Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Charlo vs. Lubin- I figured it would end like....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Charlo vs. Lubin- I figured it would end like....

... like an old classic ko, but not as dramatic, but time and ko it sure was. It reminded me when Jaidon Codrington was knocked out by Allen "Sweetness" Green. The build up was Codrington talking smack, running through "ok" competition, and the kicker was he was on some boxing TV show- cannot remember the name.

Well, let me post the clip of the Green/Codrington mugging first. Then will post the 2 minute highlight clip of the Charlo/Lubin ko.

Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Charlo vs. Lubin- I figured it would end like....

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wasn't privy to the pre fight hype as i didn't have my eye on it. From the footage reran by showtime, it already looked liked they were in two different weight classes at the weigh in. Lubin looked confident but not serious. I knew from the walk out he was going to get mashed. he looked cold, and like he spent more time giving grandma directions on how to make his outfit. I'm not saying he has no talent, but from his last fights, barring the heavy punches he was throwing he didn't look very fluid. A certain amount of fear is good for a fighter. It keeps you sharp and focused. He had none of that last night... almost like he was supposed to be handed a title only his opponent didn't read the script. He could conceivably come back, but I wouldn't be on it at this point. (I doubt the kid even knows what he did wrong)
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yup. He was clearly a semi-amateur boxer who just happens to be a great athletic specimen, who was hyped up into quality fights at an early onset without knowing the full game of the professional league. Boxing has tonnes of those guys who look the part and who had decent amatuer boxing careers- between 30 and 60 fights, and look the part but clearly have not developed into the sport long enough.

Say what you want about the CharloeBullshitters, they grew up in the sport and have a mentality for the game. They just need to fight GGG, or even Danny Jacobs for Christ's sake.
    Last edited by ykdadamaja; 10-17-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Yup. He was clearly a semi-amateur boxer who just happens to be a great athletic specimen, who was hyped up into quality fights at an early onset without knowing the full game of the professional league. Boxing has tonnes of those guys who look the part and who had decent amatuer boxing careers- between 30 and 60 fights, and look the part but clearly have not developed into the sport long enough.

