Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dillian Whyte v Deontay Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Pacquiao brought fortunes to the table against Floyd, hence Floyd made even more than normal, he didn't take a paycut or give Pacquiao a chunk of his own money. Pacquiao brought HBO PPV to join Floyd's Showtime, brought fans from all over the world hence inflated, extortionate ticket prices, not just for the fight but all manner of events surrounding the event.

A fighters value is based purely on what he sells, not whether or not the fans think he "deserves" more/the same as his opponent.

@primo has asked a better question than me - where is Wilder's offer to AJ? Why haven't they offered AJ $30 million to fight in Alabama? How about $50 million for Las Vegas? I'm sure AJ will gladly let Wilder have American TV whilst he keeps UK PPV, he can guarantee thousands of Brits flying to anywhere in the States, will thousands of Americans travel to London in support of Wilder?

All Wilder has done is demand, demand, demand what Joshua must GIVE, offered nothing. He's not even Joshua's biggest monetary option (or arguably toughest competition) that is Tyson Fury by a long stretch. Should David Haye impress against Bellew he would become Joshua's most lucrative option. Povetkin has the backing of Russian oligarchs who have stumped up fortunes in the past to fund "world" championship events.

How can you people seriously not understand the difference between a fighter making $2 million and $22 million (a conservative figure in AJ's case)?
    So you must love the whole Canelo and GGG saga. One fighter who is clearly worse than the other makes basically whatever demands he wants because he is the draw. Sure, I get that it’s a business, but I also see that Canelo was dodging GGG for years.

I’m not claiming that Wilder is better than AJ, but AJ being able to draw more revenue is a convenient way to duck a fighter. It’s easy for him to say that he can go elsewhere and make 90% of the cut against a bum because UK fans will buy a garbage fight. I get it. Basically AJ just says unless I have to make X amount of money or I won’t fight you because it’s a big risk fight so I will make a lower risk fight where I’ll make a bit more money.

It isn’t Wilders fault that he can’t draw in the US. He is a KO machine and has done what he has needed to to reach the top. I think that Wilder deserves a 50% cut because they are both the top guys in the division but I’m not the one negotiating. If this were let’s say Garcia vs Loma at lightweight, if one of the fighters just said that they want a 70% cut of the purse or no fight then we would all see it as a blatant duck.

So my point is that being a bigger draw is a convenient way to duck another fighter. I’ve heard Wilder over and over call for the fight. I haven’t heard AJ call for it.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Pacquiao brought fortunes to the table against Floyd, hence Floyd made even more than normal, he didn't take a paycut or give Pacquiao a chunk of his own money. Pacquiao brought HBO PPV to join Floyd's Showtime, brought fans from all over the world hence inflated, extortionate ticket prices, not just for the fight but all manner of events surrounding the event.

A fighters value is based purely on what he sells, not whether or not the fans think he "deserves" more/the same as his opponent.

@primo has asked a better question than me - where is Wilder's offer to AJ? Why haven't they offered AJ $30 million to fight in Alabama? How about $50 million for Las Vegas? I'm sure AJ will gladly let Wilder have American TV whilst he keeps UK PPV, he can guarantee thousands of Brits flying to anywhere in the States, will thousands of Americans travel to London in support of Wilder?

All Wilder has done is demand, demand, demand what Joshua must GIVE, offered nothing. He's not even Joshua's biggest monetary option (or arguably toughest competition) that is Tyson Fury by a long stretch. Should David Haye impress against Bellew he would become Joshua's most lucrative option. Povetkin has the backing of Russian oligarchs who have stumped up fortunes in the past to fund "world" championship events.

How can you people seriously not understand the difference between a fighter making $2 million and $22 million (a conservative figure in AJ's case)?
    So you must love the whole Canelo and GGG saga. One fighter who is clearly worse than the other makes basically whatever demands he wants because he is the draw. Sure, I get that it’s a business, but I also see that Canelo was dodging GGG for years.

I’m not claiming that Wilder is better than AJ, but AJ being able to draw more revenue is a convenient way to duck a fighter. It’s easy for him to say that he can go elsewhere and make 90% of the cut against a bum because UK fans will buy a garbage fight. I get it. Basically AJ just says unless I have to make X amount of money or I won’t fight you because it’s a big risk fight so I will make a lower risk fight where I’ll make a bit more money.

