Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Daniel Dubois v Joe Joyce (includes latest Joyce fight vid)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Daniel Dubois v Joe Joyce (includes latest Joyce fight vid)

Two British heavyweight prospects with very different backgrounds. Interested to see what people think is the better path to take.

Dubois, 5-0 with 5 KOs, has just turned 20 and is 6'5 240 pounds. He won a few junior amateur titled and amassed a record of approximately 70-6. At 20 years od he is a baby in the heavyweights. He looks a bit awkward at times in the ring but no question he is a serious banger.

Joyce just turned pro and defeated Ian Lewison by stoppage in his debut. 6'6 and 250 pounds is another big heavyweight but at 32 he is relatively old turning over. He had an extensive amateur career peaking with a silver olympic medal in 2016. I thought he'd looked pretty slow and easy to hit in his pro debut but would probably beat most guys in the top 10 of most of the governing bodies.

I dont think either have given themselves the best platform for a pro career but which do you think is better? What is the right balance when starting a pro career?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Daniel Dubois v Joe Joyce

To a certain extent I get the fast track routine with Joyce. He's 32, which isn't old, but isn't young. They feel he can go in deep and he's got enough pedigree to cope. With Dubois there's no real need of it. 20 years old and they keep peddling this million miles an hour belt every fight ruling the World in a heart beat approach. The issue I've got with it is once you're on it, you kinda have to stick it out no? Great if it pays off and you wipe the floor with everyone and everything. What if he comes a cropper? You've either got to potentially break the kid and say you're not good enough at that level, lets drop back, or you go again at the level that got you found out and hope for the best. You might have another Pele Reid on your hands.

What they do have in common of course is they've both battered Anthony Joshua in sparring, allegedly.

Joyce is weird as fuck to watch, he just looks horrible to me. He's got this kind of slow motion Naz/Augustus drunken master thing going on, with very little pop. He's going to have to work his tits off for every bit of success he gets.

Dubois is a monster at this point and anyone he lets him chin them is going to know about it. He doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed and I wonder about him mentally when the opposite corner doesn't immediately fold.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I did not like the way Joyce fought, I thought he would look better.

Dubois is like a statue but is still young.

At the moment do not rate either to be above British champion.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joyce's chin is a question mark.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Must admit, because i've always known prospects to be brought along the same way (Dubios soft approach) I think Joyce's mob (Haye) were being reckless/pointless starting off at such a level. Where do you go next? And judging by the unflattering comments, even in victory, what was the point?

However, the obvious factor here is, Joyce is a relative fossil that stumbled into a bit of unexpected Olympic glory (don't think he ever intended to be a pro) so they're chancing their arm.

And just listen to the comments Dubois gets. MOST fans really haven't got a clue about levels of opponents (I mean MOST nerd fans in gaff's like this not just the "casual" brigade), it's all about the spectacle, a flashy KO will always make more people take notice than a solid awkward educational fight.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Must admit, because i've always known prospects to be brought along the same way (Dubios soft approach) I think Joyce's mob (Haye) were being reckless/pointless starting off at such a level. Where do you go next? And judging by the unflattering comments, even in victory, what was the point?

However, the obvious factor here is, Joyce is a relative fossil that stumbled into a bit of unexpected Olympic glory (don't think he ever intended to be a pro) so they're chancing their arm.

And just listen to the comments Dubois gets. MOST fans really haven't got a clue about levels of opponents (I mean MOST nerd fans in gaff's like this not just the "casual" brigade), it's all about the spectacle, a flashy KO will always make more people take notice than a solid awkward educational fight.
    Dubois strikes me as a Wilder type potential. Get up to 30-0 with 30 KOs without really facing anyone and try get a stab at a relatively easy world title.

I have said with Joyce before I think a quit hit and run to try and get a payday v Joshua is all he wants. They should target Sexton next then try target Chisora if they can get him on late notice and in bad shape. Maybe Im crazy talking about Chisora so soon but I dont think he has the time to go slowly up the rankings.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joyce is my current favourite heavyweight - mainly because Memphis labeled him the "new human mudslide" but also because he's the new human mudslide.

I actually started laughing a bit in the first round - young Skelton circling whilst popping jabs to the body (Adam Booth, please don't dare try to change him), however, he soon reverts to type, which leaves the old Russian (who Fury swerved, after eyeballing him at the weigh-in, a few years back) exhausted and overwhelmed in mere minutes.

He has the perfect style to beat Wilder.

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Daniel Dubois v Joe Joyce (includes latest Joyce fight vid)

Joyce fights like he is underwater or in slow motion, he'slower than a glacier and his chin is held higher than a garaffes bollocks.
    I just dont see him getting to the top.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Joyce fights like he is underwater or in slow motion, he'slower than a glacier and his chin is held higher than a garaffes bollocks.
    I just dont see him getting to the top.
    Very much so and Dubois as well doesn't fight with any snap on his shots. Power yes, snap, no.

They'll be at the top of the local British fight game, but I think there's a lot of heavyweights out there who could easily outbox them and some who could probably chin them too.

That said Joyce beats Dubois

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think they both look shitty as well. Its funny with Joyce, he seems to always celebrate with some move that is fairly graceful and impressive for a big man, after hes just finished fighting like a retard. I think the winner of Price vs Allen(likely Allen) would make sense for the winner of these two. Im not sure any of them would beat say Chisora, never mind be a threat to the top handful of guys.

Thread Information