Say what you want about the CharloeBullshitters, they grew up in the sport and have a mentality for the game. They just need to fight GGG, or even Danny Jacobson for Christ's sake.
    Perhaps you should look at your other thread about Charlo and look up GGGs trainer saying they wouldn’t fight Charlo, even if forced they would make him wait as long as possible before you blame Charlo for that one not happening.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is seriously f’d up people let their fandom decide things to the extent one guy can want the fight and another can openly say they don’t and the guy that wants the fight gets blamed. Sometimes you have to put your fandom aside and look at the evidence.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are being unfair to Lubin. I’m not at all saying it was a lucky punch because it was set up, but it so happened to land in the perfect spot. I think that Lubin will come back from this and have success. He is still young and got thrown in there with IMO the best 154 pounder in the world. I think that he could have beaten Hurd potentially.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lubin was waiting to get ko'd that fight. I knew it would have ended like that. He simply was not ready for that level of competition. He should have waited and took fights until people asked for it to happen, and then he may have been seasoned. Now, he may have damaged his confidence in taking a fight like that KNOWING FULL WELL- his trainers, and promoters, that is- that he simply just was not ready for a showdown at even a Charlo level.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We won't know until Lubin is in the ring again. In almost any fight, people make huge mistakes here and there that they don't pay for, that's part of the sport. If these two could somehow fight 10 times in the same form as they did, I highly doubt a first round KO would occur more than once. To me, Lubin looked pretty capable and poised right until he got caught. Of course sometimes losses like that damage a guy irreparably, or maybe it showed us something he won't be able to iron out, but(as usual) you are being a dumbass, Damaja.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    We won't know until Lubin is in the ring again. In almost any fight, people make huge mistakes here and there that they don't pay for, that's part of the sport. If these two could somehow fight 10 times in the same form as they did, I highly doubt a first round KO would occur more than once. To me, Lubin looked pretty capable and poised right until he got caught. Of course sometimes losses like that damage a guy irreparably, or maybe it showed us something he won't be able to iron out, but(as usual) you are being a dumbass, Damaja.
    LOL! He was not ready. I was watching Lubin, he simply was not ready. His level of competition was easy to cut through. We have them in boxing from time to time, guys who get up there but clearly there is a difference between them and the top 5. He was not at top 5 level, and may not even be top 10. I hate to see that happen like that BECAUSE I remember guys like David Reid, who really did not need to take the Trinidad fight when he did. He just did not need to at that time.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always have hesitation to write a fighter off based on a single early loss but I have my doubts about Lubin going forward. Not completely and the kid is without question talented and has the desire, but on a higher tier and championship picture. He'll return and retool with some success but he just strikes me as a type that will always be wound very tight and can make few mistakes without paying dearly. Not saying his chin is a shell but the best I can tell he's been dropped three times leading into Charlo and also hurt off right hands. More importantly he isn't hard to miss, regardless of power. Charlo caught him clean and better fighters have also dropped like Lubin did. If he's looking to put lipstick on a pig I think it's better to be sparked one & done punch wise. He didn't take a shellacking or show continual flaws and that he could not find adjustments so the jury is still very much out on his best form and that's good. I also think it's better that young prospects take a brutal loss before they've been trumped up on main stage and steered to a easy title riding everyone else's expectations and then plummet. Now sure Lubin was hyped a bit but this had more of a throw him in and lets see what our investment truly holds feel. A sink or swim type match made for him. The guy had yet to even headline a card, any card and was often stuffed in a 3rd, 4th spot under contenders. It was said leading in that he was a bit green and on plus side it may be better that he fell where he stood in actual development and not from a false pedestal. Lots of pluses for him should promotion stick by him in rebuilding and not just cast him into another huge test right off. But I just have a sneaking feeling and cannot put my finger on it that we'll see him doing the robot on that canvas again when those steps come. Could be totally wrong and hope to be. Until then take this knock, don't fear it don't deny it and do most to get in front of it and stay humble about it. Yeh I got caught buy arguably the best 154 guy going and move on. That will do much the next time the bell rings for him. Some come back trying to overcompensate and some gun shy. Tons of guys have taken early devastating kos but very few were as truly without depth or went without facing even hot and cold journeymen as Lubin did. I say it 101 times a year after prospects fall flat and in this day and age of over exposure it doesn't really happen..but get him off the air for a couple fights. Reasonable expectations and return intelligently. Often a guy has less to say about his return than his promotion does..their faith and patience..and Lubin doesn't strike me as a guy who will turn down another tough opponent right out.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    LOL! He was not ready. I was watching Lubin, he simply was not ready. His level of competition was easy to cut through. We have them in boxing from time to time, guys who get up there but clearly there is a difference between them and the top 5. He was not at top 5 level, and may not even be top 10. I hate to see that happen like that BECAUSE I remember guys like David Reid, who really did not need to take the Trinidad fight when he did. He just did not need to at that time.
    Given the fact that Reid started his pro career with a permanent eye injury and reached the level he had Reid did very well for himself. He was a case of a guys star getting ahead of him as he was already knocking off ranked contenders and steered to a title straight from Olympic Gold so early that there was no going back or avoiding being targeted by media super star Tito moving up in weight. If it wasn't Tito I remember Hopkins speaking on it but either way he was marked and his own media pedestal and trinket were the door prizes.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Went in rooting for Charlo and boy what a KO, but that post fight interview soured me on him and his brother. Acted like total punk assholes.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Charlo brothers used to be very quiet and reserved. It seems as if they realized that they were talented fighters who were flying under the radar so they decided to do the Floyd Mayweather and become the bad guys.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not a HUGE fan of the Charlo brothers, aside from the fact that because they are twins they have a bit of sideshow to them like the Spinks brothers and/or the Klitshko brothers. But, be that as it may, Lubin asked for it- and got embarrassed.

This is why I did not want to see the Errol Spence v Manny Pac fight two years back. While Spence was good, Manny was still SPECTACULAR. Why risk putting him in there, a good talent if developed properly, to be embarrassed? For what!?

Hidden Content

Thread Information