Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Groves v Smith to be held in Saudi Arabia

I've not seen or heard anything from either of the Eubanks since he lost to Groves.
    Must have been a massive kick in the bollocks for his ego, he has completely gone off the radar.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sanatogen View Post
    Talking of Eubank Jr, is he still hiding under a mo hole cover somewhere, or has he indicated what he's doing next?
    Eubank Junior was probably waiting and hoping to see if Groves would pull out of the fight against Smith.

Rumour was he wanted De Gale.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's still tagging his tweets with #nextgen bless him.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There was talk a couple of weeks ago of him being on the undercard of this final. You watch his old man big it up like he's gonna fucking steal the show or something. Pair of dicks.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Groves on the long, painful and expensive road back to the ring to face the undefeated Callum Smith

George Groves had just beaten Chris Eubank Jr in February’s modern British grudge match but he felt like his career was over.

“I was in the ambulance with my wife, and I remember saying to her ‘I suppose it’s not a bad one to go out on’,” Groves says. “I’m in agony at that point, my shoulder’s hanging out. I thought if this is a two-year comeback, at my age do I really want to do that? Maybe not.

“But later on that night they pop it back in, and they said ‘You’ll be alright’, and it was just back to it.”
    Groves had intelligently outboxed Eubank behind his famous jab until the 12th round when the shoulder which helps administer the trademark weapon deserted him. The dislocation was so bad that it almost allowed his opponent to secure an unlikely late stoppage.

But the WBA super-middleweight champion managed to hold on, hear the final bell and then all three judges return a verdict in his favour. Even so, Groves thought his decade-long career might be at an end.

“From the explanation we got, it’s the ball and socket which has basically gone,” explains Groves, making a fist with his right hand and and driving it into the palm of his left. It disappeared under the pressure. When the shoulder pops out, the muscles go into spasm and crush the bone, so there’s a big divot missing from there.

“Instead of adding bone to the divot they extend the shoulder, taking bone from one side of the pec-side of the shoulder and taking tendons with it. The tendon and extra bone and two screws secure it in place.

“We saw one of the leading surgeons in the country from the best clinic in the country. They’re very happy with the option of the surgery we chose. The major damage is that it’s rock solid; you’ve got to try and get mobility back in there.”

It has been a long, painful and expensive road back for Groves, who has forked out £50,000 of his own money to extend his career, at least until his 28 September clash with Callum Smith in the World Boxing Super Series final.

Initially it had been suggested that it was Groves’ injury which forced the showdown into the autumn but the Londoner says there were other factors at play. Regardless, the hold-up has allowed his shoulder vital time to recover before facing the undefeated Smith, with Jeddah emerging as the surprising host.

Groves adds: “Obviously it took [the organisers] so much time because they were deciding whether to do it in the UK or Saudi Arabia. It worked out that there are more incentives to have it abroad, and they’ve had to find a date in the calendar that doesn’t clash with other big fights.

“It’s a date we can now work towards, put that stress behind us, and we’re good to go. The shoulder’s doing well, responding well. It’s really hard to make a proper plan without a proper date; now we’ve got a proper date we can make a proper plan, so we’ve stepped the rehab up, and it’s good we know exactly what we’re working to.

It’s a big injury. I’ve had injuries before but you go for surgery and they almost correct themselves, whereas this, you’ve got to learn to walk again. It’s coming back. I’m back sparring now, proper sparring,

“All in all, with the surgery and rehab, I reckon it has cost me over 50 grand. When you’re a boxer it’s all on you. This is how it is. Fortunately I’ve got enough money to invest in my shoulder, and the expertise to get there – now it’s bulletproof.

“In terms of the amount of recovery time I could have between the semi final and the final, it’s a case of the longer the better. But we’ve been in the gym training so it will feel like a long camp by the end of it.”

When Groves originally signed up for the World Boxing Super Series last year, he had suggested during an interview with The Independent that winning the eight-man tournament may be the perfect excuse for him to retire.

Despite being only 30 years old and with 31 professional fights to date, the self-styled ‘Saint’ feels like one of the elder statesmen still currently active in British boxing.

