Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gennady Golovkin accuses Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya of being longtime cheats

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gennady Golovkin accuses Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya of being longtime cheats

Strong stuff from GGG, sounds like he might want out of this fight after all, the remark about Canelo have injection marks on his abdomen is shocking if true!!

As Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and his promoters explained it earlier this month, his positive test for a banned substance was the result of consuming some bad Mexican meat, an unfortunate accident that “had never happened” to him before. To Gennady Golovkin, though, it was part of a pattern of cheating by Alvarez, one that should come as no surprise, given that the Mexican fighter is being promoted by the “dirty” Oscar De La Hoya.

Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs) offered stinging criticism of Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) and De la Hoya Tuesday at his training camp in Southern California, where he is preparing to take on Alvarez on May 5, in a rematch of their highly anticipated September showdown that ended in a controversial draw. The May fight, set to take place at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, could be derailed by a ruling against Alvarez from the Nevada State Athletic Commission, but for the time being, both middleweights are proceeding with the expectation that they will square off.
    “Again with Mexican meat? Come on,” Golovkin said (via the AP). “I told you, it’s not Mexican meat. This is Canelo. This is his team. This is his promotion. …
    “Canelo is cheating. They’re using these drugs, and everybody is just trying to pretend it’s not happening.”
    In samples taken in February, Alvarez tested positive for Clenbuterol, a stimulant banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency. It helps burn fat and increase lean muscle mass, and is used by some cattle ranchers in Mexico, a fact brought up over the years by some athletes who have failed tests for performance-enhancing drugs. In 2016, the NFL sent a letter to its playerswarning them not to eat “large quantities of meat” while visiting Mexico, lest they be discovered to have Clenbuterol in their systems.
    “I am an athlete who respects the sport and this surprises me and bothers me because it had never happened to me,” Alvarez said after his positive test. “I will submit to all the tests that require me to clarify this embarrassing situation and I trust that at the end the truth will prevail.”
    An official with De La Hoya’s company, Golden Boy Promotions, told ESPNthat Alvarez has subsequently been tested three times in March and come up clean on each occasion. “He doesn’t sound like a confident fighter,” the official, Eric Gomez, said of Golovkin. “It sounds like he wants to try to find a way out of the fight. If that’s what he wants, he should just say so.”
    Golovkin referred to photos and videos he said he and his promoter, Tom Loeffler, were sent from the weigh-in for the September fight. The two have claimed they show Alvarez consuming a mysterious pill after the weigh-in, and appearing to have injection marks on his abdomen.
    “It was pretty obvious when [Alvarez’s] muscles were all [enlarged] … and with the traces of injections, which were visible,” Golovkin said Tuesday. “Before the first fight, I knew he was not clean.
    “I can talk about Oscar De La Hoya, too. He is also not clean. He’s dirty.”
    De La Hoya is a former top-tier boxer in his own right, one who in the past called for boxing to enact Olympic-style drug testing. Well before he retired from the ring in 2009, he formed Golden Boy, which now promotes dozens of boxers, including six world champions apart from Alvarez.
    Gomez took issue with Golovkin’s accusations, saying, “The remarks about the needle marks, the remarks about Oscar, the defamatory things he said, we’ll deal with them appropriately.” He added, “As for Canelo, he is focused on his training. He didn’t need any more motivation, but now he has it.”
    “This guy, he knows,” Golovkin said of Alvarez’s claims of taking the substance by accident. “This is not his first day in boxing. He proves he gets benefits from everyone and he can get away with it. Check him on a lie detector, and then we can find out everything.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/03/21/gennady-golovkin-accuses-canelo-alvarez-and-oscar-de-la-hoya-of-being-longtime-cheaters/?utm_term=.ba871b1b3685
    Last edited by smashup; 03-22-2018 at 01:16 AM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin accuses Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya of being longtime ch

I like that GGG is giving honest, truthful and hurtful answers to Canelo and GBP. He could have played the diplomatic line and said it was all good and keep smiling. Instead he says what he beleives and even more fans will want him to beat the pampered Mexican fighter.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin accuses Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya of being longtime ch

Damn talk about preflight hype. Unfortunatley it's too serious, I wouldn't blame big drama show from backing out.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Me too, Walrus. GGG already beat Canelo and he is not helping the sport if he goes ahead and fights Canelo. Leave Canelo's reputation in shatters and go on and fight Saunders instead. It's easy for me to say, but sometimes making a stand is more important than taking the money. You fight a cheat and just maybe the cheat holds the aces on you like Margarito against Cotto. Cotto was obviously the much better boxer, but a cheat stacks the deck in his favor. Could just be pre-fight hype but it would be great to see GGG pull out.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree i think Golovkin should refuse to fight him and make a real stand here, regardless of whether Canelo knowingly cheated or not he still had it in his system while in training so clearly has an unfair advantage anyway.

