth which is how they ended up having to pay out what will eventually be a couple of billion dollars, because when they started telling them the truth about the election the viewers deserted them for Newsmax and One America and Fox had to start lying about Dominion and other shit to get them to come back.

I know Dominion's gotta do what's best for Dominion... and good for them. Plus if what you say is true about the higher courts and how they side with big business... it probably wasn't worth the risk. You never can tell how courts are going to rule in specific cases... but again, can't fault Dominion for taking the money.

But... I'm gonna have to disagree on your take on what viewers on both sides would've reacted like, had Fox been dragged over the coals on this one.

We both are of similar mindsets when it comes to the American public, for the most part. All I gotta do is think about the fanbases of aliens like MTG, Boebert, Graham, and others... to see that many people are beyond hope when it comes to rational thought. But in an ideal situation where Fox's lies had been laid bare for all to see... I'm sorry. Even the most moronic of fanatical zombies would've had something stir in their minds. Yes... I still remember when Sean Spicer said with a straight face that Trump's inaugural crowd was larger than Obama's... so I'm well aware of some people's ability to look at a white wall and insist that it's black. But DAMN... an ideal situation judicial process, where Fox's blatant lies were exposed over and over again... and judgments were handed down... that's the sort of reality you just can't wish away.

I say all that... then visions pop into my mind where some GOP lawmakers insisted on live television that January 6th had been a peaceful stroll to the Capitol.

So although I'm arguing a point... my heart's not entirely IN it.

All we can hope for is that Smartmatic's lawsuit goes as well (or better) than Dominion's... and that Fox News can be damaged beyond repair. Meanwhile... some of Trump's high profile Minions like Giuliani, and that clown with the pillow company can get raked over the coals as well.

Gotta spread the love.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The most mind blowing thing about all of this is how...even after Murdoch, the biggest and most powerful mainstream media mogul this planet has ever seen, describing Trump as 'My good friend Donald Trump' the Trumpoids will still insist that Trump is some kind of alternative voice, the anti-estabishment candidate, the one the elite want to silence.

Brain washing on a massive scale.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's being said that Murdoch could've avoided all the headaches and the $787 million if only his bumbling newscasters had uttered three simple words whenever they reported on the alleged election fraud.

"If it's true..."

But they stupidly left themselves open to the lawsuits by violating one of the simplest, most basic laws of responsible journalism.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know Dominion's gotta do what's best for Dominion... and good for them. Plus if what you say is true about the higher courts and how they side with big business... it probably wasn't worth the risk. You never can tell how courts are going to rule in specific cases... but again, can't fault Dominion for taking the money.

But... I'm gonna have to disagree on your take on what viewers on both sides would've reacted like, had Fox been dragged over the coals on this one.

We both are of similar mindsets when it comes to the American public, for the most part. All I gotta do is think about the fanbases of aliens like MTG, Boebert, Graham, and others... to see that many people are beyond hope when it comes to rational thought. But in an ideal situation where Fox's lies had been laid bare for all to see... I'm sorry. Even the most moronic of fanatical zombies would've had something stir in their minds. Yes... I still remember when Sean Spicer said with a straight face that Trump's inaugural crowd was larger than Obama's... so I'm well aware of some people's ability to look at a white wall and insist that it's black. But DAMN... an ideal situation judicial process, where Fox's blatant lies were exposed over and over again... and judgments were handed down... that's the sort of reality you just can't wish away.

I say all that... then visions pop into my mind where some GOP lawmakers insisted on live television that January 6th had been a peaceful stroll to the Capitol.

All we can hope for is that Smartmatic's lawsuit goes as well (or better) than Dominion's... and that Fox News can be damaged beyond repair. Meanwhile... some of Trump's high profile Minions like Giuliani, and that clown with the pillow company can get raked over the coals as well.

Gotta spread the love.
    No matter what came out at a trial Fox viewers are going to stick with Fox so long as Fox keep giving them their daily dose of anger heroin. The only way Fox lose their audience is if they start telling them the truth.

