Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Taylor-Wright: NYC Presser!

Taylor-Wright: NYC Presser!

April 5, 2006

By Matt Richardson
    Photos: David Greene

http://www.fightnews.com/richardson201.htm

Boxing is a sport where the best and frequently most logical things don't always occur like they should. There are bad decisions, worse rankings and frequent mismatches. The fights that are supposed to be made frequently aren't. And when they are, they occur often too late in the fighter's careers or they're tainted by a loss in a previous tune-up fight. So imagine boxing fans' (and members of the industry's) delight when all of the aforementioned does not take place. Imagine when the right fight takes place at the right time with the right fighters for the right price. Sound too good to be true? Well it's not because on June 17th at the Fed Ex Forum in Memphis, Tennessee that's exactly what will occur. Undisputed middleweight champion Jermain Taylor will make his second title defense against number-one contender and former junior middleweight champion Ronald "Winky" Wright in one of those fights where everything seems to have fallen in place.

"It speaks for itself," Lou DiBella, Taylor's long-time promoter said Tuesday morning at a press conference in New York City to announce the fight. "I think Jermain deserves a lot of credit going from Bernard Hopkins to Bernard Hopkins to Winky Wright because it doesn't get more difficult than that. I think this is one of the biggest middleweight fights in years and years and years. "

"This is not only a great fight, it's a great event," said DiBella's counterpart in the promotion and Wright promoter Gary Shaw. "On June 17th there's only going to be Jermain, Winky and the referee. And the only ones that will matter will be Jermain and Winky."

"It's these kinds of fights that keep our passion going," said Senior Vice President of HBO Sports Kery Davis of the fight which will air at 9:30 PM ET on regular HBO.

"He comes to fight and that's exactly what I need - a fight," Taylor, 25-0, 17 KO's said when he took the podium. "We are two men that love the sport of boxing and we are going to fight. I respect him inside the ring and out but inside the ring I'm a dog! I just feel like I'm bigger; I'm stronger than any guy he has fought."

"I have nothing bad to say about this man," said Wright, 50-3, 25 KO's. "Whatever he says about me or I say about him it doesn't matter because we are going to fight on June 17. You have the undisputed middleweight champion and the undisputed junior middleweight champion bumping heads. It's going to be a great fight so don't miss it!"

"Whatever he do, I'm going to counter. Whatever I do, he's going to counter," Wright told the assembled media at the conclusion of the presser. Asked how it felt to be in the spotlight after years of clamoring for the big fights, Wright smiled. "It feels great," he explained. "I should have been getting the big fights when I was his (Taylor's) age. But God works in mysterious ways and now I know how it is to be at the top and to be at the bottom."

Though Wright seems relaxed with his position in the sport, the 27-year old Taylor admits to feeling the pressure of becoming a new star in a sport that is sorely lacking fresh blood. "I feel a lot of pressure," he admitted. "I'm the man who beat Hopkins twice. I came on the scene too fast; I came out of nowhere."

"He went to school against Bernard Hopkins and he graduated. Now he's going for his P.HD," Pat Burns, Taylor's trainer explained about his pupil.

Taylor knows the value of this fight for his career and for the sport overall. He says whenever he talks to people about boxing they always ask him if he's going to bite their ear in an obvious reference to the infamous Mike Tyson - Evander Holyfield rematch in 1997. That view of the sport is negative though and hinders the sport's perception in the mainstream. And this is something Taylor aims to fix. "That's what people think about boxing and that's why I want to change that."

Fighting the right fighter at the right time though, is a very good first step in that direction.

JABZ

Taylor said he believed there was an immediate rematch clause should he lose his titles...He also confessed that he doesn't watch many sports though he believes Floyd Mayweather is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. "Under him, I feel like I should be next," said the champion...Wright also warned the media not to be surprised if he could hurt or even knock out Taylor. Despite his lack of power, the slick defensive fighter explained that "it ain't that Winky Wright don't punch, I don't go for the knockout."...Asked if he felt his fight with Wright ("Winky" has as many knockouts as Taylor does fights) would be comparable to his Olympic teammate Jeff Lacy's exposure against the more experienced Joe Calzaghe, Taylor said he didn't think so. "You never go to a man's house, stay over here," Taylor said in reference to Lacy crossing the ocean to fight Calzaghe in his backyard of Manchester, England. Tickets priced from $1,250 to $75 are available thru Ticketmaster

[attachment deleted by admin]
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Taylor-Wright: NYC Presser!

The resemblance between these two is uncanny! Check it:

[attachment deleted by admin]
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hahaha, at the resemblance.

"You never go to a man's house, stay over here," Jermain

Any house, Jeff would have been pummelled. That remark is just stupid. Wonder if his but, Jeff offered that explaination. Or did Jermain make up that dumb remark.

"Under him [Floyd Mayweather], I feel like I should be next," Jermain

No you shouldn't, and Floyd doesn't belong there in the first place.

"He went to school against Bernard Hopkins and he graduated. Now he's going for his P.HD," Pat Burns, Taylor's

By cheating on his exams!!! Shame on you Jermain.

"it ain't that Winky Wright don't punch, I don't go for the knockout." Winky

Quit lying Ronald Winster!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but = bud. (typo)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Winky also looks fat. Just had to add that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did Curtis Stevens stop that chin-checker trash talk after Codrington got knocked out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm hyped about this fight. But does Jermain always have to say, "I'm bigger I'm stronger." ?

We are lucky this fight is happening so fast. I think HBO feels the pressure, more than usual, to make big fights.

Winky should win, but can he get past that Piston like Jab? And Jermain does have a point, Winky has never met someone with his overall power and strength. (Tito's comes from leverage.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Winky comes to fight.

El Kabong Guest

Winky's getting up there in age...I know it's hard to look good vs Soliman but apparently loads of pressure pisses him off.

We're in for another chess match but it should be better than Hopkins-Taylor.

Jermain has a good arsenal and better defense than Trinidad. He moves well and I think if he makes Winky come to him he might be better off. Taylor is still going to win!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Since when has Manchester, England been Calzaghe's backyard?? LOL!

American's are crazy, plain and simple.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Any fight outside of the states is 'their backyard' no matter were the other guy is actually from :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that Wright's going to have a fight on his hands...but I still see him pulling this one out.

Thread Information