Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Degale v Eubank Jnr

I just read that Jnr has a new trainer from the Mayweather gym.
    No idea who it is but maybe it'll be like Apollo training Rocky to beat Clubber Lang šŸ˜
    Not in a Million years is this a PPV event but should be a decent grudge match still.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What is Eubank doing at 168?!

He is doing himself a major disservice.

I think now that BJS has no longer got a title it would be easier for Eubank to drop back to 160 and start making a few waves at his natural weight.

Eubank vs Andrade for the IBF title?

Then Eubank vs BJS 2?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jr has been going to the Mayweather Club for years, doing loads of stuff with old boy Floyd and others, fat lot of good it did him. He's not improving or changing now, just needs to be matched with the right styles. He'll give anyone a decent row who isn't world-class and half-slick.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The pair announced yesterday they would trade blows in a super middleweight contest at the O2 Arena on February 23.

The fight has long been expected and their brewing rivalry over the last few years will reach boiling point in seven weeksā€™ time.

DeGale suggested the grudge match is a ā€œretirement fightā€ for the loser, with both men still trying to rebuild their reputations from recent losses.

DeGale (25-2-1), whose name occupies the left side of the bill, shockingly lost his IBF world title to Caleb Truax in December 2017 and despite avenging the defeat four months later is still yet to convince fans heā€™s not on the decline.

Eubank Jr (27-2), meanwhile, looked bereft of ideas during his points loss to George Groves in February 2018 and won a tune-up fight in September.

The bout will be shown on ITV Box Office, which drew some criticism from boxing fans who feel they should not pay for what is more a grudge match than an elite level fight.

When posed about the prospect of backlash, DeGale, 32, asked iFL TV: ā€œHow can you knock this fight?

ā€œRight about now is about being in fights that people want to see me in.
    ā€œI think the majority of England and a lot of the boxing fans want to see this fight.

ā€œThe rivalry with me and Eubank goes back from when he come to my gym - we did six rounds or whatever, I donā€™t know.

ā€œHe left, the day after on Twitter he said he schooled me. And from there itā€™s gone back and forth.

ā€œFinally now I get my just to shut him up, embarrass him, school him. Iā€™m gonna show him how to box, again.ā€

DeGale also made clear his intention not to outstay his welcome in the sport, and admitted he could well retire after this fight, win or lose.

The plan remains to fight for a world title once more, though, after relinquishing it in early 2018 so he could secure some box-office fights before his career ends.

ā€œI spoke to my advisor Al Haymon, and I will get the chance to box for another world title before my career is done,ā€ DeGale claimed.

ā€œI would like to be a three-time world champion. I would like to win the WBC or the WBA, whatever.ā€

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/boxi...ox-officeg/amp
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

James DeGale vs Chris Eubank Jr undercard to feature Lee Selby and Joe Joyce

It appears as though there will be at least a couple of known names appearing in the preliminary fights on 23 February

James DeGale will fight Chris Eubank Jr in the headline attraction of an ITV Box Office pay-per-view show on February 23 in London.

The bout was officially announced on Thursday and will feature a couple of other big names on the undercard.

DeGale revealed in an interview with IFLTV that heā€™s ā€œpretty sureā€ former IBF featherweight world champion Lee Selby will be on the card, alongside heavyweight contender Joe Joyce.

31-year-old Selby recently declared that he will be moving up to lightweight following his defeat to Josh Warrington in May.

His return fight is not expected to see him in against top opposition, as he will come back after a nine-month layoff and be testing out a new weight class.

33-year-old Joyce only turned professional late in 2017 and so a bout on this card would be his eighth professional contest.

Regardless, it is hoped that we will see him in against a step up in opposition, as he must be moved quickly in order to reach title contention before itā€™s too late.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...lby-joe-joyce/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DeGale is well past his best now. He never had that much power, but he was a tidy boxer with a good heart. He could never avoid getting caught up in wars and I think that is catching up with him now.

