Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default after calling out peter, briggs is now calling out wlad

www.eastsideboxing.com

03.04.06 - By Laz Izada: Power punching, heavyweight knockout artist Shannon Briggs 46-4-1 (40 KO’S) was the studio host with Brian Kenny, on ESPN 2 “Friday Night Fights”. At the start of the show Kenny asked him which heavyweight he wanted and Briggs didn’t hesitate to mention he wanted Wladimir Klitschko 45-3 (40 KO’S). Yes Wlad Klitschko, the Ukrainian “Steel Hammer” ranked # 1 by the IBF, WBO and # 2 by the WBA.. Klitschko has been one of the most feared men in the heavyweight division after his brother Vitali retired. Briggs, "Comeback Fighter of The Year 2005", with 10 straight impressive KO’S, hasn’t lost in four years, ranked # 8 by the WBC and WBO, doesn’t seem to be intimidated by the feared Ukrainian heavyweight. On the show he was himself, entertaining, articulate, well spoken, with great commentary, and a unique sense of humor. Displaying qualities hard to find in a boxer in today’s heavyweight picture.

A match up between these two power punching giants is just what the heavyweight division needs and fans are hoping for. Fans want to see two guys going all out looking for a knockout. Enough of the boring unspectacular heavyweight fights that fans have had to put up with lately. Kenny, the ESPN host, mentioned that Shannon “has the power and that is what makes him fearful in the division”. Klitschko is the same way. Briggs mentioned that he is “a puncher that is what people want, that is what the game is missing, and people want raw knockout power” and that is what he has.

This would be an ideal fight with a lot of similarities. They both have similar records and are tied with 40 knockouts each. Briggs is 34 and his average weight on his last five fights has been around 255 #’s. Klitschko 31 has weighed in on an average of 245 #’s in his last five bouts. Klitschko is 6 ‘ foot 6” with a reach of 81 inches.. Briggs is 6’ foot 4” with 80 inch reach. Both fighters have always come in looking for a knockout and putting on an exciting show.

Klitschko will be taking on Chris Byrd 39-2-1(20 KO”S) on April 22nd for Byrd’s IBF title. While Briggs will be looking to stay active and continue his ko streak defending his 3 U.S. heavyweight belts (USBA, WBO’s -NABO, NABA) on May 24th at Hammerstein Ballroom in New York city.

Klitschko hasn’t been the type that would shy away from Briggs like top 10 contenders and title holders have been doing as of late. So this match up seems feasible sometime later towards the end of the year. Fight fans haven’t seen two sluggers really going at it in a long time. A match up of this magnitude would not disappoint. Let’s hope it happens. LET’S GET IT ON.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: after calling out peter, briggs is now calling out wlad

i for one think that a briggs: wlad match up could be a decent matchup. both are big guys, big punchers. both have stamina issues and both like to knock a guy out whenever readily possible.....although wlad has been beating the higher calibre opponents by far (though he has lost a few on the way)....would be an interesting fight...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Briggs, and I think he can compete with any of today's heavies. One thing I know is that Briggs isn't scared, and will take chances if necessary. Go Briggs!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

agreed. though briggs has been fighting bums for a few years now, he does have the tools to shake up the division considering what we have....briggs for me is certainly superior to sam peter and could give wlad serious problems. briggs actually has some boxing skills...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Something tells me he would ko wlad, But I would like to see Wlad Ko him.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDukeof74
    The feeling is mutual. I'm not a Briggs fan, but I think he can compete with these guys. Put him in there! Let him KO, or be KOd!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDukeof74
    The feeling is mutual. I'm not a Briggs fan, but I think he can compete with these guys. Put him in there! Let him KO, or be KOd!
    Yep
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor
    I like Briggs, and I think he can compete with any of today's heavies. One thing I know is that Briggs isn't scared, and will take chances if necessary. Go Briggs!
    Yeah which is why he has not applied himself as of late. He offered to fight Johnathan Hagler one of my boys from the gym, John is good and undefeated but he's not the top tier level fighter a guy on his way to the top should fight.

Briggs would be destroyed by Wlad...I mean McCline beat the guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

wlad would knock him stiff most likely----i mean mecline beat him and he drew with frans botha--but he is an entertaining fighter and has a punchers chance

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

briggs has a fast jab, but NOWHERE near as fast as the jab of big vladdy

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

David Tua will be Heavyweight Champ in '06.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he would CRUSH toney

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Briggs is pretty good and seems to be rejuvinated a bit in his comeback, even though he's pretty much just steam rollingn bums he get's the job done and is definetly a threat.. I think he weighed something like 270 when he lost to McCline too, if he comes in shape he should definetly be able to give any of todays HWS a good fight.. Ive wondered why he hasnt been calling anyone out.. He's a big guy, big puncher with some skills and long reach, with puts him above pretty much any contenders out there in terms of actually having a shot to do something.. I remember he was actualyl pretty close to having Lewis out when they fought, if he had just followed up a right hand he landed he could have actually made something of his career.... Maybe. I like him though, every time I see an interview he's a pretty laid back funny guy.. This fight would be good. I lost some respect for Tua ducking out of that fight too, and Im guessing Sam Peter doesn't want anything to do with him either. Wlad would be a big task but hey, anyone CAN beat Wlad, it just depends on his performance more than anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Briggs has issues with the jab of Ray Mercer, Wladimer's jab is a killer. But would Wladimer be able to survive the first round onslaught from Shannon?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

briggs could very well put wlad into panic mode early on ....and then we have a fight...

Thread Information