Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Wilder-Ortiz set for March 3

It looks like it's a done deal. Sources close to negotiations have told RingTV that Deontay Wilder has come to terms with Luis Ortiz to defend his WBC heavyweight title on a March 3rd Showtime card at Brooklyn's Barclays Center.

If the headline sounds vaguely familiar, it's because Wilder had previously been scheduled to take on Ortiz back in November, but a failed drug test from Ortiz would force that fight to be canceled as the fight neared. Ortiz asserted the banned substances he tested positive for were only to treat his hypertension, and the WBC eventually dropped the issue, clearing him to be reinstated.

Ortiz was once thought to be a serious threat to Wilder's title reign, but at age 38 many wonder if he's too long in the tooth to really make a run at the top of the division. Ortiz can punch, though, and it's not like Wilder's resume is all that deep — so Ortiz still might prove to be his toughest test to date.

https://www.ringtv.com/525581-deonta...ch-3-new-york/
    Last edited by Fenster; 01-01-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Wilder-Ortiz set for March 3

Don’t like this fight at all. I get it why Wilder wants it still but Ortiz shouldn’t be able to fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think I'm done with Ortiz. He can fight and on pure skill level props to Wilder for finally achieving a threating opponent. All else though guy should be nowhere near a prominent stage and chance to make history. The way they, camps promoters and sanctioning body toads winked and scraped this match up into the dust pan for resale is pretty shat. Don't get me wrong someone is definitely getting ktfo but feels risk-reward heavy for Wilder.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good on Wilder for pushing for this match. Huge balls.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As much as I'd like to see this fight, I'd rather have seen it after Joshua - Wilder.

There is a much higher chance of Wilder taking an L here than any of his other fights. Which kind of ruins the two heavyweight undefeated stars going into the ring.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest, I reckon this is perfect for Wilder and he knows it. That's why he's been so hellbent on fighting Ortiz despite him failing a drugs test.
    Ortiz has this big rep, but I have to say in his last couple of fights, he's looked like a fat lump of shit.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fat lump Trumpet
    Donald Crumpet

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder in 8.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer4life View Post
    As much as I'd like to see this fight, I'd rather have seen it after Joshua - Wilder.

There is a much higher chance of Wilder taking an L here than any of his other fights. Which kind of ruins the two heavyweight undefeated stars going into the ring.
    Should Ortiz win, a fight with AJ would still be between 2 undefeated title holders. Possibly a better fight if Ortiz can get back to form.

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    To be honest, I reckon this is perfect for Wilder and he knows it. That's why he's been so hellbent on fighting Ortiz despite him failing a drugs test.
    Ortiz has this big rep, but I have to say in his last couple of fights, he's looked like a fat lump of shit.
    Ortiz is ancient and hasn't looked sharp, Wilder has been feasting on limited opposition. I'm going out on an early limb and thinking Ortiz pulls of the win in this one.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer4life View Post

Should Ortiz win, a fight with AJ would still be between 2 undefeated title holders. Possibly a better fight if Ortiz can get back to form.

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Ortiz is ancient and hasn't looked sharp, Wilder has been feasting on limited opposition. I'm going out on an early limb and thinking Ortiz pulls of the win in this one.
    Yeah thats true, but Ortiz doesn't quite have the star status. As a purist I love to see anyone of these guys with AJ. But with marketing in mind, it doesn't draw nowhere near as many eyes as Wilder vs AJ.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Deontay Wilder to fight Luis Ortiz in New York on 3 March

WBC world heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder will defend his title against Luis Ortiz on Saturday, 3 March at the Barclays Center in New York.

November's original fight was postponed after Ortiz failed a drug test.

Ortiz was fined $25,000 (£18,497) but not banned from the sport as the World Boxing Council said the Cuban took the drugs for high blood pressure.

American Wilder has won all 39 of his professional fights, all but one inside the distance. Ortiz has won all 28.

Britain's Anthony Joshua, who holds the IBF and WBA world heavyweight belts, is in talks with WBO champion Joseph Parker of New Zealand over a potential fight at Cardiff's Principality Stadium on 31 March.

No boxer has simultaneously held the WBC, IBF, WBA and WBO world heavyweight belts, and Wilder is a future target for Joshua.

When the original fight with 38-year-old Ortiz was postponed, Wilder then defended his WBC title against fellow American Bermane Stirmane and won with a first-round knockout.

On Thursday, it was announced that Wilder was ordered to do 60 hours of community service after being found guilty of misdemeanour marijuana possession after he was arrested in Alabama last June.

He received a 30-day suspended sentence and two years of probation and has to perform the community service at a local YMCA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/42670773

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Deontay Wilder to do community service for misdemeanour marijuana possession

WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder was ordered to do 60 hours of community service after being found guilty of misdemeanour marijuana possession.

The 32-year-old American - who has been linked with a 2018 title unification bout with Britain's Anthony Joshua - was arrested in Alabama last June.

He received a 30-day suspended sentence and two years of probation.

Wilder, who defends his title against Luis Ortiz on 3 March, has to perform the community service at a local YMCA.

"We respect the court's ruling. Of course we were hoping a dismissal would be granted," Wilder's lawyer, Paul Patterson, said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/42657636

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m just frustrated that Ortiz is even allowed to fight. The marijuana misdemeanor for Wilder is a joke.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I’m just frustrated that Ortiz is even allowed to fight. The marijuana misdemeanor for Wilder is a joke.
    Yep, Povetkin wasn't treated as well as Ortiz has been.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Yep, Povetkin wasn't treated as well as Ortiz has been.
    Pays to have connections, literally. Really Ortiz never left and arguably hasn't suffered from slap on the wrist. He kept his ranking, promotion kept his name circulating in shows and the wbc all but rolled out the red carpet making excuses. Wilder went from taking the high road and dismissing him as unworthy drug cheat to now doing staged confrontations ring center and clamoring all for a single relevant name.

Thread Information