Eubank was being built up as if he was the second coming of Marvin Hagler, and his distasteful reaction when he badly injured that bloke was horrible. Groves showed him up for what he is .... a tough, fit guy with a real lack of boxing fundamentals

A peak DeGale justvtoys with any version of Eubank over 12 painful and boring rounds. The only interest here is to see how much DeGale has got left.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

De Gale says he is injury free and back to his best, I guess he would say that, but if he is then he wins comfortably. If he is not then he gets stopped brutally.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I donā€™t like either of these guys, though Eubank seems especially cringe. Think he wins though. Limited as he is, thereā€™s no reason to think heā€™s not at his best, and no reason to think Degale has much left. His fights with truax showed a huge decline in form. If he doesnā€™t have it in him to avoid a dogfight with that caliber of opponent(no disrespect to truax, very good journeyman), heā€™s not about to put on a clinic against a guy who is quite a bit better at the same stuff. Hope Iā€™m wrong and agree at his best degale wins in style, but he looks done.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lee Selby is set to return on the undercard, against highly underrated Omar Douglas. This fight is supposed to be at 135. This won't be an easy fight, and I even slightly favor Douglas here.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joyce vs Stiverne also set for the undercard.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris Eubank Jr playing mind games with James DeGale in Instagram comments

The super-middleweights will square off on February 23 at the O2 Arena

With just over a month to go until their fight, Chris Eubank Jr is starting to turn up the heat on James DeGale.

The pair exchanged words at the initial press conference to announce their fight on February 23 in London, however their old rivalry is yet to truly catch fire.

Now, however, Eubank Jr has started to prod at his opponent by leaving a subtle comment on social media to play mind games.

DeGale posted a picture of himself training with an impressive looking barbell, only for Eubank Jr to reply on Sunday night: ā€œWeights will not save you.ā€

Previously, angry words have been publicly exchanged back-and-forth between the pair, stemming from a dispute over a sparring session that took place several years ago.

Upon the announcement of the fight, DeGale declared: ā€œReally excited and looking forward to being back home to a fight of this magnitude.

ā€œI believe Eubank doesnā€™t have the pedigree, the size and skill to beat me.

ā€œEubank is a decent fighter but every time he has stepped up he has been found out.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...gram-comments/

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wilder's younger brother Marsellos (don't give his Mrs a foot rub) has been added to the bill

Marsellos Wilder, the younger brother of WBC Heavyweight Champion Deontay, will make his UK debut at The O2 in London on Saturday 23rd February.

The first big British boxing show of 2019 and PBCā€™s premiere event in the UK has set the standards high and Wilder joins a huge list of star names on the show headlined with the mouthwatering clash between grudge rivals James DeGale and Chris Eubank Jr., supported with the explosive showdown between Commonwealth Heavyweight Champion Joe Joyce and Former World Champion Bermane Stiverne, plusthe return of Former IBF World Featherweight Champion Lee Selby.

With Deontay, the ā€œBronze Bomberā€, holding the WBC crown and coming off a thrilling fight against Tyson Fury to defend his title, fast-rising star Marsellos is creating a name for himself in the division below at Cruiserweight where heā€™s undefeated in three fights with two knockouts.

The 29-year-old from Tuscaloosa, Alabama, first fights this Saturday night in Brooklyn, New York, when he faces Will Florentino on the PBC show headlined by the highly-anticipated return of WBA World Welterweight Champion Keith Thurman against battle-hardened contender Josesito Lopez, televised live in the UK on ITV4.

Marsellos will then follow in the footsteps of Deontay, who stopped Olympic Champion Audley Harrison inside a round in Sheffield in April 2013, by having his first fight in the UK as he builds towards joining his older sibling in becoming a World Champion and Deontay will accompany Marsellos on his first excursion to the UK.

He said, ā€œI feel super duper blessed. Iā€™m grateful to get this ultimate experience to be able to go to another country and showcase my talents to another culture. Iā€™m going to give it my all and give it my best for the fans in the UK and represent the U.S."

ā€œItā€™s going to be great to have my brother who is the Heavyweight Champion of the World to be able to watch me perform in the UK. It brings me a lot of motivation and pride to be able to perform in the UK and represent our last name. Thatā€™s amazing.ā€

Deontay beamed, "I think itā€™s a grand deal for him to be able to display his talent before the UK fans. Boxing is very popular there. Itā€™s going to be fun to be able to root him on. Itā€™s going to be good for him to get that experience outside of the U.S. Iā€™m very excited for him. Iā€™m looking forward to coming over there and being with the fans and to show support for that fact that weā€™re teamed with ITV and weā€™ll be doing PBC shows there.ā€

http://www.secondsout.com/news/deont...--boxing-debut
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Wilder's younger brother Marsellos (don't give his Mrs a foot rub) has been added to the bill

Marsellos Wilder, the younger brother of WBC Heavyweight Champion Deontay, will make his UK debut at The O2 in London on Saturday 23rd February.