It is now four years since he was emphatically halted by Carl Froch at Wembley Stadium and seven since he beat arch-rival James DeGale on pay-per-view. But a new arrival to the Groves household, second son Albie, has reinvigorated his desire to box on, even though his profession has left the parental burden on wife and childhood sweetheart Sophie.

“He was due end of July but came a bit early,” Groves says after polishing off his lunch at a pub just round the corner from the Battersea gym in which he trains. “He’s sweet, he’s the least stressful thing going in my life at the moment – all he does is sleep. The feeding, I’m not part of.

“My wife’s fantastic, this is probably the hardest part for her and I feel for her. But she understands that I have to be selfish at times. When she has had no sleep, she has to get up to feed our two year old and leaves me in bed, I feel guilty. But I manage to sleep through that guilt.

“My first son, Ted, was at the hotel for the Fedor Chudinov fight when I won the world title. He came about a week after I fought Martin Murray [in June 2016] so this time we were hoping to get Smith out the way and then have the baby. That’s why I was pushing for the early July date but it wasn’t meant to be.

“That’s a new addition to the family and another incentive to win and another incentive to box on, so let’s see. But once I win this tournament, especially now the Ring Magazine belt is on the line against Smith, I will be struggling for things to tick off the bucket list.

“I’m sure I’ll find a couple more but I’m pretty much there.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news...cid=spartanntp

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

World Boxing Super Series: George Groves & Callum Smith concerned over Jeddah final

Britain's George Groves and Callum Smith are concerned fans may struggle to attend their World Boxing Super Series final in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

The pair meet in the tournament final on 28 September, with Groves' WBA world super-middleweight title on the line.

Fans attending will require visas to enter the country, which still upholds controversial laws on women's rights.

Groves says his wife may not attend, while Smith said it is a "shame" many British fans will not get to go.

"It isn't ideal, especially for a big domestic fight," said Smith, 28. "British fans should have a chance to go and see it. I would probably be able to count on one hand how many are in the venue."

The Middle East country hosted a World Wrestling Entertainment event for the first time in 2018 and men and women were allowed to attend, although no female wrestlers were allowed to compete.

Saudi Arabia only lifted a ban on women driving earlier this year. Women must adhere to a strict dress code, be separated from unrelated men, and be accompanied by or receive written permission from a male guardian - usually a father, husband or brother - if they want to travel, work or access healthcare.

Groves, 30, is unsure if wife Sophie may miss his bout for just the second time in his career and expects it to be "difficult" for fans generally.

"She's coming if she wants," he said. "I'm not sure. She's only ever missed one fight - that was in Brentwood and she got stuck in traffic. She likes to pretend it didn't happen but it took her five hours to get there.

"That's the only one she's ever missed, she's the best fan I've ever had. She was there at York Hall on a non-TV show for my second fight.

"There will be a few regular faces who won't be able to make it and that will be disappointing, but ultimately I just want to get on with business."

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office says those wishing to travel should use visa agencies accredited to the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia. Many providers quote the visa cost at £130, but figures can more than double when processing fees are added.

Promoter Kalle Sauerland has overseen the inaugural World Boxing Super Series.

He said the bout was "historical" because Saudi Arabia has "never seen boxing before at this level" and expects access to be "problem free" for those who wish to attend.

"It will be the first time in this region that such an event will take place," said Sauerland.

"One day Groves and Smith will be able to tell their children and grandchildren that they were the first to fight in this region."

Smith will put his unbeaten record on the line when the pair meet at the 10,000-capacity Indoor Sports Hall at King Abdullah Sports City, while champion Groves has 28 wins from 31 bouts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/45306343

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing is bigger than drunk and deluded Brit fans. The reason why boxing is doing poorly around the world is because the sport has turned into a Brit/German/North American affair for the most part- in that, at the very least, if you don't fight in either country no one knows you. But, the downside is no one else gets to know and show how much they love the sport.

The sport is even bigger in Mexico, but you would never fully appreciate how big because everyone wants to come across the border and fight in Vegas or Cali, or even Texas, just to make a name.

