Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mikey Garcia is a boss

It appears a matchup with Spence is really on the table and not just talk. If this guy can win a belt at 140, unify at 135 and challenge Spence for his title at 147 in one year he gets my vote for fighter of the year win or lose.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mikey Garcia is a boss

Garcia would be a great if he did all that.

I would be happy with with him doing one of those things.
    Last edited by Master; 06-24-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A boss, should be dropped as a gratuitory term. No way this fight happens though, gross physical mismatch. Garcia is far better than Lipinets, but the size difference told massively in that fight. Spence is a really big welter with crazy physicality.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    It appears a matchup with Spence is really on the table and not just talk. If this guy can win a belt at 140, unify at 135 and challenge Spence for his title at 147 in one year he gets my vote for fighter of the year win or lose.
    I agree, but in a way I hope it doesn’t happen. Reason being that if (when) he loses, casual fans will downgrade him not realising the enormity of the challenge.
    If he did fight him and won.........Wow!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As high of regard as I hold Mikey, he would just be overmatched. Spence is just too big. Honestly, 140 is wide open and once Mikey unifies at lightweight, there will be some interesting matchups at for him at 140.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A massive Bridge too far for me. Honestly for as top notch as Garcia is he or those advising him come off very scattered. Just a couple of weeks ago they were all about 135 and the talks of Loma had fans drooling. Just pick a path son and deal with what's in front of you first and foremost . He was pushing it physically at even 140 and getting clipped with more shots than needed. I don't think it's a smart move to ping pong around divisions especially when it comes to a one man wrecking crew like Spence jr just hitting his stride and who knocks jr middles or higher around in sparring. Bad night all over for Garcia.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree it looks scattered, and a Loma fight would be the dream fight. But Arum has been quite clear he isn’t going to make that fight.

And I agree it’s a bridge too far. But that’s exactly why Mikey wants it, because everyone says he shouldn’t.

Just in this era where everyone looks for the path of least resistance I respect a guy who could camp out at 135 and dominate making good money saying “you say I can’t beat this guy, then I want him”.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree it looks scattered, and a Loma fight would be the dream fight. But Arum has been quite clear he isn’t going to make that fight.

And I agree it’s a bridge too far. But that’s exactly why Mikey wants it, because everyone says he shouldn’t.

Just in this era where everyone looks for the path of least resistance I respect a guy who could camp out at 135 and dominate making good money saying “you say I can’t beat this guy, then I want him”.
    Some are saying the exact same of Loma right now who just barged in and crashed on Mikeys couch. Like to see him try to clean his own house out.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Some are saying the exact same of Loma right now who just barged in and crashed on Mikeys couch. Like to see him try to clean his own house out.
    I don’t really understand. We know Loma is out with an injury. We know after that he has unification in mind because TR will always do in house first. Mikey can unify and fight Spence before Loma has done these things.

Then a Mikey/Loma fight lines up perfectly if TR is willing to do it. We know for a fact they are not willing to do it now because they said so. Do you suggest Mikey goes back on the shelf waiting on TR?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

I don’t really understand. We know Loma is out with an injury. We know after that he has unification in mind because TR will always do in house first. Mikey can unify and fight Spence before Loma has done these things.

Then a Mikey/Loma fight lines up perfectly if TR is willing to do it. We know for a fact they are not willing to do it now because they said so. Do you suggest Mikey goes back on the shelf waiting on TR?
    All with unifying and Loma will probably got Beltran route. Honestly don't think he makes it back to a huge Loma-Arum event after Spence jr in what I personally think is sure defeat and pretty costly on his body. In time it takes Mikey to unify, and he'll be moving away from a now recovered Loma, Spence jr will have 147 sorting out all around him.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd love to see the fight happen, Mikey would gets huge props. Don't see it happening tho. More of a publicity thing I think.

Could Mikey fight Linares before a Loma clash?

I don't think Garcia should venture much higher than 140.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Loma is doing rehab then a December fight(Beltran) I thought.

Garcia is looking at Easter then a December fight vs Spence.

Seems like it lines up well. Depending on how long Garcia holds up vs Spence. If he could survive 12 rounds without getting battered he walks away a bigger star even with an L.

For Spence I’d rather see a good WW, I’m only considering Mikey’s side. I’d rather not see guys jump 2 classes and get beat on size. Just, I don’t think Mikey has the same financial motivation others have had as Mikey already gets paid well. If he did it it would be because he believes he can win. Whether right or far more likely very wrong.

But fighting for 4 belts in 3 weight classes in one year would be a feat is all I’m really getting at.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That would definitely be some feat.

And imagine if he won.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He could be the modern day Henry Armstrong

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It ain't going to happen but will make up for the lost time.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information