Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Groves rumored to be replaced by Eubank Jr. in WBSS finals

Hope this is just a rumour

There are rumors that George Groves will be replaced by Chris Eubank Jr. for the finals of the World Boxing Super Series super middleweight tournament against Callum Smith. This rumor hasn’t been confirmed yet, but it’s possible that Wednesday’s announcement for the WBSS could include the replacement of WBA Super World 168 lb. champion Groves (28-3, 20 KOs) with Eubank Jr. (26-2, 20 KOs) for the WBSS finals match against the unbeaten Callum Smith (24-0, 17 KOs).

Groves, 30, suffered a dislocated left shoulder in his 12 round unanimous decision victory over Eubank Jr. three months ago in their semifinals match in the World Boxing Super Series on February 17 in Manchester, England.
    The injury occurred at the start of the 12th, and rather than stopping the fight on the spot, Groves continued to fight for the full three minutes of the round. In hindsight, that was probably wasn’t the smartest move, because he could have done a lot of damage to the shoulder.
    In videos since then of Groves working out, his left shoulder has not looked strong. Groves has always been known for having a good left jab, but it doesn’t look like his left is fully back.
    Replacing Groves with Eubank Jr. will invite a lot of fan criticism. Eubank Jr. was trounced by Groves. For Eubank Jr. to be given a second chance doesn’t seem right in the view of a lot of fans. Super middleweight contender Jose Uzcategui (27-2, 23 KOs) is reportedly interested in stepping in to replace Groves if he needs to be replaced.

It would be far preferable to have the 27-year-old Uzcategui take the place of Groves for the fight against Callum Smith than it would be for the recently beaten Eubank Jr. to be given a second chance.
    There’s nothing wrong with giving fighters more chances, but in this case it’s too soon and it makes a mockery of the tournament. The WBSS tournament already took a big hit when Juergen Braehmer dropped out of his semifinals match against Smith and was replaced by little known former kick boxer Nieky Holzken last February. Uzcategui would be a real problem for Callum Smith. With the movement, size and power of Uzcategui, he might be a step too far for Smith.
    If Eubank Jr. replaces Groves, then he’ll have a chance of picking up his old IBO super middleweight title. The IBO 168 lb. title will reportedly be on the line after Groves is said to have chosen not to pay the sanctioning fee to keep.
    Eubank Jr. can be reunited with his beloved IBO strap if he beats Smith. Eubank Jr. looked horrible though in losing to Groves last February. If Smith is even at 75% of his normal game, he’s going to beat Eubank Jr. with ease. Groves beat with just his jab for the most part.
    It’s too bad the WBSS can’t delay the tournament until 2019 or 2020 for Groves to finally heal up enough to fight.

Groves would be really pushing it if he got back into the ring so soon after dislocating his left shoulder. It’s not worth it for Groves to rush back just so he can fight Smith. Groves has all the time in the world to fight Smith in the future when he’s 100 percent healthy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Groves rumored to be replaced by Eubank Jr. in WBSS finals

I hope this is a rumour too.

Eubank Jr doesn't belong in any world boxing final.

He doesn't have the basics & he doesn't listen to his trainers at all.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They should delay the fight and allow Groves a chance to recover.

Although Eubank v Smith is a good fight in its own right.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Groves doesn't fight in the final then the whole tournament just becomes a joke, i think the problem is the dates for the venue of the final, i read a while back that they only have a certain window of a few weeks to put on the final at the venue and if Groves is not fit enough in that time frame he'd miss out.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read the other day that Groves was back in training and comfortably throwing punches again, has he had a setback?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I read the other day that Groves was back in training and comfortably throwing punches again, has he had a setback?

I read the total opposite to that that Groves was looking anything but fighting fit with the arm in recent training sessions

Hope this can be arranged around Groves so he can fight in the final but Londons O2 Arena is a massively popular venue and is booked non stop with music concerts, comedy shows etc so there will definitely only be 1 or 2 dates they can do it there.

If i was the organisers i'd look at a smaller football ground in London, there must be loads to choose from as the season will be finished in a few weeks time right the way through till August.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Groves team seem pretty confident and there's a little video clip of him punching with both hands in this link, this could just be Eubank Jnr taking shit/starting rumours to get his name back out there, he's hardly said a word since Groves beat him and if he is gonna continue as a fighter surely he needs to fight again soon.

Only other thing that might have started these rumours is that Groves has very recently injured the shoulder again in training?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/box...me-injury.html

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

EXCLUSIVE Chris Eubank Jr ‘absolutely’ in running to replace George Groves, says Kalle Sauerland

KALLE SAUERLAND today told Boxing News that Chris Eubank Jr is in the running to replace George Groves in the super-middleweight World Boxing Super Series final against Callum Smith, but no final decision had been made. What is certain, though, is that Sauerland won’t wait indefinitely for Groves to recover from his shoulder injury.