I have long since held the belief that markets like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan, Nigeria now, and South-East and Central Asia/Eurasia are HUGE markets for boxing PLUS "money" is on the table- These countries are not poor. Plus, it is good promotions for these countries.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Boxing is bigger than drunk and deluded Brit fans. The reason why boxing is doing poorly around the world is because the sport has turned into a Brit/German/North American affair for the most part- in that, at the very least, if you don't fight in either country no one knows you. But, the downside is no one else gets to know and show how much they love the sport.

The sport is even bigger in Mexico, but you would never fully appreciate how big because everyone wants to come across the border and fight in Vegas or Cali, or even Texas, just to make a name.

I have long since held the belief that markets like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan, Nigeria now, and South-East and Central Asia/Eurasia are HUGE markets for boxing PLUS "money" is on the table- These countries are not poor. Plus, it is good promotions for these countries.
    Exactly how is boxing doing Poorly around the world? Those 'Drunk and Deluded Brit fans' turn up in their thousands and put their money where their mouth is, supporting boxing. Daft. People are just not going to turn up in the same numbers to a Saudi Event in which two Brits are the finalists. FACT. It was an international tournament, the Brits fought and got to the final and now they are in effect preventing their fans watching it live in order to try and open up the Saudi/Arab market. It's jut not there. They have tried and failed many times for a reason. Fans at the event help make the event. It is entertainment not just sport,art, prize fighting and they are a big part of that. Holding it in Saudi hurts that. Hurts the event. Hurts the tournament and boxing.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

18 million watched Murata's last defence on Japanese TV (yeah, I know most are thinking who?). There's only one place boxing is "struggling" and that's because they no longer can claim to be mecca
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not to mention you’d have to think the most corrupt sport in the world probably doesn’t need to bring Nigeria or Saudi Arabia into the equation. Boxing does well anywhere there is a wealth of talented boxers, established promoters and networks, something resembling competent commissions, etc. I don’t really care about this fight happening anywhere that said, but it’s a very weird one to be the first in Saudi Arabia. Maybe they just put up way more money than it’s worth as a kind of pilot? It’s a country with a number of people god knows how wealthy who did nothing to earn their money, wouldn’t surprise.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am surprised it has not been done before. They are diversifying into tourism and this is another way of attracting people to the area.

Now if they can get over the no alcohol and gambling rules they can become the new Mecca of boxing.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I am surprised it has not been done before. They are diversifying into tourism and this is another way of attracting people to the area.

Now if they can get over the no alcohol and gambling rules they can become the new Mecca of boxing.

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

It was Fenster's joke, I can not take credit for it.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't really care where a fight takes place, but many fans of these fighters will miss the opportunity to see the fight live.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post

Exactly how is boxing doing Poorly around the world? Those 'Drunk and Deluded Brit fans' turn up in their thousands and put their money where their mouth is, supporting boxing. Daft. People are just not going to turn up in the same numbers to a Saudi Event in which two Brits are the finalists. FACT. It was an international tournament, the Brits fought and got to the final and now they are in effect preventing their fans watching it live in order to try and open up the Saudi/Arab market. It's jut not there. They have tried and failed many times for a reason. Fans at the event help make the event. It is entertainment not just sport,art, prize fighting and they are a big part of that. Holding it in Saudi hurts that. Hurts the event. Hurts the tournament and boxing.
    If the larger markets like Western Europe and America did not have MEGA TELEVISION PROMOTIONS and INFRASTRUCTURAL DEVELOPMENTS behind them, the market for boxing- despite the fan base- would not be able to carry the sport. Also, since the social and developmental amenities have largely been based in these markets, particularly telecommunications and primarily telecommunications, you don't have as much avenues to PROMOTE and keep promotions SUSTAINED. But this is changing.....

With the advent of much better broadcasting equipment- for God's sake, you can record and broadcast in HIGH DEFINITION from a damn Iphone- the monopoly on VENUES need not be held to Western Europe or North America alone.

As said, boxing is much bigger than drunken and deluded Brit fans, and for that matter, bigger than snooty Germans and also much bigger than the boxing Mafia in the USA.

Population wise in Saudi Arabia, I am sure you can get 5 to 10 thousand people to fill a stadium for a world class title fight and get them to shell out $150 USD for even a nosebleed seat. They are good for that. May not be good for that every week. But every 2 or 3 months or so, they can pull it off.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information