Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is a "complete package" fighter?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who is a "complete package" fighter?

On the thread of Who to train: Wilder or AJ, @TitoFan stated that AJ is NOT a complete package fighter yet. I think he is. But, it got me to thinking: Who out there IS a complete package fighter and how do we classify that?

I would say GGG, Crawford, Ward and Canelo are "Complete Package" fighters. They can do anything. Who else would you classify as a complete package?
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is a "complete package" fighter?

James Toney, Bernard Hopkins, Joe Calzaghe, Ali and Barrera. They all evolved and adapted their styles so that by the end they could do pretty much anything. They could box or go to war, but they could do it all. All very different fighters though.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    On the thread of Who to train: Wilder or AJ, @TitoFan stated that AJ is NOT a complete package fighter yet. I think he is. But, it got me to thinking: Who out there IS a complete package fighter and how do we classify that?

I would say GGG, Crawford, Ward and Canelo are "Complete Package" fighters. They can do anything. Who else would you classify as a complete package?
    Chocalito
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By contrast, I think Tyson, though excellent, did what he did and that was all there was. He could slow it down to go the distance, but it was always the same. You never saw him win a fight with a jab alone or move to a decision, or use the ropes very much. I think of Hatton in the same kind of way. There was no evolution as such, but what they did was excellent for the job most of the time in their pomp.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    By contrast, I think Tyson, though excellent, did what he did and that was all there was. He could slow it down to go the distance, but it was always the same. You never saw him win a fight with a jab alone or move to a decision, or use the ropes very much. I think of Hatton in the same kind of way. There was no evolution as such, but what they did was excellent for the job most of the time in their pomp.
    I think OP is asking about current fighters.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If still active Lolenga Mock.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Current: any of the top P4P guys could make a case. Finito was the complete package.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Current: any of the top P4P guys could make a case. Finito was the complete package.
    Yes, perfect in every way. Flawless.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    On my phone so can't like. But two thumbs up sir.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    On my phone so can't like. But two thumbs up sir.
    You have liked me.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea just jumped on the PC in between episodes.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of current fighters I would say no one. Crawford is great at what he does, and can fight from either stance, but I don't see him as having an effective inside game (maybe because he hasn't been forced to yet). Loma is a phenom and overwhelms opponents, but he lost the one inside/ugly fight he has had vs Salido. Canelo struggles vs other counter punchers, and isn't a seek and destroy type fighter. GGG is seek and destroy, but I don't see him as able to move and box or change his style much.

Floyd (sorry Master), Hop, and Ward are 3 fighters I feel were complete in their skill sets. Floyd beat every style and a great example of his versatility was his fight with Hatton where he jabbed, fought off the ropes, countered, attacked the body,and used combos to overwhelm and stop him late. Hop completely befuddled Tito by boxing behind his jab, setting traps on the ropes, fighting inside, showing a world class chin, exhibiting great stamina, and shutting down Tito's offense with great footwork and genius level boxing IQ. Ward beat every style he was faced with in a multitude off ways, against every top fighter and every type of style available.

Some other fighters I thought were complete were:Barrera, Finito, Marvin Hagler, JMM, and a prime Evander Holyfield. James Toney was close, in my opinion, but lacked the feet, stamina, and work ethic to be considered complete.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think a lot less fighters are complete than others. That’s okay, you can be really f’n good, great, without being complete. You just need to master what you do.

Look at GGG, slow as molasses but covers for it with excellent punch selection and educated foot movement.(although I’ve come to believe his footwork is vastly overrated, if there is anything coming back his feet get stuck and he gets clumsy)

Even a phenomenon like Rigo I wouldn’t call complete. But he does his thing darn well.

Crawford seems the logical choice as a complete fighter now. But I need to see him in with Spence or Thurman to say. Sometimes when things get tough guys come completely apart. For me it’s not so much about winning and losing, that happens. But do you stay in the fight, do you solve problems, do you find success in varying ways.(inside/outside/attacking/setting traps) If Crawford keeps his wits against a Spence, win or lose I’d call him complete.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it really is a rarity lately and many young guys, promotion, that would figure to have a chance to be very well rounded don't have the long term mind set to be that. It's an investment made early on as far as making weight, not being bedazzled by an easy belt and not being forced to correct flaws before arriving at the 'big stage'. I mean every fighter has holes to be fair. Stronger areas that tend to shine over lesser ones or have us ask fewer questions. Going today I'd lean to Crawford having the well rounded platform to build on, then again inside game isn't sparkling and may be in large part that he hasn't had to go there and frankly is long overdue to go to 147 in a far deeper proven ground to refine it. He also plays a bit. Same with Loma who surely is talented but only to the level of challenge. And clowning and ass shaking with inferior comp is more a light on your dance partner lacking than it is a testament to your skill level I believe.

El Kabong Guest

Lomachenko is a complete fighter, Rigodeaux is a complete fighter...those guys have pretty much all the tools a fighter can have. Ward, GGG, Crawford, maybe Spence, Thurman are close if not in that category.

I think Anthony Joshua is a complete fighter he just has that Lennox Lewis ability to play down a level and be overconfident or at least he was vs Takam.

Thread Information