Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Vasyl Lomachenko v Jorge Linares on May 12th NYC

There are also certain other factors that can come into play, sometimes a guy stays in the ams longer and age dictates that he needs to be moved faster as well.

If a guy has an extensive am background, he should be stepping up slightly each fight, not padding his record against his with losing records.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The thing is with Loma, he was given a title shot in his 2nd fight. Was he out classed ? No. With any of the opportunities he has had, has he been found out ? No.
    Then there’s the view that other fighters “deserved a shot” before him and had been waiting longer. Would any of them beat Loma? No.
    So there we have it.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, and who knows how many other fighters were good enough to win a title in their 2nd pro fight before Loma.
    Loma is not god. He's an excellent fighter who was given his chance immediately, while past fighters have always had to earn their shot.
    I like career build up.
    For those who don't.... goody.
    Last edited by TitoFan; 03-20-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    The thing is with Loma, he was given a title shot in his 2nd fight. Was he out classed ? No. With any of the opportunities he has had, has he been found out ? No.
    Then there’s the view that other fighters “deserved a shot” before him and had been waiting longer. Would any of them beat Loma? No.
    So there we have it.
    He did lose that fight, he wasn't outclassed but he learned a heap from that fight. A fight or 2 against a top contender and he wins that fight easy.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So there we have it.
    He did lose that fight, he wasn't outclassed but he learned a heap from that fight. A fight or 2 against a top contender and he wins that fight easy.
    Yes, he lost. His team over estimated, but he/they learnt and have gone on from strength to strength. I think in this day and age when we have everybody avoiding everybody else in order to maintain their legacy, this attitude should be applauded.
    if you're good enough to mix it, mix it. I'm a Mix over Marinate type of guy.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So there we have it.
    Yes, he lost. His team over estimated, but he/they learnt and have gone on from strength to strength. I think in this day and age when we have everybody avoiding everybody else in order to maintain their legacy, this attitude should be applauded.
    I agree which is why I enjoy so many of the lighter weight guys. But I don't really agree with jumping over the #1 guy or the mandatory just because your promoter can get you there. Fight and beat the #1 or mandatory in your 1st fight then by all means get a title shot in your 2nd fight. These days not many title shots a really earned anyway so I don't suppose it matters.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So there we have it.
    I agree which is why I enjoy so many of the lighter weight guys. But I don't really agree with jumping over the #1 guy or the mandatory just because your promoter can get you there. Fight and beat the #1 or mandatory in your 1st fight then by all means get a title shot in your 2nd fight. These days not many title shots a really earned anyway so I don't suppose it matters.
    I agree with every word of that . Politics wins every time unfortunately.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So there we have it.
    I agree with every word of that . Politics wins every time unfortunately.
    Lets also not forget its politics that dictates the flip side of that too. The number one contender won't fight a guy like loma a lot of times because he's risking a guaranteed biggest paid day (even if he doesn't think he can beat the champ) unless Loma's people are guaranteeing he will make more fighting Loma. Now if that no.1 contender is a star, then it all works out as planned. Big event, big ROI, lots of popularity. If the guys a hard working unknown, Loma's people will try to leap frog him (even if he's very beatable) and get him a title fight because the money they would have to pay that guy will never be made back in a win over him (less people pay to see the fight, less people become fans when he wins because they weren't watching). If the champ isn't very well known either, at least they write it off as an investment to boost press for Loma as having won a title in only his 2nd fight. It sucks but the money grubbers have taken the sport out of boxing and made it game of opportunists. I'd blame guys like Arum, King, Oscar, Haymon or RocNation but as long as there is money to be made, there will always be thieves and opportunists. It really becomes the sanctioning bodies that have to stick to their rules and enforce honor and get rid of exploitable loopholes.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly, you could also add in that the top contenders may not want to risk losing to an guy making his debut.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it's a great idea for Linares to be changing trainers going into this fight.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don’t think it’s a great idea for Linares to be going into this fight period. I know he’s extremely good and his losses were years back now. It struck struck me the things he always struggled with were gauging distance and transition from offence to defence. Most of the times he’s gotten clipped, never mind stopped, seemed to be pulling straight back from the waist, or after throwing one too many punches coming forward. Loma strikes me as a “make up a fighter to make that a disaster”. He style is basically perpetual motion and there is no transition.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Guess Mikey picked his lane today and it's 140. If Loma shines against Linares it'll be blinding and a great match missed. Starting to wonder about Mikey.

Linares will be forced to play aggressor and sacrifice timing and those sharp range punches.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it's a great idea for Linares to be changing trainers going into this fight.
    There is a man named Jorge Capetillo that has done the bulk of the day to day gym work with Linares; Salas is the fight night trainer. I suspect that Linares is going to continue working with Capetillo in Las Vegas as he has been doing, and that Capetillo will work his corner for the fight

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    There is a man named Jorge Capetillo that has done the bulk of the day to day gym work with Linares; Salas is the fight night trainer. I suspect that Linares is going to continue working with Capetillo in Las Vegas as he has been doing, and that Capetillo will work his corner for the fight
    Still not an ideal time to change trainers. They have been on a good run together.

I think Linares is a little past his prime and even at his best it may have not ever of been enough to deal with Loma.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Guess Mikey picked his lane today and it's 140. If Loma shines against Linares it'll be blinding and a great match missed. Starting to wonder about Mikey.

Linares will be forced to play aggressor and sacrifice timing and those sharp range punches.
    Ya, a little surprised at the decision but I honestly don’t mind if he sticks with 140. I still don’t think it’s out of the question for a mega fight at 135 with Loma, but as of right now he is picking 140. Good timing too because Crawford cleaned it out and now a whole new crop of 140lbers are there for the picking so he doesn’t have to just fight Crawford leftovers.

He is supposed to fight Baranchyk next who looked pretty good when he beat Petrov.

Thread Information