It's a shame this has all happened because i was really looking forward to this rematch which i think would have been better than the first fight.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Me too, Walrus. GGG already beat Canelo and he is not helping the sport if he goes ahead and fights Canelo. Leave Canelo's reputation in shatters and go on and fight Saunders instead. It's easy for me to say, but sometimes making a stand is more important than taking the money. You fight a cheat and just maybe the cheat holds the aces on you like Margarito against Cotto. Cotto was obviously the much better boxer, but a cheat stacks the deck in his favor. Could just be pre-fight hype but it would be great to see GGG pull out.

Precisely. Unfortunately, past histories cannot be ignored or swept under the rug. Let's go back to when Canelo was avoiding GGG with the supposed "marinating" BS, or when supposedly he was trying to drag GGG down to 154 because he (Canelo) wasn't (cough)... big enough. Then somehow he mysteriously shows up and fights Chavez Jr., another weight-manipulating cheat, at 170. Only when he tests those waters does he agree with what the rest of the civilized world already knew a long time ago, that he can very well fight GGG at 160. Some fans like to pretend this type of shit doesn't happen, especially if their favorite fighter is involved..... but it does. So in MY opinion, if you are a habitual weight-manipulating cheat, who as Miles said..... "stacks the deck in his favor".... then any other type of cheating cannot be beyond your reach. These type of fighters will seek every single advantage over the sun to make sure the outcome is predetermined. Corrupt judges (CJ Ross, anyone?), weight advantages, plaster in the gloves, even PED's if they can get away with it, or use some BS excuse like consuming tainted meat. It's tendencies, and they should not be ignored.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The rematch must have a knockout.

I wanted Canelo to win the first time but I can't stand drug cheats..GGG must use every inch of his 35 years to annihilate Canelo and send him back to 154..or retirement.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    The rematch must have a knockout.

I wanted Canelo to win the first time but I can't stand drug cheats..GGG must use every inch of his 35 years to annihilate Canelo and send him back to 154..or retirement.
    This is truning out like Usain Bolt v Justin Gatlin,

(knight in shining armour, hero and saviour of boxing v pampered diva and drug cheat)

This makes the fight even bigger than the first!

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    I agree i think Golovkin should refuse to fight him and make a real stand here, regardless of whether Canelo knowingly cheated or not he still had it in his system while in training so clearly has an unfair advantage anyway.

It's a shame this has all happened because i was really looking forward to this rematch which i think would have been better than the first fight.
    I agree that the potential for it to be better than the first is certainly there. If anything this should motivate him mor,e and while i would totally respect him blowing ginger nuts out, it would kind of be like shooting himself in the foot money wise. It's corrupt and I am not sure the history books would remember it as a stand against cheats, it would probably go down as a duck, which it would not be. Hate being cynical but money talks.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

El Kabong Guest

GGG is saying these things to hit Canelo in the pride which he's counting on Canelo having so he'll stand and fight like a "true Mexican" (a la Erik Morales, MAB, JMM, JCC, Salvador Sanchez, etc) because in the last fight Canelo fought in a very negative manner. If Canelo stands and fights, tries to trade then odds are GGG the naturally bigger guy is going to get the better of him.

It's just that simple

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love it. This is what all fighters should do when their opponents cheat. Call them out!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I love it. This is what all fighters should do when their opponents cheat. Call them out!
    Yes, GGG should have called him a pussy years ago.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree with him on Canelo but closest thing I see 'dirty' on Oscar are the mismatch cards on Fox. Well and of course fishnets .

I like Golovkin speaking up and getting po'd. Team Canelo definitely tried to sweep it under the rug and hoped it would go away. We knew prior to the first fight the deck was stacked but don't think Golovkin should back out now as he's let some time slip. Just go in and kick his arse proper this time. Meaning don't wait for the judges. To me a lot of Golovkins 'problem' is that he's always trying to play Mr nice guy and polished professional and accepts the ho hum opponent role as result. If you think you won and fans think you won..declare it.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fight will go ahead and it'll be similar to the last one. If Alvarez can lose by a couple of rounds less than he lost the first one the judges can give him the decision and unfortunately that's what probably will happen.

Yes he was cheating. Of course he was fucking cheating. And I'd love to see Golovkin knock his head off but unfortunately it'll be another twelve rounds of yelling at the telly and wanting to smash it when they announce the decision. Hope I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    The fight will go ahead and it'll be similar to the last one. If Alvarez can lose by a couple of rounds less than he lost the first one the judges can give him the decision and unfortunately that's what probably will happen.

Yes he was cheating. Of course he was fucking cheating. And I'd love to see Golovkin knock his head off but unfortunately it'll be another twelve rounds of yelling at the telly and wanting to smash it when they announce the decision. Hope I'm wrong.

Damn your logic!!

I only hate it 'cause it's probably true.

Thread Information