Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Degale v Eubank Jnr

Billy Joe Saunders believes old friend James DeGale will beat old enemy Chris Eubank Jr

Saunders outpointed Eubank himself in 2014

Billy Joe Saunders has unsurprisingly picked his old amateur teammate James DeGale to beat his old rival Chris Eubank Jr.

The British super-middleweights will finally meet at the O2 Arena on February 23 – live on talkSPORT – after years of bitter trash talk.

Saunders has plenty of experience in the company of both men, having been in Team GB with James DeGale at the 2008 Olympics and having fought Chris Eubank Jr as professionals in 2014.

When asked who he thought would win the fight, Saunders told Behind The Gloves: “People are saying, ‘DeGale’s finished, he’s over the hill.’

“You can’t lose that technical ability. Everybody gets old.

“Let’s say he’s lost five per cent of his movement. Five per cent of pure boxing is purely good enough to beat Eubank. That’s all.”

Saunders and Chris Eubank Jr have had their own raging conflict for several years after Saunders beat Eubank Jr in a 2014 defence of his British, European and Commonwealth titles.

Since then, Saunders has always spoken disparagingly of Eubank Jr and continued to do so in his prediction.

“He’s just not good enough,” Saunders continued, “End of story.

“I can see nothing but a DeGale points win.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...ris-eubank-jr/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Billy Joe Saunders believes old friend James DeGale will beat old enemy Chris Eubank Jr

Saunders outpointed Eubank himself in 2014

Billy Joe Saunders has unsurprisingly picked his old amateur teammate James DeGale to beat his old rival Chris Eubank Jr.

The British super-middleweights will finally meet at the O2 Arena on February 23 – live on talkSPORT – after years of bitter trash talk.

Saunders has plenty of experience in the company of both men, having been in Team GB with James DeGale at the 2008 Olympics and having fought Chris Eubank Jr as professionals in 2014.

When asked who he thought would win the fight, Saunders told Behind The Gloves: “People are saying, ‘DeGale’s finished, he’s over the hill.’

“You can’t lose that technical ability. Everybody gets old.

“Let’s say he’s lost five per cent of his movement. Five per cent of pure boxing is purely good enough to beat Eubank. That’s all.”

Saunders and Chris Eubank Jr have had their own raging conflict for several years after Saunders beat Eubank Jr in a 2014 defence of his British, European and Commonwealth titles.

Since then, Saunders has always spoken disparagingly of Eubank Jr and continued to do so in his prediction.

“He’s just not good enough,” Saunders continued, “End of story.

“I can see nothing but a DeGale points win.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...ris-eubank-jr/
    Probably right, but my mates and I have all backed Eubank with our local pub expert, because De Gay will be tired and Eubank will finally realise that he has to hit people to win fights, probably in the 2nd half.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Been following the ITV footage of the build up, they both have some snazzy houses, Jr drives his billion pound McLaren around Brighton to fetch milk and bread and Paulie has been staying with DeGale's parents (another snazzy gaff) as he's working with him.

The real question though is who is the best looking? Both think the other is delusional?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Been following the ITV footage of the build up, they both have some snazzy houses, Jr drives his billion pound McLaren around Brighton to fetch milk and bread and Paulie has been staying with DeGale's parents (another snazzy gaff) as he's working with him.

The real question though is who is the best looking? Both think the other is delusional?

Between a Horse and a Gnu ?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it is not a good sign when a fighter in talking openly about retirement before a big fight.

James DeGale: British boxer to consider retirement after fight with Chris Eubank Jr

James DeGale will consider retirement after his fight with fellow Briton Chris Eubank Jr in London later this month.

The 33-year-old vacated the IBF super-middleweight title in July having won a rematch against Caleb Truax.

He will face Eubank Jr in a super-middleweight fight at the O2 Arena on 23 February.

"I'm going to get this good win. After this good win I'll maybe knock it on the head. I don't know," he said.

DeGale lost the IBF title to Truax in December 2017 but reclaimed the belt against the American in April 2018.

He said the decision to vacate was to free him up to pursue "massive fights" rather than face mandatory defences ordered by the IBF.

"I could go on to have another three or four fights; I'm not too sure," he added.

"I'm in a good position where I'm happy and content in what I've done with my career. I've left my mark. I'm sitting nice.

