Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: New Snow

This year we had rain, and even snow, through June so the flooding lasted into July. Thankfully, our fire season has been minimal.

Hunters here hope for snow to push the elk down out of the mountains.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    This year we had rain, and even snow, through June so the flooding lasted into July. Thankfully, our fire season has been minimal.

Hunters here hope for snow to push the elk down out of the mountains.
    Last season we had a bumper crop of acorns so the deer were all "Fuck this I'm sleeping in, I'll binge on acorns at midnight"

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Deer that eat acorns must taste pretty good. The best are the deer that eat alfalfa. The deer, and antelope, that eat sagebrush taste bad and end up as sausage and jerky.

El Kabong Guest

Deer that eat acorns must taste pretty good. The best are the deer that eat alfalfa. The deer, and antelope, that eat sagebrush taste bad and end up as sausage and jerky.
    They eat all sorts of things down this way, but yeah typically they will fatten up on acorns going into winter.

Down here deer like: wild blackberries and raspberries/brambles, grapes muscadines and scuppernogs (good eating, make horrible candy sweet wines though), pokeweed, clover (oh they go NUTS for clover), greenbriar, honeysuckle, strawberry bush, and American beautyberry.

I've yet to have venison that is bad. I've yet to have it poorly cooked as well...guess I'm lucky.

I'd love to try antelope (and hunt antelope)
    Last edited by El Kabong; 08-30-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    They eat all sorts of things down this way, but yeah typically they will fatten up on acorns going into winter.

Down here deer like: wild blackberries and raspberries/brambles, grapes muscadines and scuppernogs (good eating, make horrible candy sweet wines though), pokeweed, clover (oh they go NUTS for clover), greenbriar, honeysuckle, strawberry bush, and American beautyberry.

I've yet to have venison that is bad. I've yet to have it poorly cooked as well...guess I'm lucky.

I'd love to try antelope (and hunt antelope)
    I've heard that if you can shoot long distance, hunting antelope is easy. Then there's the archery hunters and that has to be very hard to do. You only see them in wide open spaces and they are very alert and very fast. I have a friend from Wyoming, the antelope capital of the US, and he told me that they are good eating but every part of the process has to go right.

Thread Information