Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Special note to Errol Spence!

Dear Sir,

I hope all is well with your training and title reign thus far. I write this note to you in hopes you read this with sincerity and you take into consideration some of these observations I have made on your career.

It has been observed, and duly noted, that you are having difficulties finding opponents at the top level who wish to fight you. Of course, this means that your paydays are smaller than it should be at this stage in your career as a Champion. This notwithstanding, I would ask that you consider one thing which may additionally assist you in your career and cause for being the #1 in the sport: I would take my career on the road to Britain, Asia, Russia, South-Africa in particular, and organise mega-cards in those jurisdictions.

I have noticed with keen interest you had very good accounts of yourself in the media leading up to your most recent fight with Lamont Peterson, most notably on ESPN's First Take just recently and prior to that, a showing on the Breakfast Club- New York's leading morning show- and you are willing to make yourself available to fans and prospective fans. This is admirable.

All of these observations and mitigating concerns are a prime reason, I feel, you should simply organise large fights with whomever in foreign jurisdictions. Clearly you are top talent and the money you make may be a great deal more in a foreign country fighting a guy more known over there, as opposed to waiting to fight a top guy in America who just won't fight and run the risk of losing as much as you would in a foreign land to a stiff you should be able to beat, but got away with a lucky night.

I respect your career, and I hope you take this note into consideration for your career and to get the best out of it.

Sincerely,

YKDaDamaja
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Special note to Errol Spence!

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Dear Sir,

I hope all is well with your training and title reign thus far. I write this note to you in hopes you read this with sincerity and you take into consideration some of these observations I have made on your career.

It has been observed, and duly noted, that you are having difficulties finding opponents at the top level who wish to fight you. Of course, this means that your paydays are smaller than it should be at this stage in your career as a Champion. This notwithstanding, I would ask that you consider one thing which may additionally assist you in your career and cause for being the #1 in the sport: I would take my career on the road to Britain, Asia, Russia, South-Africa in particular, and organise mega-cards in those jurisdictions.

I have noticed with keen interest you had very good accounts of yourself in the media leading up to your most recent fight with Lamont Peterson, most notably on ESPN's First Take just recently and prior to that, a showing on the Breakfast Club- New York's leading morning show- and you are willing to make yourself available to fans and prospective fans. This is admirable.

All of these observations and mitigating concerns are a prime reason, I feel, you should simply organise large fights with whomever in foreign jurisdictions. Clearly you are top talent and the money you make may be a great deal more in a foreign country fighting a guy more known over there, as opposed to waiting to fight a top guy in America who just won't fight and run the risk of losing as much as you would in a foreign land to a stiff you should be able to beat, but got away with a lucky night.

I respect your career, and I hope you take this note into consideration for your career and to get the best out of it.

Sincerely,

YKDaDamaja
    ps:- Please fight x4 times a year.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PPS They do not all have to be dangerous opponents either.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Should probably look up his purses, he is making enough that Arum said it was bad for boxing.

But I like the thought of a world tour. Problem is all the best WAs fight in america. He's going to travel to fight down? Makes no sense

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My only advice to him would be to keep being humble and beating people up. I'm really starting to see a fight with Thurman as a man vs boy face off. I mean he did travel across the pond to take his first title from a defending champ, that was impressive when so many 'yanks' stay in their backyards.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Should probably look up his purses, he is making enough that Arum said it was bad for boxing.

But I like the thought of a world tour. Problem is all the best WAs fight in america. He's going to travel to fight down? Makes no sense
    Spence can make fights for money with regular guys IF the top guys won't fight him. Why fight an American tomato can for pennies because the top guys, who are American, won't take a fight on your physical schedule? Over fighting a foreign tomato can for a few good dollars in his backyard, still win and still be on physical schedule for when one of the bigger-names decides they are gonna put on their big-boy trousers?

Spence can be the next Manny if he works it right. Crawford kinda messed that up for himself with his arrest and conviction. But Spence has a good attitude, seems like a mature and decent kid who just knows how to fuck people up. And fuck em up GOOD!

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    My only advice to him would be to keep being humble and beating people up. I'm really starting to see a fight with Thurman as a man vs boy face off. I mean he did travel across the pond to take his first title from a defending champ, that was impressive when so many 'yanks' stay in their backyards.
    His trot to take the title is what made me think of this. He can be the next big thing. Man, I wish I was working for a promotional company. My marketing brain would rake in oodles of money!

