Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fury v Wilder - Staples Center, Los Angeles 1/12/18

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Fucking disgrace, can't find anyone (with half a clue) that had Wilder winning.
    Why is it a disgrace? Sure 115-111 is a disgrace, but a clear case for a draw can be made. Are KD's not meant to be scored? They make a round count double pretty much.
    No they don't. Fury had an argument for winning both rounds he was knocked down in.

Nobody thinks Wilder won.
    It is very rare a KD round is scored 10-9 just because you land a few more shots. Those were 10-8 rounds. They score extra points. The first 4 rounds were nip and tuck. I gave Wilder 2 of them. Mathematically you end up with 6-6.

I agree I do not think Wilder won the fight, but based on scoring round by round neither did Fury. Fury was the better boxer, but he couldn't stay on his feet.
    You might want to check your math a bit there. It’s still 8-4, Fury just loses two points. That gives you 114-112, an acceptable score. What rounds could you give Wilder after the 4th, aside from 9 and 12? The fact it’s scored round by round is exactly why the result is rubbish. Casual fans won’t have a problem with the draw because it looked like Fury was dead for 6 seconds.
    Exactly!
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate hate to say this but fury might be best heavy of our generation. based on this n kit fight he beats Joshua

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why is it a disgrace? Sure 115-111 is a disgrace, but a clear case for a draw can be made. Are KD's not meant to be scored? They make a round count double pretty much.
    No they don't. Fury had an argument for winning both rounds he was knocked down in.

It is very rare a KD round is scored 10-9 just because you land a few more shots. Those were 10-8 rounds. They score extra points. The first 4 rounds were nip and tuck. I gave Wilder 2 of them. Mathematically you end up with 6-6.

I agree I do not think Wilder won the fight, but based on scoring round by round neither did Fury. Fury was the better boxer, but he couldn't stay on his feet.
    You might want to check your math a bit there. It’s still 8-4, Fury just loses two points. That gives you 114-112, an acceptable score. What rounds could you give Wilder after the 4th, aside from 9 and 12? The fact it’s scored round by round is exactly why the result is rubbish. Casual fans won’t have a problem with the draw because it looked like Fury was dead for 6 seconds.
    Exactly!
    Fury was also given nearly half a minute to recover.

Those first 4 rounds could have gone either way really, just depends on what you are seeing. I would need to watch them again myself. It has nothing to do with Fury being dead for several seconds. That's just a 10-8 round.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’ll have to rewatch also, but my impression was since there was little meaningful work done in the first 4, you go to ring generalship, and that was all Fury. Wilder looked clueless the way he was biting on feints. You could probably have it 2 a piece, 4 zip Fury was also fine. After that wilder literally didn’t win 10 seconds of the fight that Fury wasn’t being counted. I’m saying to your average guy, the severity of the knock in 12th makes the overall result easier to accept. If it had been a flash or off balance type thing more people probably would’ve protested the outcome, although it’s the same thing on the cards.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I am making no case for Wilder winning, just saying that I can see a draw there based on those early rounds and the KD's. Going into the 12th I FELT that Wilder needed a KO, but I certainly had not been keeping a scorecard.

I timed the KD just now too and it was a good 21 seconds that Fury had before action resumed in the 12th. The count was correct, but he had too much extra time. Thankfully for Fury the fight was in the states.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think jack reiss(who was uncharacteristically good all night) was probably just as shocked as anyone that he got up, and wanted to make sure he wasn’t about to lay an egg and let fury get hurt. It was a good move having him take a walk and as it turned out wilder was pretty gassed anyways. Nothing struck me as unfair or controversial.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly!
    Fury was also given nearly half a minute to recover.

Those first 4 rounds could have gone either way really, just depends on what you are seeing. I would need to watch them again myself. It has nothing to do with Fury being dead for several seconds. That's just a 10-8 round.
    I don't think the first four rounds could have gone either way (maybe the 1st), I watched one fighter totally control the pace and distance whilst constantly popping a jab and countering every wild missed right hand with combinations and pressure (which mirrored what the majority saw - Fury winning rounds).

Subconsciously the knockdowns have had an affect, you believe those are clear-cut 10-8 rounds. Why? Because it's simple to score a knockdown but not simple to score subtle boxing.

(that isn't a criticism of you, I scored the knockdowns 10-8 too, just saying they are distorting the idea one man didn't dominate the other)
    Last edited by Fenster; 12-03-2018 at 05:54 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury can get even better in rematch, questionable that Wilder can get better.

Terence Crawford said Fury got back on his feet like Undertaker, classic.

Appetite out there for a rematch with Joshua continuing to sit on the sidelines waiting, keeping busy.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lennox Lewis hits out at judges after Tyson Fury is denied stunning win

Former world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis led the condemnation of the judges who denied Tyson Fury a fairytale win over Deontay Wilder in Los Angeles.

Despite climbing off the canvas twice – the second knockdown in the final round appeared to momentarily leave him out cold – most observers thought Fury had done enough to claim a decision.

Victory would have completed a remarkable comeback for Fury, who has shed in excess of 100lbs and dealt with serious mental health issues over the last couple of years.

But the contest was scored 115-111 for Wilder, 114-112 for Fury and 113-113 as a draw was declared, meaning Wilder retained his WBC heavyweight title.

Lewis, whose first fight with Evander Holyfield ended in a controversial draw in March 1999, empathised with Fury but nevertheless praised his fellow Briton for his showing at the Staples Center.

Speaking as a pundit for BT Sport Box Office, Lewis said: “They need to get some good judges, these judges were terrible.