"The hunger and desire hasn't been stronger. I've been training for this fight for a long, long time. Mentally, I'm ready; physically, I'm ready, I'm healthy. There's a lot of questions hanging over this fight as well, but the main one is how much have I got left? Am I declining, am I shot? We'll see."

DeGale's fights against American Truax followed a draw with Badou Jack. He stopped Colombian Fidel Monterrosa Munoz in his last fight in September.

Former WBA super-middleweight champion George Groves, touted as a potential future opponent for DeGale, retired in January.

"I didn't feel anything. I didn't even think about it," said DeGale of Groves' decision.

"I'm concentrating on my fight and what I want to do. I don't care about George Groves' career; he's retired. He thought it was the right time to get out of it and he's knocked it on the head."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/47233259

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lee Selby on the undercard but why is he jumping up two divisions? He better bring some punch with Omar Douglas. He'll outclass him but Douglas is a very physical rough fighter and I'd put money on Selby getting butted and opened up again.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    it is not a good sign when a fighter in talking openly about retirement before a big fight.

James DeGale: British boxer to consider retirement after fight with Chris Eubank Jr

James DeGale will consider retirement after his fight with fellow Briton Chris Eubank Jr in London later this month.

The 33-year-old vacated the IBF super-middleweight title in July having won a rematch against Caleb Truax.

He will face Eubank Jr in a super-middleweight fight at the O2 Arena on 23 February.

"I'm going to get this good win. After this good win I'll maybe knock it on the head. I don't know," he said.

DeGale lost the IBF title to Truax in December 2017 but reclaimed the belt against the American in April 2018.

He said the decision to vacate was to free him up to pursue "massive fights" rather than face mandatory defences ordered by the IBF.

"I could go on to have another three or four fights; I'm not too sure," he added.

"I'm in a good position where I'm happy and content in what I've done with my career. I've left my mark. I'm sitting nice.

"The hunger and desire hasn't been stronger. I've been training for this fight for a long, long time. Mentally, I'm ready; physically, I'm ready, I'm healthy. There's a lot of questions hanging over this fight as well, but the main one is how much have I got left? Am I declining, am I shot? We'll see."

DeGale's fights against American Truax followed a draw with Badou Jack. He stopped Colombian Fidel Monterrosa Munoz in his last fight in September.

Former WBA super-middleweight champion George Groves, touted as a potential future opponent for DeGale, retired in January.

"I didn't feel anything. I didn't even think about it," said DeGale of Groves' decision.

"I'm concentrating on my fight and what I want to do. I don't care about George Groves' career; he's retired. He thought it was the right time to get out of it and he's knocked it on the head."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/47233259
    Good luck to them trying for a big money fight, which it certainly isn't in my view. I don't know about Degale but EU certainly has a load of followers 20-30 yr olds with money to splash on £100 tickets at the O2, cant see the ppv bringing in much but time will tell.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

The McLaren is about £180k, not a bad price for a Brighton boys runabout, you are so out of touch Fenster, not keeping up with social mediabollox, I'll leave the whose best looking to Brighton residents.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lee Selby interview: A tale of triumph, tragedy and a second coming on the James DeGale vs Chris Eubank Jr undercard

Few fighters have walked the line of tragedy and success with the same silent valour as Lee Selby. The slender Barry-born boxer, slightly tanned but largely unscuffed after weeks spent touring Los Angeles’ roughneck gyms, returns to the ring on Saturday nine months after losing his featherweight world title to Josh Warrington.

Selby’s career, even in world title triumph, has been unforgiving. He speaks in the slightly tired manner of having already been here a thousand times. A career where he has reached the summit, but never quite seen the stars.

The last time Selby was seen outside of the ring, taking to the scales before that gruelling bloodbath with Warrington, Selby cut a dangerous mess of skin, sinew and bone. Gaunt in the face with dark circles around his eyes, he had spent the last three weeks chewing on lettuce leaves trying to trick his stomach into believing he was full, as he wrung his 5’9” frame down to a skeletal 126lbs (57kg).

“I wouldn’t eat,” Selby tells The Independent. “I couldn’t spar for three weeks out from a fight because of how few calories I was eating. I was just on the cross-trainer or running all day. I would be constantly thinking about my weight, it was mentally draining. Looking back, I can’t even imagine how I did it.”