It isn’t Wilders fault that he can’t draw in the US. He is a KO machine and has done what he has needed to to reach the top. I think that Wilder deserves a 50% cut because they are both the top guys in the division but I’m not the one negotiating. If this were let’s say Garcia vs Loma at lightweight, if one of the fighters just said that they want a 70% cut of the purse or no fight then we would all see it as a blatant duck.

So my point is that being a bigger draw is a convenient way to duck another fighter. I’ve heard Wilder over and over call for the fight. I haven’t heard AJ call for it.
    So, AJ is ducking Wilder. hmmm, let me see............ Wilder is ducking Whyte because "I've heard Whyte over and over call for the fight, I haven't heard Wilder call for it, even though it would at least double his best ever purse."
    And AJ is going to duck a guy that is ducking somebody AJ KO'd?
    I don't believe any of these fighters are ducking anyone, and I certainly don't think any of them are scared of each other. It's just about finance and to a major degree pride and bravado.
    AJ won't give Wilder a 50% split because AJ is the generator of the money and so in his mind why should he do all the work for Wilder to cream off his back??
    Wilder won't fight Whyte because he feels Whyte is below him and not worthy of the fight. In his mind he shouldn't have to "earn" a fight with AJ by beating Whyte.
    Hearn wants to make Whyte/Wilder AND AJ/Wilder , and no doubt whoever wins that , he would probably pay a kings ransom to promote to fight Fury!!! because all he fucking cares about are the £££££'s.
    simples!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

So, AJ is ducking Wilder. hmmm, let me see............ Wilder is ducking Whyte because "I've heard Whyte over and over call for the fight, I haven't heard Wilder call for it, even though it would at least double his best ever purse."
    I don't believe any of these fighters are ducking anyone, and I certainly don't think any of them are scared of each other. It's just about finance and to a major degree pride and bravado.
    AJ won't give Wilder a 50% split because AJ is the generator of the money and so in his mind why should he do all the work for Wilder to cream off his back??
    Wilder won't fight Whyte because he feels Whyte is below him and not worthy of the fight. In his mind he shouldn't have to "earn" a fight with AJ by beating Whyte.
    Hearn wants to make Whyte/Wilder AND AJ/Wilder , and no doubt whoever wins that , he would probably pay a kings ransom to promote to fight Fury!!! because all he fucking cares about are the £££££'s.
    simples!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

simples!
    Wilder or AJ haven’t earned the right to fight each other. They are just the two perceived best in the division. They should be expected to fight each other. To say that Wilder has to fight someone else to earn a fight with AJ is laughable.

I’ve said it multiple times that I don’t mind if Wilder fights Whyte. It’s probably his next best option after AJ. The problem is that why would Wilder want to settle for fighting Whyte if he could fight AJ? If AJ is completely off the table then I would call it a duck if Wilder refuses to fight Whyte. I have no problem with that.

My main point is that AJ hasn’t really done significantly much more than Wilder to be the A side other than having UK fans behind him. As I’ve stated before, it’s like claiming that Canelo should be able to dictate everything because he is the draw and not because he is better. In a business sense I understand but it’s an easy thing to hide behind

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Money makes the world go round, simple as that.

Mentioned
    947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

simples!
    Wilder or AJ haven’t earned the right to fight each other. They are just the two perceived best in the division. They should be expected to fight each other. To say that Wilder has to fight someone else to earn a fight with AJ is laughable.

I’ve said it multiple times that I don’t mind if Wilder fights Whyte. It’s probably his next best option after AJ. The problem is that why would Wilder want to settle for fighting Whyte if he could fight AJ? If AJ is completely off the table then I would call it a duck if Wilder refuses to fight Whyte. I have no problem with that.