“It happened to me and I knew it was going to happen to him. Everybody could see who won. Boxing definitely won and Tyson Fury won the fight to me.

“But that’s why you’ve got to go in and try and knock the other person out, especially if you’re not on home soil. You’ve got to make your fists be the judges.”

Lewis was also critical of Wilder’s performance and believes the American relies too much on his vaunted power, having secured 39 knockouts in his 40 professional fights before facing Fury.

Lewis added: “I think Deontay boxed terribly. He has a great right hand but he wasn’t able to put it to bed until the last couple of rounds.

“He’s always got that power. I think when he’s tired he’s more dangerous because he just flings those punches around and if one of them hit you round the head, you’re going to go down and it happened.

“To me Tyson Fury put himself in harm’s way and caused himself to get knocked down.”

The result caused consternation among those watching on.

Former two-weight world champion Andre Ward wrote on Twitter: “A draw, I understand (even tho I feel Fury won by a 2 or 3 rds).

“With 2 knockdowns & round here or there for Wilder and you have a draw in some people’s eyes. But 115-111 for Wilder is terrible, just terrible !! That’s what’s wrong with boxing. Fury’s stock went up !!!!!”

Trainer Dave Coldwell tweeted: “I gave Wilder two 10-8s and one other round. That’s it. Fury was brilliant tonight and the only man that looked like a winner.”

Other sportsmen paid tribute to the efforts of both fighters, with former England and Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand saluting Fury for how he has dealt with his personal demons.

He wrote on Twitter: “As a sportsman what @tyson_Fury has done tonight must be respected. What he has been through in his personal life, to put in a performance like that.”

Manny Pacquiao, who has won world titles in eight weight classes, added on the social networking site: “Respect to Fury for sticking to his game plan and to Wilder for closing the gap with two huge knockdowns! Can’t wait to see the rematch.”

Los Angeles Lakers basketball star LeBron James wrote: “Man that was the funniest/craziest fight I’ve ever seen in my life.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/len...094656019.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm wondering how people would be reacting if fury had got the decision after suffering two knockdowns?

Just rewatched highlights. First knockdown wasnt much really. Not hurt at all
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Might as well do the rematch. Would be nice to see Ortiz get a shot at Joshua actually.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson Fury sings American Pie at post-fight press conference after controversial draw with Deontay Wilder

The Gypsy King was in highs spirits after his bout with the WBC champion ended in a dramatic tie

Tyson Fury brilliantly belted out a rendition of American Pie at his post-fight press conference and got his trainer and the entire media to join in following his draw with Deontay Wilder.

Despite the disappointment of failing to capture the WBC heavyweight crown from the American, Fury was in high spirits as he sung the 1971 classic by Don McLean.

With Fury as conductor, the media joined in as did his coach Ben Davison, while veteran promoter Frank Warren appeared slightly more reluctant to sing along.

It is not the first time the Gypsy King has sung after a fight, famously serenading his wife Paris with a rendition of Aerosmith’s ‘I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing’ following his victory over Wladimir Kilitschko in 2015.

Having been knocked down twice in the fight at the Staples Center, including in the final round, Fury dominated much of the action, controlling the champion with his jab and clever movement.

Bizarrely, judge Alejandro Rochin scored the bout 115-111 in favour of Wilder, but Fury was not bitter, instead insisting he will enjoy Christmas and assess his options in 2019.

“I think I had holy hands upon me to lift me back to my feet [in the 12th round] – I don’t know what happened,” Fury said.

“It was a great fight. I am not going to complain or call him names.

“I am not the lineal champion for nothing. It was a great experience.

“A year ago today I weighed 400lbs. It is proof anyone can come back from anything.

“I am only a normal man. I was not fighting for myself. When I was down I had to get up for everyone around the world with mental health problems.

“I am not going to cry. I am going to enjoy Christmas and recalculate in January.

“We will see what our next move is.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...eontay-wilder/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After seeing that i realise AJ is on a different level... if a 15 stone HW can bash Fury up then AJ will put him to sleep inside a few rounds... Josh will bang Wilder through the ropes as far as im concerned.

AJ is levels above those two in every dpt..

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was almost certainly Wilders best shot at beating Fury. Wilder won’t change or improve, he can’t, he doesn’t have the capacity. He’s a tough powerful bloke with a dangerous right hand, but that’s it. Nothing wrong with that of course, it’s taken him far and in many rings he scores a 12th round come from behind KO last night.

Fury will improve I feel. He went through the motions in the televised spars but he’s essentially come back after a long layoff, shed a load of timber and beaten at worst the second best fighter in the division. With the extra time and focusing more on the technical elements He’ll add another layer of sharpness, strength and speed.

Massive props to both of them for a fantastic spectacle and props to the referee for not panicking when Fury was flattened. No one would have complained if that gets immediately waved off.

I think Fury takes and immediate rematch, Wilder not so much. The noises Wilder was making suggested to me he wants no part of it. It was an immediate reaction to be fair, when the dust has settled he may be just as keen.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Before the fight , I thought Wilder would beat Fury, just because I didn’t think Wilder could possibly be as bad as I think he is, and Fury could not be as good as HE thinks he is.
    Now I’ve seen the fight, Wilder is at least as bad as I thought and Fury is better than I have given him credit for. Fury won the fight easy IMO. Even when he was hurt in the 12th, he came back stronger than Wilder and fought the better round.
    Wilder is as poor a Boxer as I have ever seen win a World HW Title, he’s just a crude street brawler relying on one single punch. That’s fighting, but it’s as sure as hell not Boxing.
    The US Is the World leaders in Boxing, but the HW division must be a source of embarrassment to them if Wilder is the best HW they can produce.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Thread Information