Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default US Supreme Court to hear internet tax arguments

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...ine-tax-amazon

Interesting stuff. The Supreme Court had always fascinated me. As the law stands now we are not charged taxes on online purchases unless the retailer has a physical presence in the state we live in. This could change and have us pay tax on all purchases. Scalia, before he died wrote an opinion that not taxing internet goods will harm brick and mortar while taxing goods that have a physical presence in a state will encourage people to avoid purchasing goods in there home states. There is big money riding on this decision. Billions for the states if they get it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: US Supreme Court to hear internet tax arguments

Seems like it's inevitable for States and big company to want a chunk of revenue. When I hear brick and mortar I think mom and pop but many of these companies already feel a tax hit. Crazy to think they are kicking around a 1992 ruling concerning the online world of 2018 point and click purchase. This day and age unless your State is the size of a random dozen City blocks nothing beats the ease of ordering in your underwear . Single physical presence means nothing State wide. I mean ffs Walmart has pick up centers now...that you order online and surely pay a bit extra. Times change, doesn't mean a consumer should be repeatedly pinched for it via more taxes.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: US Supreme Court to hear internet tax arguments

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Seems like it's inevitable for States and big company to want a chunk of revenue. When I hear brick and mortar I think mom and pop but many of these companies already feel a tax hit. Crazy to think they are kicking around a 1992 ruling concerning the online world of 2018 point and click purchase. This day and age unless your State is the size of a random dozen City blocks nothing beats the ease of ordering in your underwear . Single physical presence means nothing State wide. I mean ffs Walmart has pick up centers now...that you order online and surely pay a bit extra. Times change, doesn't mean a consumer should be repeatedly pinched for it via more taxes.
    I hear you, the original no tax thing came about due to a early 1900's ruling preventing states from interfering with trade amongst other states. At that time around one percent of sales were internet based now it's over 8 percent which is around 130 billion dollars
    Last edited by walrus; 03-16-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Thread Information