Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Calzaghe has never had a close fight!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joe Calzaghe has never had a close fight!

http://boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=005364

Look at this record! He has beaten many top quality fighters and never had a real close fight. He did have one SD, but it looks like one of the judges was blind! His last 16 opponents records were a combined 429-30-2 (a 93% winning percentage) and he KO's half of them.

Who's gonna beat him? Should he be on top of the p4p list?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joe Calzaghe has never had a close fight!

Joe is great, but he's almost been KOd before {can't remember the guys name}. He went down in the second, only to get back up and KO the other guy. But, he was hurt, and a better finisher would have KOd him. If he boxes smart, like he did against Lacy, it's hard to envision him getting beat. Especially at Super-middle. He's beaten alot of people, but alot of them weren't very good. IMO, he shouldn't be at the top of the p4p list. If he unifies the rest of the belts at 168, then he should be in the top ten for sure. Where exactly, depends on alot of fights.

IMO, Wright gets the nod at this moment. And, if Wright beats Taylor, then he should definately be at the top. {Not to take anything away from Joe. 41-0 is it? That's saying something}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Eubank fight was very close, and very tough.

The Reid, Thornberry and Starie performances were very poor by his standards but admittedly it was due to a hand injury, that injury to his left hand though eventually healed in time to stop Sheika, Woodhall and Veit where he finally found some form again.

The Brewer fight was tough. Mitchell dropped him for the first time in his life.

The Salem performance was very poor by his standards, but admittedly it was due to his head being all over the place because of the messy divorce he was going through at the time.

So Joe does have a few blips, but has always come through. He's a warrior, and at his best he's breathtaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WWatt

The Thornberry, Reid and Starie performances were very poor by his standards but admittedly it was due to a hand injury, that injury to his left hand though eventually healed in time to stop Sheika, Woodhall and Veit where he finally found some form again.
    You say these 4 fights were close and poor performances. I didn't see them, but from the looks of the scores he couldn't have done too bad. In 3 of these fights he took almost all the rounds from at least 2 of the judges. If you call that a poor performance than he must be pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera

The Thornberry, Reid and Starie performances were very poor by his standards but admittedly it was due to a hand injury, that injury to his left hand though eventually healed in time to stop Sheika, Woodhall and Veit where he finally found some form again.
    You say these 4 fights were close and poor performances. I didn't see them, but from the looks of the scores he couldn't have done too bad. In 3 of these fights he took almost all the rounds from at least 2 of the judges. If you call that a poor performance than he must be pretty damn good.
    Joe's only downfall is his pride. He's a boxer-puncher, with a sluggers mentality sometimes. When he fights like that, he leaves himself open badly. It was the Brewer fight{ I think}, that he fought like that and got dropped. When Joe remembers that he's a boxer, and not a slugger{against Lacy}, he's very hard to deal with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sure he should be at the top of the P4P list. I never been a Calzaghe fan (actually the opposite) but I am now. RJJ was considered P4P#1 and his resume is not much better than Joe's. JC isn't #1 at this point but if he beats Tarver then he should be eligable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thornberry, Reid and Starie were very poor performances by his high standards, he was booed out of the building. Those guys weren't supposed to last three or four rounds, but it was Joe's stubborness to want to continue to take fights while carrying a hand injury.

Eubank was a very close fight, no round was a blow-out even though Joe's sheer workrate and determination was winning the rounds. Take away the three knockdowns (one of which the first punch of the fight, the other two more like slips in later rounds) and the way the scoring was it would of made it pretty close, I in round 10 when Eubank's glove touched the canvas he was winning that round but judges gave it 10-8 to Calzaghe when it really should of been 10-9 for Eubank.

Joe took an absolute hammering from Eubank!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by baller
    Sure he should be at the top of the P4P list. I never been a Calzaghe fan (actually the opposite) but I am now. RJJ was considered P4P#1 and his resume is not much better than Joe's. JC isn't #1 at this point but if he beats Tarver then he should be eligable.
    I like Joe, but at the top? Everyone else hacks on Floyd saying he shouldn't be at the top, even though he's undefeated/with a good resume. Beating Lacy was great, but beating Mosely 2 times, then Solimann, then Tito in a row, gets my attention more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I say at the top I mean somewhere in the top 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look at this record! He has beaten many top quality fighters and never had a real close fight. He did have one SD, but it looks like one of the judges was blind! His last 16 opponents records were a combined 429-30-2 (a 93% winning percentage) and he KO's half of them.

two words, Robin Reid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by baller
    When I say at the top I mean somewhere in the top 5.
    Okay. Not doubting Joe's skills, but the general public would like to see him beat a couple of more "recognized" names before that happens. I think his record says alot, but everyone don't share the same thoughts. What hurts his p4p rankings, IMO, is that there haven't been any big stars at 168. And the comp. level isn't as good as other weight classes. If it was, he would be top five for sure, probably top 3, if he was undefeated or not. Close wins against guys who aren't considered that good, doesn't earn alot of points with people. I've been watching Joe for about 5-6 years now, and I'm impressed. Like I stated before, if he unifies all the belts at 168, I can't see how he couldn't be topfive.
    Quote Originally Posted by P.G.H Angel Eyes

two words, Robin Reid.
    See, thats what I mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he may of never had a close fight but when lacy realizes he has to box against calzaghe and not slug then we will see a close fight. their last fight was a BIG FLUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lacy wasn't equiped to box him. Lacy came forward like he normally does but Joe either caught him coming in or moved subtly, making Lacy miss and setting up all those counters. Maybe Lacy might have had the potential to beat Calzaghe but not in his current state of development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i also feel that joe was excessively holding. the ref never even warned him. and he had to have held him bout 12 times in each round. every match that goes the distant with lacy they all have to hold him to try to contain him and the refs are some bull and never penalize the other man and let it ride. lacy shoulda started complaing to the ref about round 2 or 3 about the holding

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 130lb champ
    i also feel that joe was excessively holding. the ref never even warned him. and he had to have held him bout 12 times in each round. every match that goes the distant with lacy they all have to hold him to try to contain him and the refs are some bull and never penalize the other man and let it ride. lacy shoulda started complaing to the ref about round 2 or 3 about the holding
    Like I stated before, that's one thing Lacy needs to work on. Most champs don't get held if they don;'t want to. And if they do, they push off, and it becomes clear that the other guy is excessively holding, and then the ref usually docks a point, or corrects the situation. It's just as much Lacy's fault for being held as it is Joe's.

Thread Information