http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/03/wbc-or...title-7201334/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: WBC orders Jermall Charlo vs Hugo Centeno Jr. for interim title

Sounds as if Canelo may not fight for the WBC title anyway since they upset his delicate soul.

Saunders should hope for a GGG win and a fight in the UK against him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As much as I like Charlo at 160 it's a cakewalk showcase imo, if anything let him fight Saunders who has earned winner. Al Haymon dicking about.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It’s cute the writer thinks anyone is going to fight Charlo(or Jacobs for that matter), naive, but cute. The fighters have been quite clear about this for years. If not the fighters then their trainers.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    It’s cute the writer thinks anyone is going to fight Charlo(or Jacobs for that matter), naive, but cute. The fighters have been quite clear about this for years. If not the fighters then their trainers.
    Agree with all of the above. As far as I'm concerned, Canelo v GGG only fucks the whole division up. I would like to see them 2 NOT fight each other, but instead fight some of the other guys such as Charlo, Jacobs and Saunders.
    There's only one solution, a knockout tournament, but we all know that's not gonna happen. Politics wins again!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Agree with all of the above. As far as I'm concerned, Canelo v GGG only fucks the whole division up. I would like to see them 2 NOT fight each other, but instead fight some of the other guys such as Charlo, Jacobs and Saunders.
    There's only one solution, a knockout tournament, but we all know that's not gonna happen. Politics wins again!
    After Golovkin wins he has to fight these guys next. There is no hiding place but the list is long Saunders, Jacob's and Charlo.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin be ducking Charlo now, who'd have seen that coming.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Golovkin be ducking Charlo now, who'd have seen that coming.
    it's not about ducking Charlo. I doubt that very much . As a bloke , GGG would probably fight Joshua or Wilder if he was told to! Probably Canelo would be the same, it's more Oscar scared of losing his cash cow.
    It's about basically being able to fight who you want and don't want to according to value. I Know it's idealistic , but the authorities need to grow a pair and take back the running of the sport. While Canelo and GGG are wasting each other's time posturing and rematching, the rest of the division stagnates.
    To me , it's about knowing who best of the best is, but just as GGG and Canelo are fighting each other, the remaining contenders don't fight each other to get in line because of the "Risk/Reward".
    it'll never happen, but if they had no choice who they thought and had to earn their right to being called the best, we would all benefit. Like I said, idealistic and never gonna happen, but just my opinion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There never has been an authority that ran the business (well, apart from the golden age when the mob ran it) and never will be. The business would cease to exist if idealistic (sums it up nice) fans were let at it.

1. As you say, fans want to identify the best, however, FIGHTERS want to make money. Promoters and TV companies make that possible by buying and selling self-serving invented status from "governing bodies" (a piece of leather and metal) to the public.

2. Due to skin colour/nationality/prejudice/jealousy/envy/hate, the requirements, standards and treatment of certain fighters would be very unequal.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    There never has been an authority that ran the business (well, apart from the golden age when the mob ran it) and never will be. The business would cease to exist if idealistic (sums it up nice) fans were let at it.

1. As you say, fans want to identify the best, however, FIGHTERS want to make money. Promoters and TV companies make that possible by buying and selling self-serving invented status from "governing bodies" (a piece of leather and metal) to the public.

2. Due to skin colour/nationality/prejudice/jealousy/envy/hate, the requirements, standards and treatment of certain fighters would be very unequal.
    Yeah , you're right. all I would say is :
    ref. point no. 1 - the more fighters win , the higher their stock rises and the more they can earn.
    point no. 2 - probably right and a reflection of the World we live in.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With dishonest running through the sport, you have to get people on board to create a system that doesn't get trumped and is constantly monitored. Whether that's a point system that equates to simple mathematics to determine rankings or matches with finality (fight till you drop or tap) and randomized locations and publicized lottery of officials on who works these fights. too much of this sport is based on likes or dislikes...

Oh i don't feel like sticking to a weight class. I think i'll just skip around and look for pay days.
    The fights going to be held in vegas because thats where the money is.
    Oh i don't want to leave my home town to fight.
    I only want to fight once a year for big money.
    Our sanctioning body makes up rules on the fly to get the most popular fighters to fight, no matter the disparity in weight, the activity of each fighter, the number of times someones been brutally ko'd.

If you cut the money off, the sport will have to restructure itself or go under. If it goes under someone will come along and rebuild it. There's too much of a market for it. That means taking the money away from the cry baby fighters, shady promoters and conniving sanctioning bodies.

Fighters don't want to fight for less... adios... There are plenty of people out there fighting so their families can eat, and not just another sports car, mansion or whatever. So heres the price take the fight or be demoted in the ranks and start from the bottom again or quit the sport and good luck with your career in engineering, astrophysics or as a commodities broker because we know you wont settle for a mailmans, or day laborers salary.

Promoters promote fights cross brand or dismantle the whole system and every ones a free agent getting paid flat fees. Promotor promote fights from a talent pool. Loyalty, long term contracts are out the window. This way noone sits on a shelf 2 or 3 years waiting for their contract to end so they can fight for someone else.

Sanctioning bodies work on the point system like other sports. In a tier based system, the wins, losses, draws, no contests are worth so many points for each level of competition, once a fighter has earned enough points to ascend to the next tier, they will once you ascend to the championship level whoever has the most points determines who gets to choose who comes to the ring first or ring size etc. Getting popped for PED's will get you docked enough points to drop you 1 tier for one defense, 2 for 2, 3 for 3.. etc. So when you suspension is off and your cleared to fight.. you start over in that tier.

State athletic commissions must meet and vote on a pool of officials. 90% yes vote means your in the pool of officials licensed by all the participating states and will be chosen via lottery to work fights, big or small. Applicants will pay training, licensing fees for workshops that will instruct them in a uniform way of judging or reffing fights. At the end of the year, your questionable decisions or reffing will come under review and determine whether your are reappointed to the pool.

setting up standards and uniformity confirm everyone's worst fear. They are not special and their job is not guaranteed. To all those people that say " boxing isnt a sport because you dont play boxing" .. over half of the people that are the faces of the sport are playing boxing. This boxing is a business crap is tries to skip over the work and go right to payday. It has to be an occupation before it can be a business... In a business someone has to do the work.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Centeno Jr had a good comeback win over Aleem, after getting stopped in 10 by Sulecki. But Jarmall is on another level for me. Time filler, keep busy fight for Charlo.

In regards to the sport, with some of the money supposedly drying up (The Haymon rumors, HBO & Showtime limiting their budgets and schedules etc) in 2017 we already started to see many of the best fighting the best or taking on decent opposition. It's far from perfect and probably will never be, the WBSS also brought attention to the importance of the best fighting the best. If 2018 can continue to make good fights between top guys the sport will continue to climb it's way back.

The sanctioning bodies have these conventions but nothing important gets put in place or discuss, or takes a decade to start implementing. Some excellent points there @J_Undisputed
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information