Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Wilder Excuses Begin

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Can anyone here remember any time in boxing history a promoter asks to see the money secured before even beginning negotiations?

Ask yourself does he think Al doesn't have the money? Or is this more likely an absurd distraction?

no

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Thoughts on Wilder v Joshua!

Dubai

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With so many eliminators I can see where AJ may have to decide how much he really wants to hold onto all those trinkets. I just cannot see all four bodies loving the idea of unification.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly at least two out of the four bodies will resist

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What bothers me is that Wilder has twice as many fight as Joshua. so I'm wondering If Joshua is ready for a fight like this? Or is he being rushed too soon? Or does his team really believe he can win. The fight should happen this year in the UK. The money might not be there next year. So ready or not let's fight.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great points but I think he's fight with Vladimir Klitschko counts for at least five fight in terms of stress level and coping and exposure and having to rise past his fears and rise to the occasion

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Great points but I think he's fight with Vladimir Klitschko counts for at least five fight in terms of stress level and coping and exposure and having to rise past his fears and rise to the occasion
    On the flip side Wilder can beat 5 shot Owen Becks to equal one. The Wlad fight was a double edge sword. He looked brutal thrashing one of the best of a generation but his last two fights have been held to that a bit. He was also dropped and hurt badly and gassed and that was used in comparison when Wilder was in the same shape.

AJ grew more in the Wlad fight than he could ever could beating any 5 TBA cans. Great learning experience for any fighter to have to return from the brink of disaster. It's what they do with it after that matters.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't see the great significance of the Wlad win. He was 40 and had been out for 18 months having been completely outboxed by Fury. Fury's win was more significant. If Wlad had been active and on a winning streak or something then fair enough, but that he was in off a bad loss and that he couldn't continue after the Joshua loss kind of sums up where Wlad was really. He was at the end and it was a last roll of the dice.

I agree with all the points except the date of the fight. There is no reason it shouldn't happen this year. Fight in your prime and see who can handle it. None of this procrastinating year after year just to offer something less than thrilling. Get on with it, nobody is going hungry, just do your job.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I really don't see the great significance of the Wlad win. He was 40 and had been out for 18 months having been completely outboxed by Fury. Fury's win was more significant. If Wlad had been active and on a winning streak or something then fair enough, but that he was in off a bad loss and that he couldn't continue after the Joshua loss kind of sums up where Wlad was really. He was at the end and it was a last roll of the dice.

I agree with all the points except the date of the fight. There is no reason it shouldn't happen this year. Fight in your prime and see who can handle it. None of this procrastinating year after year just to offer something less than thrilling. Get on with it, nobody is going hungry, just do your job.

I disagree Miles. Fury got in Wlad's head something awful, to the tune of 4 punches per round (Wlad's pathetic output). The most nauseating fight I've seen bar none. Wlad-Haye looked like Ali-Frazier III in comparison. For AJ, whether due to shame from his previous showing or whatever, Wlad actually came to fight. Huge difference. Fury's downright lucky he got Bambi Wlad instead of Rambo Wlad.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a funny one isn't it? Wlad definitely turned up for Joshua, but he just seemed so fragile and brittle to me. He gave it a good shot, but wilted all too easily. We have seen in the last few fights that Joshua is hardly Mike Tyson, so I think it just highlights how fragile Wlad is and has always been. He did very well in a weak division where most of the men were smaller and he could use his reach and clinch. He didn't really have that chin touched all that much in a lot of those fights. Fair play to him on having the career he did and using his strengths and masking the weaknesses, that is an intelligence and craft at work, but that chin and vulnerability were always there whence the stoppages he had. It makes sense that he would end by being stopped. I always considered Vitali the more meaningful fighter of the two. He didn't really have any of those weaknesses.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh absolutely. I've always been very outspoken in my criticism of Wlad, and yet I have to give him credit for like you said, masking his weaknesses well enough to rule over the division as long as he did. Of course, there were some MADDENING fights along the way, such as the Povetkin one. Had I been in Alexander's shoes I would've gotten disqualified because I would've kicked Wlad in the balls for his antics (which of course Wlad should've gotten points deducted or a DQ himself). But rule the division he did, to the detriment of heavyweight boxing fans everywhere. He learned from those early KO losses.... but man, did some of his later fights stink up the joint.

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Finkel and Hayman called yesterday's planned meeting with Hearn off. Very strange actions for somebody so desperate to do a deal. The 24hr deadline too with no contract prepared? it all sound like a PR move to ensure Breazeale goes ahaed and Wilder can pretend that it is Joshua ducking him.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/anth...lder-is-legit/
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Can anyone here remember any time in boxing history a promoter asks to see the money secured before even beginning negotiations?

Ask yourself does he think Al doesn't have the money? Or is this more likely an absurd distraction?
    You want to try unraveling that? It is quite likely an absurd distraction by Wilder. It would follow form. This is a guy who has taken the most meandering path he could to avoid meeting any real challenges. You are turning this on it's head in order to preserve the notion that Joshua and Hearn who have invited Wilder's team to meet face to face, to negotiate etc are the ones avoiding Wilder.

Can you remember a time in boxing history when serious offers and negotiations were carried out by suggesting 24hr deadlines without any mention of details? 24hr deadlines when planned meetings with the camp you want to fight were cancelled? Does that sound like the actions of someone eager to get a fight made?

DO you really think Hearn is going to blow a chance to make money and history for himself as a promoter by dodging a unification bout of this magnitude.

We will know in a few hours but it sure sounds like Wilder doesn't want it.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why does it have to be agreed within 24 hours? Is the money running away?

Strange.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information