Thread: World Cup 2018 countdown!!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: World Cup 2018 countdown!!!!

Excellent post Memphis.

France have talented players in a great team that is what is needed to win the tournament. They may dominate like Spain did for the next few years.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They could well dominate was thinking that.

Oh for another gazza - one with his head screwed on
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/pl...?player_id=393

This guy right here is everything that has been wrong with English football and coaching at junior level over the years. I don't mean any disrespect to the bloke, he played pro football, better than I did and fair play to him for that. He was 5,10 11 stone at 14/15 years old. Literally running through or over players and banging in the goals, there was no way to stop it. Then, they get picked up by a professional club and nothing really changes for them, their game doesn't change. In fact, in his case at least it gets worse because this kid who has spent his life galloping through on goal with no one able to catch him, has suddenly got a whole lot more room to run into on a pro pitch. You wonder where the person was that takes this kind of kid aside and says look son, you need to have a bit more about you than just strength and speed. Once he'd lost the edge physically, he became basically redundant.

The challenge for these young players is to get game time, proper game time not farting about with a few league cup appearances. Players like Phil Foden who everyone raves about have got to be able to progress over the next year or two and be looking to light up the Euro's or next World cup.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    The heavens have opened and rain coming down just needed the Croatian leader to have see through top in that rain.

You can always be counted on, Master.

I'd have no problem having you as a sports commentator, adding that extra bit of flair alongside the actual sports. Of course, you'd last exactly one game, 'cause unfortunately they'd yank you after that.

I watched the game much later due to a family beach event, but I managed to avoid any talk of the game until I got home and played the recording. Was devastated at that first France goal on the (cough) penalty. Definite dive that one. Seems Croatia totally earned their first goal, while France was gifted it. Croatia winning would've been the better story, but yeah.... they can be totally proud of themselves and celebrate their run through the World Cup. France, being the 2nd youngest team in the Cup, must be feared for years to come. Glad their goalkeeper suffered that momentary brain lapse if only to give Croatia one more goal. 4-2 looks infinitely better than 4-1 on the final box-score.

Russia can also pat itself on the back for holding such a wonderful and successful World Cup. It had all the excitement and fabulous football anyone could ever ask for.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brazil had the strongest team and lost to Belgium who tactically outplayed them in the first half with world class players like Hazzard and De Bruyne as well as Lukaku. They then had a little bit of luck in the second half to come out winners.

France beat Belgium by a set peice and organised defence which negated Belgium's star players.

France win cup with a lucky penalty decision. That would have seriously hurt me if England had been on the receiving end of that decision.

Great world cup experience with excellent goals.

Did you know the next world cup in Quatar is going to be played in the winter break? Silly decision.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, we can all thank Sepp "Corleone" Blatter for that one.

Who knows how many luxury penthouses the guy now owns between Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Well, we can all thank Sepp "Corleone" Blatter for that one.

Who knows how many luxury penthouses the guy now owns between Qatar and Saudi Arabia.
    Fucker should be in prison.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On balance, obviously France had the best tournament and were probably worthy winners .... but I don't think there was a standout team that was head and shoulders above everyone else and who will be remembered for generations to come (think the 1958 and 1970 Brazilians, 1986 Argentinians, 2010 Spanish etc)
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    On balance, obviously France had the best tournament and were probably worthy winners .... but I don't think there was a standout team that was head and shoulders above everyone else and who will be remembered for generations to come (think the 1958 and 1970 Brazilians, 1986 Argentinians, 2010 Spanish etc)
    France may create that legacy, remember they were losing finalist 2016 and won this world cup. They could be on your list in a couple of more tournament wins.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​True, even the French media thought they were too young and inexperienced this time and that they would be peaking for the next World Cup. If they start to do well over a period of time, I absolutely agree with you that they will be a great team.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brazil
    France
    Germany
    Spain
    Argentina
    Belgium
    England
    Italy
    Netherlands
    Portugal
    Croatia
    Uruguay

The 12 early favorites to win in 2022..... Vegas odds.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Won't happen but would love to see some kind of boycott of Qatar 2022.absolute joke. November 21st start and finishes December 18. How many countries are happy with that? One?

God knows how domestic leagues will deal with it. Players would be out there at least a week before if not longer.

Like the way they realised about three months after Qatar won the bid that it would be too hot to play it in summer and someone could potentially die.

Oh and by 2023 Qatar will have hosted as many world Cups as us the country where the game was born....
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Thread Information