This is the only polling I've seen on it and nothing else shows up via google:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/fox...st-1235554399/

Of the Fox viewers who even know about the court case and the leaked texts and emails only about a fifth of them trust Fox less. But that's now. In a few months this will all be ancient history, Fox will have come up with some new culture war shit, another CRT or tranny swimmer or something that really grabs their audience and lets them know Fox covers the issues they want covering in the way that they want covering and they're back to a hundred percent trust again. All the current Dominion/Smartmatic stuff will be water under the bridge.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gotta spread the love.
    No matter what came out at a trial Fox viewers are going to stick with Fox so long as Fox keep giving them their daily dose of anger heroin. The only way Fox lose their audience is if they start telling them the truth.

Of the Fox viewers who even know about the court case and the leaked texts and emails only about a fifth of them trust Fox less. But that's now. In a few months this will all be ancient history, Fox will have come up with some new culture war shit, another CRT or tranny swimmer or something that really grabs their audience and lets them know Fox covers the issues they want covering in the way that they want covering and they're back to a hundred percent trust again. All the current Dominion/Smartmatic stuff will be water under the bridge.

It gives me no pleasure to say that you're 100 percent correct.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    The most mind blowing thing about all of this is how...even after Murdoch, the biggest and most powerful mainstream media mogul this planet has ever seen, describing Trump as 'My good friend Donald Trump' the Trumpoids will still insist that Trump is some kind of alternative voice, the anti-estabishment candidate, the one the elite want to silence.

Brain washing on a massive scale.
    That's what Murdoch is saying in public. He's doing his best to smooth things over with Trump as it looks like he's going to be the nominee and around for years to come.

“The more I think about McConnell’s remarks or complaint, the more I agree,” Murdoch wrote in an email on Biden’s Inauguration Day. “Trump insisting on the election being stolen and convincing 25 percent of Americans was a huge disservice to the country. Pretty much a crime. Inevitable it blew up Jan. 6th. Best we don’t mention his name unless essential and certainly don’t support him. We have to respect people of principle and if it comes to the Senate, don’t take sides. I know he is being over-demonized, but he brought it on himself.”

and

“Stupid and damaging,” Murdoch continues, referring to a news conference by the then Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani. “The only one encouraging Trump and misleading him. Both increasingly mad. The real danger is what he might do as president.”
    In a text, Murdoch described the claims of election fraud as “really crazy stuff”.

Murdoch tried to dump Trump after the insurrection but Fox viewers wouldn't let him. After he'd got his audience back Trump vanished from Fox for months on end while Murdoch promoted Ron DeSantis, the most plausible Trump alternative for the 2024 nomination. DeSantis was on Fox on an almost daily basis and Fox and a lot of conservative media have done everything possible to promote his candidacy for 2024. The GOP establishment such as it is doesn't want Trump back. They don't want some crazy coup attempting unstable fucker running things. They like the policies, and Trump's policies were just standard GOP stuff, but they don't like the crazy stuff and the potential end of democracy. For both the GOP and Murdoch though it's increasingly looking like they're stuck with him though.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gotta spread the love.

It gives me no pleasure to say that you're 100 percent correct.

It's a real problem when a significant chunk of the country is so radicalised that they'd support anything, even political violence, if it means that their side is in power. Fox led the way with radicalising these people but the advent of the internet made it inevitable. If it hadn't been Murdoch and Fox it would have been somebody else. Now there's this huge chunk of permanently angry polarised radicalised people who are going to be a permanent ongoing threat to democracy. If Fox even tried to dial down the crazy these people will just go elsewhere and probably splinter between even crazier media outlets. Fox are stuck in a room with the Frankenstein monster they created.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly WTF are you smoking G.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tucker and Don Zitrone have both been fired on the same day, maybe some weird job swap incoming.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fox Corporation’s market value tumbled by almost 5% on Monday, erasing $930 million, after announcing that Tucker Carlson was leaving the network.

Shares of the media company pared the losses slightly and were trading at $29.61, down almost 4% at noon eastern.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

“The reason to watch Fox, you’ve got Maria (Bartiromo) in the morning, Jesse (Watters), he is getting there, but Tucker’s really the reason,” said former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.

“With this, I don’t know any reason to watch the Murdoch empire,” he added

Thread Information