My main point is that AJ hasn’t really done significantly much more than Wilder to be the A side other than having UK fans behind him. As I’ve stated before, it’s like claiming that Canelo should be able to dictate everything because he is the draw and not because he is better. In a business sense I understand but it’s an easy thing to hide behind
    Is beating the most dominant heavyweight champion of the previous 10 years is no better than beating Ortiz for you? You can say that Fury had already beaten Wlad, but Fury, astonishing as it may seem, outboxed and outpsyched Wlad. Joshua outfought him.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don’t think that beating Wlad was that much more significant that he becomes the obvious A side fighter. Already got easily beaten by Fury and hadn’t fought in over a year. It was still a good win but I also never held Wlad in that high esteem.

If you think that version of Wlad was that good then we just have to agree to disagree.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow, the prospect of a fight between Joshua and Wilder sure has taken an interesting turn in this thread and in the forum in general.

From the get go, I've always rated Joshua's win over Wlad higher than any win Wilder has on his record. Wlad came to fight, as opposed to his usual timid self... and the fight itself was a pleasing classic. But c'mon.... to hear some of you guys talk, anyone would surmise Wilder is not a champion, but some other chump (like Fury and Haye) begging and needing a fight with Joshua. They each have alphabet titles... they're each undefeated... they're each popular. Joshua more so in the UK.... Wilder more in the U.S. That people in the U.S haven't warmed up to Wilder like those in the UK have for Joshua, is kind of a cultural thing right now. U.S. people ("American" technically includes the whole hemisphere) right now are a bit jaded on boxing. Their last major star in the sport was Mayweather, not a universally-liked guy to say the least. Ward was much of a non-entity, due to his maddening inactivity, before he up and beat Kovalev twice....... then retired. U.S.'ers haven't had a heavyweight boxing champion in eons. Beside, Wilder IS a bit rough around the edges.... far from being a polished fighter. But damn.... Some of you are talking like Wilder should be happy to lap up AJ's scraps. Really? What is the reason for all this? Aside from Wlad, is Joshua's record (quality of opponents) really that much better than Wilder's? I get it... this is a British forum. But Wilder's all of a sudden getting a raw deal here. Before long, some of you will have Wilder having to PAY Joshua to fight him. Nahhh.... it doesn't work that way. It's good to be excited about having a local heavyweight champion. But there's another heavyweight champion across the pond and..... what a huge downer it would be if Wilder up and KO'ed Joshua, huh?

I still like them both, but kudos to Wilder for wanting to get a fair share of the proceeds if and when these two should meet.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Demanding what you're not worth is considered a convenient "duck" too. This situation is precisely like your example of Loma-Garcia, Wilder is knowingly demanding an unrealistic cut, you think 50-50 is fair but Wilder knows it's not even serious, it's just publicity for fans and media. Loma-Garcia will split their pie judged on who brings the most monetary value to the table, simple as that. It could be 50-50 or 70-30 either way, regardless.

A-side/B-side is soley about money not ability/rankings.

Personally I couldn't care less what anyone makes or "deserves," be great if money didn't rule the sport, but it's the reality of the situation
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Wilder and Whyte will be working ringside for the Joshua v Parker fight so are bound to cross paths and have some verbals which should be explosive, Whyte remains the number 1 mandatory for Wilders WBA belt.

There's no chance Wilder v Joshua happens in the summer as Wilder has only just become {just) a PPV fighter in the USA.

I think Whyte v Wilder should happen next and Eddie Hearn has already offered Wilder a career high payday of around $4 Million and says he will up that offer today to get this fight over the line.

I'm hoping the WBA force this on Wilder anyway and it's a fight i'd love to see.

Who you picking if they meet?
    I like Wilder but even more I like that the heavyweight division is getting notice in America. It will be interesting to see how Dante fairs had his opponents improve. Why do people still say they want to see how his chin holds, he has been checked, granted he gets wobbled but he stays in. He's certainly not the greatest heavyweight but he had talent. I'll take him over Whyte, but no money on it. Damn the heavyweight is waking up in America. I appreciate Klit and what he did but he didn't bring much interest here, he did have one of the best jabs I've seen

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Wilder and Whyte will be working ringside for the Joshua v Parker fight so are bound to cross paths and have some verbals which should be explosive, Whyte remains the number 1 mandatory for Wilders WBA belt.

There's no chance Wilder v Joshua happens in the summer as Wilder has only just become {just) a PPV fighter in the USA.