Groves defeated Eubank Jr in March yet dislocated his shoulder in the final round of their semi-final. Groves – who has been promoted by Sauerland Events for several years – has since been racing to get fit. June 2 was the proposed date for the final, but that has since been postponed as the promoters give Groves time to return to fighting shape.
    “We’re working on solutions where Groves is fit, and where Groves is not fit,” Kalle told Boxing News. “We’re not going to postpone finals months because it goes against the whole principal of it. I’ve been there and done it, with the Super Six, so people can tell me what they like about finals.
    “The tournament is bigger than any fighter, and that’s just the way it is. We’re hopeful [Groves will be fit], so we’ll see.
    “What I don’t understand is people presuming we’re ‘booting Groves out’ of the tournament. We go back a long way and we’ll do what we can for him. At the end of the day, if you’ve put a sh*t load of money into a concept like this, you can’t turn around and say we’ll wait forever. You can’t start the tournament and then have the final lingering into the next tournament. I’m sorry, that’s not going to happen. We have to make this a success through independent decision making.”
    Eubank, then, is very much in the running to take George Groves’ place?
    “Absolutely, yes. A lucky loser. It’s a common sporting term. Would I want to watch Callum Smith-Eubank Jr outside of the tournament? Absolutely. It’s a great fight.
    “We can push a month, but we can’t push it back by three or four months. We have a substitute system. We said that from day one, and that’s the situation. We’re still hoping it’s George Groves, of course we are.

“I always said the tournament doesn’t stop for anyone and we’ve almost gone against that already. We had a June 2 date and venue booked for the final, and we’re already going later than that. As a promoter you have to rule out August, so the final will happen in July. But at the moment, it’s not clear.”
    Sauerland added that a fighter who had not been involved from the start would not be brought into the final, but admitted that Eubank Jnr is the first choice to replace Groves should the WBA champion not declare himself fit within the next 10 days.
    “I think he would [be the first choice]. You’d have that UK feel which I like, and the super-middleweights have always been driven by the UK. We want Groves in the final, but if that’s not possible, we have to find a solution.”

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don’t even want to contemplate all this bullshit.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be a very anticlimactic final if this happened. Like has already been stated, not that it’s a terrible fight if Eubanks steps in but it isn’t the actual final.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fucks sake, we get rid of one absolutely cunt in Haye and then Jr gets given a platform again, and all this with Khans recent comeback as well.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If anything they should give the other semi finalist Braehmer who had to pull out through injury the first offer as technically he remains undefeated in the WBSS.
    Thing is Eubank Jnr is the much bigger name. $£$£$£

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can’t be silent on this anymore. They’ve even put this on the Boxing Scene website. What a fucking joke!
    And as for all this “it’s a decent match up” bollocks, why?
    Eubank Jr. Was CRUELLY EXPOSED as a fucking novice against Groves. It was also evident that he’s not a big SMW, Callum Smith is. And I know Smith hasn’t uprooted any trees in this tournament, but he’s done a whole lot more than Eubank Jr.
    If they need a replacement for Groves , they should be looking at:
    Braehmer - didn’t lose
    DeGale, Ramírez, Benavidez - all have proper belts to give the final kudos.
    Uzcategui , Zeuge - both have better belts than Eubanks’s IBO sham.
    All of these DESERVE to earn $4 million more than Eubank does.
    If fucking LOSERS are gonna get rewarded just because they talk big, then I won’t be long for this sport!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've got a lot of time for Saurland, having been to his shows in Germany, he is a quality promoter, compared to ours. I think he may have bitten off a bit more than he can chew with this 'knockout' format WBSS. As adventurous as it is it is capable of being bedevilled by injuries, thus disrupting the promotional schedule , and leaving the promoter open to criticism, or even accusations of favouritism over his choice of subs. If he has no subs it buggers his WBSS system if there are injuries and the whole WBSS thing takes 3 bloody years and everybodys lost interest. Overall I think it was a good effort to rejuvenate boxing interest, but in danger of going tits up now. All credit to Kalle for trying something new, but bad luck with the injuries. Oh, I forgot to mention that if EU Jr was re-instated I would throw a shit fit.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sauerland is the front man for the tournament it's not his dough or sole promotion.

As a standalone fight Eubank-Smith is excellent. Smith hasn't proved himself at top level, hasn't fought anyone close to a Groves or Saunders, in fact he's never faced anyone that can be regarded top 10-15-20 in the independent supermiddle rankings. Jr is a big step up for him. Great matchup.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information