Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Amazon should be boycotted?

Amazon slammed for ‘insult’ tax bill in the UK despite record profits

Amazon disclosed in a filing that its corporate tax bill in Britain was around £4.6 million last year, almost half the £7.4 million it paid in 2016.

The company says it has paid all taxes required in the U.K. and every country that it operates in.
    An anti-tax avoidance advocacy group based in the U.K. criticized the lower tax payment, calling it an "insult."

Amazon has been criticized for paying less corporation tax in the U.K. in 2017 than it did the previous year.

The tech giant disclosed in a filing Thursday that its corporate tax bill in Britain was around £4.6 million ($6 million) last year, almost half the £7.4 million ($9.6 million) it paid in 2016. The amount actually paid was just $1.7 million, due to tax deferrals. Amazon says it has paid all taxes required in the U.K. and every country that it operates in.

The filing was made by Amazon U.K. Services Ltd, a division of the company devoted to warehouses and logistics operations. It also showed that the e-commerce firm's pre-tax profits in the U.K. leaped from about £24.3 million to almost £72.4 million.

Amazon as a whole posted its highest ever quarterly profit last week, reporting a net income of $2.5 billion. It marked the third consecutive quarter in which the company surpassed $1 billion in profits.

In Britain, corporations are required to pay 19 percent of their profits in tax. The government wants to lower this to a rate of 17 percent by 2020.

The Tax Justice Network, an anti-tax avoidance advocacy group based in the U.K., criticized the lower tax payment, calling it an "insult."

"It clearly shows that our global tax system is fundamentally broken and needs urgently fundamental reform," the organization told CNBC via email. "Otherwise, small and medium enterprises will be ruined at the expense of global players who are most aggressive in pushing down their tax rates and controlling ever more market share."

The activist group said large multinational firms should be forced to report their financial activities on a country-by-country basis.

A spokesperson for Amazon said in statement: "Corporation tax is based on profits, not revenues, and our profits have remained low given retail is a highly-competitive, low margin business and our continued heavy investment."

Amazon has around 27,000 employees in the U.K and it grants full-time staffers share awards, which the company says reduce its tax liability. Amazon's share price has increased 84 percent in the past two years.

The news could embolden critics of Amazon who claim the firm and other tech giants are not paying enough tax. President Donald Trump for instance has attacked Amazon frequently, claiming the company pays "little or no taxes to state and local governments."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/03/amaz...d-profits.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amazon should be boycotted?

I ain't boycotting them, I get cheap books from them

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Buy them from a local store.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can get a lot of classic or unknown books for free too. It's a funny one. I might have to do a Walrus and buy some shares.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I am. I was going to buy a PS4 headset for the kids but will spend the little extra and buy at the local high street and enjoy the experience of getting it the old fashioned way.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Everyone is avoiding tax. I order chicken and it is cheaper if you pay cash. From top to bottom everyone is at it. Maybe we should do away with tax like in the olden days. It would get rid of government workers who get into it wanting security and it would mean people are free to do with their money as they please. I don't mind Amazon and pay cash for my chicken. I like the pirates too who didn't bother giving to the monarchy.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    You can get a lot of classic or unknown books for free too. It's a funny one. I might have to do a Walrus and buy some shares.
    Amazon is over 1,800 a share. It has been smoking hot this year. They are getting into pharmacy, healthcare, groceries and who knows what else. It’s a good stock. I beleive a big part of amazon profits are selling cloud storage. Amazing company

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why ? its a lovely river , great for fishing for Arapaima .

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Buy them from a local store.
    Can't get a lot of the books I want from shops, Amazon gives me access to the more obscure books that's ain't usually stocked

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amazon seems to get a lot of stick similar to what Wal mart got when they began putting one on every block and threating small local shops. I didn't realize even Wally World was doing free shipping and all online ordering. I have a neighbor with one just a mile away but she stays online, calls ahead for p/u and just waits in the car as they pile in the bags. Now that's just sad.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

these huge stores like Amazon and Google and apple and all this nonsense are destroying the mom and pop shops. They are destroying the culture. They are taking over everything.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    these huge stores like Amazon and Google and apple and all this nonsense are destroying the mom and pop shops. They are destroying the culture. They are taking over everything.
    Big box stores are nothing new. I remember complaining how Home depot and Lowes took out Sears. Best Buy tko Radio Shack. Nothing sadder than watching Toys R us close their doors but you can argue this keyboard we're all tapping on helped destroy mom and pop shops too. Man you can buy a car online ffs.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amazing will soon sell every fucker every thing under the sun. They are gobbling up every fucker in a monopoly

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Big box stores are nothing new. I remember complaining how Home depot and Lowes took out Sears. Best Buy tko Radio Shack. Nothing sadder than watching Toys R us close their doors but you can argue this keyboard we're all tapping on helped destroy mom and pop shops too. Man you can buy a car online ffs.
    A lot of those companies didn’t see the writing on the wall. Sears had a good base built with the sears catoluge which shipped out anything. Radio shack was well positioned to spruce up and update their stores. Amazon grew a lot of independent places and the cardboard industry did very well. A lot of business to trucking companies and so on. I do think they could be subject to
    Anti-trust laws and it could become an issue someday. Two out of every five dollars spent online goes to amazon. Say what you well, it is amazing what Jeff Bezos did. He started by selling books. He is also the son of a Cuban immigrant, bright guy. In addition. I’m sure he gives a shitload of money to all the senators for protection, our government is like the mafia

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They brought me 4-litres of milk which will be past the use-by-date on Wednesday with my weekly shopping this morning. Not happy. Definitely boycott until tomorrow
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information