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spence can make fights for money with regular guys IF the top guys won't fight him. Why fight an American tomato can for pennies because the top guys, who are American, won't take a fight on your physical schedule? Over fighting a foreign tomato can for a few good dollars in his backyard, still win and still be on physical schedule for when one of the bigger-names decides they are gonna put on their big-boy trousers?

Spence can be the next Manny if he works it right. Crawford kinda messed that up for himself with his arrest and conviction. But Spence has a good attitude, seems like a mature and decent kid who just knows how to fuck people up. And fuck em up GOOD!
    You say pennies but other promoters literally complained about him making too much. Who would you have him fight to make more?

Horn in Australia could work but he has to get past Crawford.

Pac somewhere could work, but we know Arum only wants to feed Pac to Bid or Loma.

So who is he going to make more than 3 million against?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You say pennies but other promoters literally complained about him making too much. Who would you have him fight to make more?

Horn in Australia could work but he has to get past Crawford.

Pac somewhere could work, but we know Arum only wants to feed Pac to Bid or Loma.

So who is he going to make more than 3 million against?
    Yea I'd like to know who he has in mind to travel and fight against as well. Why not stay in the US and fight fringe contenders, guys like Peterson, make good money, pick up some experience while the other guys pretend you don't exist. Spence has a mandatory against Campo, Vargas is still around, Alexander, Ugas, Skeete would need to travel.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My thing is the only way he is gonna get paid is if he fights a top guy like Thurman. Not even Garcia or Porter. Only other guys are Pac and Crawford, fights which seem unlikely.

Mu suggestion IS if he has to fight a stiff for pennies, or under $1 mil or around that, then why not go away and fight another stiff- a home town favorite- and get a better reception to hungry fight fans in another jurisdiction?

A #15 ranked John Johnson from New York for $500k is not as much as a Sergei Labachinko in Russia for $3 mil. Get it?

We have this assumption that only the US and Germany can pay top dollar. Nah, man. South Africa, Philippines, Australia, the UK, France, Italy, Macao, Malaysia and Russia can all get you a relatively better payday than $1 mil for little to less risk than fighting someone who feels he is someone, or of the same caliber, in the USA.

Plus, it boosts his marketing around the world. Makes him more appealing to a world wide audience and hence get paid more in the long term, particularly with PPVs and people who may actually travel to see him; endorsements and things of that nature.

Smartest thing I liked about Roy Jones and to a GREAT extent, Floyd Mayweather, who did a Roy Jones Xs 100, was to get endorsements. RJJ with Nike and Floyd with Hublot and Gucci.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You also run the risk of being labelled a cherry picker. There are decent challenges outside Thurman, Crawford, Porter and Garcia to keep him busy, Campo, Alexander, Ugas or Skeete if necessary, fight and beat good comp until the others have nowhere else to turn and can avoid him no longer. I do think he needs to keep busy, can't argue with endorsements but don't think it's necessary for him to travel again yet.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd could not have any endorsements because he was always getting himself into trouble.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You also need the constant exposure to get the drive and fan following for the big bucks. Networks are not giving up prime dates to broadcast from Malaysia or Timbuktu so Spence can vaporize Kenny Gettup or Dusty Trunx and fans will call bs on it. He may make some coin but it lessens the bigger 'payoff' in long run. I think as simple as it sounds the best thing a guy in Spence shoes can do is keep playing the boogeyman and keep Thurman and company in check and on notice. It's a catch 22..you don't want a guy clamoring at every turn as it eventually makes you a follower and not the leader that majority of fans see him as already. Actually elevates in a way the opponent that is already clearly avoiding the other. Stay humble and keep hammering nails for all to see and calling on the very best competition. Spence doesn't strike me as the type to go gimmicky or public trolling where he makes t shirts or starts carrying around a cardboard cut out of 'Part-time' Thurman but that's another avenue.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Floyd could not have any endorsements because he was always getting himself into trouble.
    Are you STILL talking about Floyd?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Are you STILL talking about Floyd?
    He was mentioned in the post above mines and it was relevant

Thread Information