Selby was exhausted and outclassed in a punishing and ultimately one-sided contest with Warrington. After three years as a world champion, only pride and mettle kept him on his feet.

Defeat in a sport like boxing rarely brings relief, but after toiling at the weight in search of that one big fight – and payday – Selby was finally released from the crippling cycle. It may not have been on his own terms, but in a game so crude and often unjust, it became cathartic. “It’s not frustrating,” he says. “To be honest, it felt like I could finally move on.”

Selby has now moved up two weight divisions, to lightweight, giving himself an extra 9lbs of leeway. On Saturday, he takes on Omar Douglas, a dreadlocked puncher from Delaware, who has only lost twice in his career – both times at world title level – and is eyeing a coronation of his own. Selby could have had a softer touch on his return, but that’s not what he wanted. That’s not who he is.

Still living just a short drive from the council estate in Barry in South Wales where he grew up, Selby is on the one hand so daring and borderless, but on the other inseparably rooted in his hometown. “It’s all I know,” he says. “It might be tough to an outsider, but not when you’re brought up like that. It’s just the life everybody is living around me.”

Children wail in the kitchen along with the sound of the television set, just down the road is the rundown gym where his father catapulted him into boxing aged 8, and where he had his first amateur fight, 22 years ago, as a fearless 10-year-old boy.

“It was hard from the beginning,” he says. “I was fighting on the small hall shows, no money, no slots on TV, going away as the opponent. It’s tough but you appreciate it more when you’ve done it the hard way.”

Home has also been a place of heartache.

When Selby’s older brother, Michael, suddenly passed away, it was the gym where he re-devoted himself to boxing after time spent papering over his emotions. When he became Wales’ 12th world champion, beating undefeated Russian Evgeny Gradovich in 2015, despite “nobody believing it was possible”, it was Michael to whom he dedicated the belt.

Eighteen months ago, when preparing to make the third defence of that belt, Selby arrived at his hotel room in London on the Tuesday evening of fight week. At 3am in the morning, he was awoken by numerous phone calls from his younger brother, Andrew, back in Barry. Only in the morning did he find out his mother, Frankie, had been rushed to hospital and passed away during the night.

Outside of his close circle, Selby didn’t tell anybody. Still starving himself to make the weight, he insisted he would fight on. “That’s just me I guess,” he says. “I just got on with it, that’s just the type of person I am.” That night, he produced one of the most impressive and assured performances of his career and drove back to Barry to see his family before sunrise.

So, you see, when Lee Selby says defeat to Josh Warrington was “just another fight” he hasn’t watched back yet, it’s not an attempt at a front. And when he says he is returning to the ring to become Wales’ first two-weight world champion, not for the money, you believe him too. He is no average, nor ordinary fighter, but he is disarmingly honest.

A career, and a life, where everything has been earned in the hardest possible way and where success has walked hand-in-hand with tragedy from sports hall to stadium. Sometimes, between training and raising his two daughters, he’ll walk long and high up into the fields and woods above the town to go shooting with his seven dogs to get away from it all. To get a taste of “an easy life”.

“A nice, easy life,” he says heavily. That’s what he is most looking forward to. “I’ve done enough work in these gyms to last me a lifetime.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/lee...002219253.html

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never ceases to amaze me that after all this time, with countless precedents and unlimited knowledge at their disposal, there are still fighters doing things this way and putting their neck on the chopping block. That or they're lying through their back teeth. Whats equally as amazing is the teams these people have endorsing this kind of behaviour.

The Selby's are a weird pair. Neither of them seem to like boxing that much, Lee just wants to tick over quietly with his kids and dogs, Andrew with not even a dozen pro fights under his belt talks openly about not liking boxing.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Degale looked long faced after he lost the title to Caleb Truax.
    Attached Images
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I put some money on Eubank by KO between rounds 1-3, banking on DeGale being shot
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mental press conference - Paulie/Old man Eubank/parliamentary procedure/George Groves booted from the broadcast/George Groves reinstated/substances/vodka/Africa/Rawanda cleanest place on earth/Elvis Presley/FBI and Sergeant Eubank is a global police officer.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it just me or is degale sounding even more punch drunk than usual just lately?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm quite looking forward to it now, I think Jr will win which will piss me off big time.

Paulie was the only cunt who wanted to speak sense during the presser

Thread Information