The first big British boxing show of 2019 and PBCā€™s premiere event in the UK has set the standards high and Wilder joins a huge list of star names on the show headlined with the mouthwatering clash between grudge rivals James DeGale and Chris Eubank Jr., supported with the explosive showdown between Commonwealth Heavyweight Champion Joe Joyce and Former World Champion Bermane Stiverne, plusthe return of Former IBF World Featherweight Champion Lee Selby.

With Deontay, the ā€œBronze Bomberā€, holding the WBC crown and coming off a thrilling fight against Tyson Fury to defend his title, fast-rising star Marsellos is creating a name for himself in the division below at Cruiserweight where heā€™s undefeated in three fights with two knockouts.

The 29-year-old from Tuscaloosa, Alabama, first fights this Saturday night in Brooklyn, New York, when he faces Will Florentino on the PBC show headlined by the highly-anticipated return of WBA World Welterweight Champion Keith Thurman against battle-hardened contender Josesito Lopez, televised live in the UK on ITV4.

Marsellos will then follow in the footsteps of Deontay, who stopped Olympic Champion Audley Harrison inside a round in Sheffield in April 2013, by having his first fight in the UK as he builds towards joining his older sibling in becoming a World Champion and Deontay will accompany Marsellos on his first excursion to the UK.

He said, ā€œI feel super duper blessed. Iā€™m grateful to get this ultimate experience to be able to go to another country and showcase my talents to another culture. Iā€™m going to give it my all and give it my best for the fans in the UK and represent the U.S."

ā€œItā€™s going to be great to have my brother who is the Heavyweight Champion of the World to be able to watch me perform in the UK. It brings me a lot of motivation and pride to be able to perform in the UK and represent our last name. Thatā€™s amazing.ā€

Deontay beamed, "I think itā€™s a grand deal for him to be able to display his talent before the UK fans. Boxing is very popular there. Itā€™s going to be fun to be able to root him on. Itā€™s going to be good for him to get that experience outside of the U.S. Iā€™m very excited for him. Iā€™m looking forward to coming over there and being with the fans and to show support for that fact that weā€™re teamed with ITV and weā€™ll be doing PBC shows there.ā€

http://www.secondsout.com/news/deont...--boxing-debut
    Quote - I am SUPER DUPER BLESSED !
    Is he 10 years old or retarded or both ?
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Groves back in the gym and could fight James DeGale vs Chris Eubank Jr winner, reveals trainer Shane McGuigan

The Saint will likely make an announcement regarding his future soon

George Grovesā€™ trainer Shane McGuigan has revealed the former super-middleweight world champion is now back in the gym.

The 30-year-old lost his WBA title to Callum Smith last September in what was the fourth defeat of his career.

This prompted retirement speculation from fans and he has since spent a well-earned period away from the sport and away from the media spotlight.

ā€œI think heā€™s enjoyed the time off, reflecting with his family and switching off from boxing,ā€ McGuigan told Boxing Social.

ā€œHeā€™s back in the gym now just doing some conditioning. Iā€™ll let George discuss his future plans.

ā€œBut I think it was great for him to have a bit of a breather from it and reflect on what he wants in the next stage of his life and the next stage of his career.

ā€œI think that [an announcement on his future] is gonna be very soon, heā€™s gonna sit down with his promoters and his team and discuss the options. Heā€™s still processing it.ā€

Prior to his defeat to Smith in the World Boxing Super Series final, George Groves overcame Chris Eubank Jr by decision.

Eubank Jr is now set to square off with another of Grovesā€™ former foes, James DeGale, with McGuigan believing that the winner could potentially be a big fight to tempt his man to continue.

When asked if the winner of the February 23 fight made sense for Groves, McGuigan replied: ā€œI think so, if DeGale won.

ā€œBut then again, are you doing it for the wrong reasons? You canā€™t just set your mind on one fight.

ā€œI think that would be the one that would get him up the most, but so would the chance to avenge the loss against [Callum] Smith and Badou Jack.

ā€œThe super-middleweight division ā€“ I donā€™t know if he can make it again personally.ā€

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...hane-mcguigan/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris Eubank Jr aims to relaunch career by sending Brit rival James DeGale into retirement

The 29-year-old faces the two-time IBF super-middleweight champion at the 02 Arena on February 23

CHRIS EUBANK JR is back in the deep end ā€” and he knows defeat could see him washed up as a high-profile boxer.

After just one year and one underwhelming tune-up fight since his super-middleweight title loss to George Groves, he is taking on another of West Londonā€™s finest in the packed division.