I think Whyte v Wilder should happen next and Eddie Hearn has already offered Wilder a career high payday of around $4 Million and says he will up that offer today to get this fight over the line.

I'm hoping the WBA force this on Wilder anyway and it's a fight i'd love to see.

I like Wilder but even more I like that the heavyweight division is getting notice in America. It will be interesting to see how Dante fairs had his opponents improve. Why do people still say they want to see how his chin holds, he has been checked, granted he gets wobbled but he stays in. He's certainly not the greatest heavyweight but he had talent. I'll take him over Whyte, but no money on it. Damn the heavyweight is waking up in America. I appreciate Klit and what he did but he didn't bring much interest here, he did have one of the best jabs I've seen

I want to see Wilder beat Whyte just to see what split Joshua demands from the unification fight. 50/50 would be fair, in my book. You really want to fight... you fight. If Joshua throws a 70/30 bone at Wilder, he's ducking him.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

I want to see Wilder beat Whyte just to see what split Joshua demands from the unification fight. 50/50 would be fair, in my book. You really want to fight... you fight. If Joshua throws a 70/30 bone at Wilder, he's ducking him.

You put Wilder and Joshua in Vegas.... people will come in droves.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Demanding what you're not worth is considered a convenient "duck" too. This situation is precisely like your example of Loma-Garcia, Wilder is knowingly demanding an unrealistic cut, you think 50-50 is fair but Wilder knows it's not even serious, it's just publicity for fans and media. Loma-Garcia will split their pie judged on who brings the most monetary value to the table, simple as that. It could be 50-50 or 70-30 either way, regardless.

A-side/B-side is soley about money not ability/rankings.

Personally I couldn't care less what anyone makes or "deserves," be great if money didn't rule the sport, but it's the reality of the situation
    I understand that money is the reality of the sport unfortunately. The question comes if Wilder fights and beats Whyte and beats someone else and beats someone else and every single person in the way and AJ is still the bigger draw because of the popularity of boxing in the UK compared to the states. AJ could then always use the money excuse as a valid excuse. Wilder could be known as the obvious best fighter in the division but Wilder is in the wrong if he wants 50/50 split.

I get that money runs the sport but I just can’t give free passes for the obvious best match up in a weight class because one fighter is from a country where boxing is popular and the other isn’t.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Billy Joe Saunders was matched with Canelo yet demanded 50% and the fight must happen in the UK everyone would rightly accuse of him of "ducking" for being unrealistic. Saunders is a popular UK fighter but not as popular as Canelo Stateside, so would obviously be the B-side.

Or imagine two Americans were matched like Deontay with Big Baby Miller, he'd be the A-side, get the lions share and call the shots. The only relevance of AJ being British is the fight simply makes more sense here from a money perspective.

Wilder is the A-side against Whyte even if the fight takes place in London, that's why he was offered $4 million, Whyte will get less than half that not more. However, the fight generates more money in London.

Again, Wilder has already turned down two offers to face Joshua and never once publicly made him one, he's quite simply demanded what Joshua must give whilst pretending he's being ducked. Joshua says in the interview above they will make Deontay yet another offer and has already agreed that in the event of a rematch he will gladly take Wilders stipulations.

My only point is about the "ducking" bit - I have no doubt whatsoever they will agree terms eventually, I don't think Wilder is "ducking" him, he's quite simply going to wrangle every penny possible before risking his 0, that's why he wants to swerve Whyte.
    Last edited by Fenster; 03-28-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bring more to the table stop yelling like a loon and be thankful for the huge meal before you. Wilder needs that on a t shirt. Fact is that AJ has flattened a *cough great champion, already flattened a guy in official eliminator fight next out, flattened Wilders now mandatory challenger, and has stage to unify straps in his next fight...in his backyard. Wilder is Wilder and as far as U.S options that match up with Joshua back home it's slim pickings. Anyone pacing the floor for a Wilder v Jennings showdown, maybe Breazeale-Pulev winner in some bingo hall back in Alabama. He needs to take momentum off of battle and good win with flapjacks Ortiz and sit in that front row seat next week. Call AJ a wanker to his face or something.

Thread Information