When the fight with two-time IBF king and 2008 Olympic gold medal winner James DeGale was announced, 29-year-old Eubank refused to agree to a retirement clause, insisting he had too much in the tank to consider quitting.

But a third top-level defeat, having fallen short against Billy Joe Saunders in 2014 and The Saint last February after rebuilding, would leave him perilously close to rock bottom.

Most of the early bravado, which was not helped by his father embellishing his ability, has subsided.

Now the Brighton fighter concedes that failure on February 23 at the O2 Arena in London could run his dreams aground.

Sitting in his East Sussex gym without the guidance of Chris Sr, Junior said: ā€œI am proud of what I have done but there is so much more I want to do.

ā€œI want to become a world champion and win multiple belts, so this fight is make or break for me.

ā€œI have to beat James in convincing fashion so I can go on to fight for world titles or legitimately fight the best, I cannot afford a flat performance.

ā€œJames was talking about the loser having to retire but I donā€™t really pay attention to that. Losing never comes into my mind but this is a fight I cannot lose.

ā€œA defeat would leave me in a very difficult spot in my career. This is the most important fight of my life.ā€

To overcome the taller DeGale, a natural 12st fighter with a longer reach, Eubank will have to have dramatically improved on the courageous but basic brawler who was comfortably outpointed by Groves.

In a last-ditch attempt to improve, he has finally employed a full-time coach to work alongside veteran Ronnie Davies.

Nate Vasquez, a part of Floyd Mayweatherā€™s team in Las Vegas, has moved into Eubankā€™s Brighton mansion, along with specific southpaw sparring partner Denis Douglin.

The mention of new room-mates puts a shock smile on the 27-2 fighter, who makes mean and moody look effortless.

Tucking the grin away after a rare outing, he said: ā€œAfter ten years of living alone, it has been a bit of a shock. And itā€™s two men too, not a woman. A woman I could handle ā€” but two men is different.

ā€œIt has been a huge undertaking and something I had to really get used to. Luckily, they are not animals or pigs.

ā€œI got lucky, they clean up after themselves and it has actually been a nice experience. Would I have them live with me outside of a fight camp? Probably not but itā€™s working.

ā€œI am happy. Everything is falling into place inside and outside of boxing.ā€

The role in the corner for his father, who was away on a trip to Africa, is yet to be decided.

Junior insists the relationship remains strong but says Vasquez will be the leading man in his corner, sliding between the ropes during the breaks and helping to formulate the game-plan.

DeGale has always spoken highly of his 52-year-old former two-weight world champion dad, but Junior admitted it has played on his mind when rivals verbally attacked his father over previous fights.

He said: ā€œMy dad is still around the same amount, he was not training me for the Groves fight, he was not in the gym with me every day, he never has been, he is a busy man with his own life.

ā€œI can speak for myself. I also donā€™t need rival fighters targeting him to try to get under my skin.

ā€œHe is still a big part of the team, he always will be. Will he be in the corner on the night? We have not discussed that yet. But Nate will be Noā€‰1 in the corner.ā€

ā€˜Next Genā€™, as he has branded himself, does hope to have plenty of other family members in the ring.

Brother Seb made his light-heavyweight debut on the Groves undercard, cousin Harlem is a 7-0 prospect and half-brother Nathaniel Wilson is now part of the family after reconciling with Chris Sr.

Junior said: ā€œWeā€™ve got Team Eubank going. Itā€™s great to have brothers and cousins fighting and involved in the sport.

ā€œI will be trying to get some, if not all, of them on the bill. That would be a great thing to do. Seb spends a lot of time in Dubai, we used to train together a lot but we donā€™t really get to any more.

ā€œHarlem is in and out of this gym quite often. I have never trained with Nathaniel but he is welcome down here anytime.ā€

Privately educated Eubank has been questioned for insisting on fighting at 168lbs when he is naturally more suited to the division below.

Junior now admits he is open to a return down to middleweight but has defended the fight game.

He said: ā€œI would not say boxing is a mugā€™s game. Itā€™s only a mugā€™s game if you donā€™t prepare and dedicate yourself to it, then it is a mugā€™s game 100 per cent.

ā€œYou are going to get beaten up, hurt, used. You are going to get put on shows to lose and not get paid. Boxing is a hard way to earn money.

ā€œBut if you are going to be responsible, if you are going to make it your lifeā€™s work and be in the gym every day, living and eating right, it is not a mugā€™s game.

ā€œDone right, boxing is the most noble and amazing sport in the world.ā€

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/82863...le-retirement/

Thread Information