Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was GGG's legacy tainted by DRAW + LOSS?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was GGG's legacy tainted by his last three fights?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I’d like to see the weight stuff stop being referenced in regards to GGG/Jacobs. Jacobs didn’t fight for the IBF belt so he didn’t have to do the 2nd weigh in. He made weight for the fight
    It was still an advantage for him. Had GGG missed that 2nd day weight in he would have been stripped (he eventually was anyway), wasn't the 1st weigh in moved forward as well, giving even more extra time between the fight? Or was that for another fight?
    I’m not sure about the weigh in time. If so that would be a matter worth noting IMO.

I don’t really care about advantages that are within the rules. He made weight according to the belts for which he fought. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see same day weigh ins and see people fight in their true weight class. But they can’t do that because they know people would still try to cut and rehydrate and it would be dangerous. If they changed the rules to same day weigh ins and pre fight weigh in with no more than 5% weight gain we’d see people fighting healthy at their true weight. But it would never happen because too many fights would not make the pre fight weigh.

So it is what it is and should be accepted as the legal playing field we have. Whining about advantages that are within the rules just seems weak. Some guys are better at cutting, some guys are faster, some are stronger, some hit harder, some have more skill. There will always be advantages. Legal advantages should not be a topic. Illegal advantages should be.

GGG has been a MW for 17 years. He’s not a small MW, he’s a MW. If others are big MWs, so what? Dude has never lost a fight as a professional and we talk about his disadvantages. Is this real life?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’d like to see the weight stuff stop being referenced in regards to GGG/Jacobs. Jacobs didn’t fight for the IBF belt so he didn’t have to do the 2nd weigh in. He made weight for the fight
    It was still an advantage for him. Had GGG missed that 2nd day weight in he would have been stripped (he eventually was anyway), wasn't the 1st weigh in moved forward as well, giving even more extra time between the fight? Or was that for another fight?
    I’m not sure about the weigh in time. If so that would be a matter worth noting IMO.

I don’t really care about advantages that are within the rules. He made weight according to the belts for which he fought. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see same day weigh ins and see people fight in their true weight class. But they can’t do that because they know people would still try to cut and rehydrate and it would be dangerous. If they changed the rules to same day weigh ins and pre fight weigh in with no more than 5% weight gain we’d see people fighting healthy at their true weight. But it would never happen because too many fights would not make the pre fight weigh.

So it is what it is and should be accepted as the legal playing field we have. Whining about advantages that are within the rules just seems weak. Some guys are better at cutting, some guys are faster, some are stronger, some hit harder, some have more skill. There will always be advantages. Legal advantages should not be a topic. Illegal advantages should be.

GGG has been a MW for 17 years. He’s not a small MW, he’s a MW. If others are big MWs, so what? Dude has never lost a fight as a professional and we talk about his disadvantages. Is this real life?
    I agree with you, that if a fighter makes the weight, then there should be no complaints. No one is whining here.

Thing is Jacobs didn't have to play by the same rules, GGG had to make the 2nd weigh in to keep his title.

Jacobs had that advantage. Is it GGGs fault for wanting to keep his title, and therefore having to abide by their rules?

The IBF have since removed the 2nd day weigh in for unification fights, due mainly to the GGG/Jacobs fight, sensing that this rule would unfairly handicap unified belt-holders like Golovkin.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Legacy tainting". Hmmm...... interesting.

IMO, legacies are tainted by: cheating, finding every way possible under the sun to stack the deck against your opponent BEFORE the fight, buying off judges, blatantly ducking other fighters at your level, being a total asshole in and out of the ring....... in short, shit like that. So no, GGG hasn't tainted his legacy.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with you, that if a fighter makes the weight, then there should be no complaints. No one is whining here.

Thing is Jacobs didn't have to play by the same rules, GGG had to make the 2nd weigh in to keep his title.

Jacobs had that advantage. Is it GGGs fault for wanting to keep his title, and therefore having to abide by their rules?

The IBF have since removed the 2nd day weigh in for unification fights, due mainly to the GGG/Jacobs fight, sensing that this rule would unfairly handicap unified belt-holders like Golovkin.
    Not saying you are whining just saying people do. It’s a nothing made into a something and people use it both ways. “It limits Golovkin” wait, those same people say Golovkin is small, if he is small it doesn’t affect him. And in actual real world measurements GGG is not going to be over the weight so it does not affect him at all. The only person it could have affected is Jacobs. And the 2nd way it is used is to suggest GGG is in an unfair fight, again, not the case. Jacobs made the weight according to the rules. This specific and temporary rule only seems to matter in this one fight, can you think of another fight people bring it up? And people bring it up to show Golovkin overcoming a cheat. He did not cheat. It’s propaganda when it is mentioned and it is mentioned often.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was Canelo's legacy tainted by beef?

@Ron Swanson is right it's propaganda

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not saying you are whining just saying people do. It’s a nothing made into a something and people use it both ways. “It limits Golovkin” wait, those same people say Golovkin is small, if he is small it doesn’t affect him. And in actual real world measurements GGG is not going to be over the weight so it does not affect him at all. The only person it could have affected is Jacobs. And the 2nd way it is used is to suggest GGG is in an unfair fight, again, not the case. Jacobs made the weight according to the rules. This specific and temporary rule only seems to matter in this one fight, can you think of another fight people bring it up? And people bring it up to show Golovkin overcoming a cheat. He did not cheat. It’s propaganda when it is mentioned and it is mentioned often.

Never heard much of an issue being made about Jacobs "cheating" or anything of the sort. This is where I'm reading most of it. Maybe it's because it can't be heard over the din over the other middleweight fighter who actually DOES cheat.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh by the way..... good job on the title change, @whoever.

I'd have to go back and change my original answer a few posts back from "no" to "yes" now.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both kinda. I think the commission moved the weigh in forward because there was another fight happening in NY on the same date and their weigh in had to be done also.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The reason rules like this were created was because of another fight like Gatti/Gamache. A fight in which both fighters weighed in according to the rules a catch weight of 141 pounds. Gamache weighed in over the weight at 145 on fight night and Gatti weighed in over the weight at 160. The difference of 15 pounds almost killed gamache (he survived affected with brain damage) and ended his boxing career. Jacobs was already 16 pounds heavier the second morning and 6 lbs over the ibf rehydration weigh in/ golovkin's weight... with still at least 12 hours to go before fight time. Some fighters are born with more pop, some with less. Within reasonable weight disparity, even a fighter with no pop probably has enough mass behind his punches to be at least a partial deterrent to their opponent shrugging off their punches, waltzing in and teeing off. Propaganda is not a term id use to describe possibly killing a person because its justified within the rules. Can't really call it "sport" then .

https://www.fightsaga.com/tidbits-94758/item/3566-arturo-gatti-nearly-killed-joey-gamache-in-the-ring-should-weigh-ins-happen-on-fight-day-video

They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As a fan, I prefer same-day weigh-ins. Have both fighters be exactly the same weight when they face off in the ring. (This would've made a shambles of the careers of both Canelo and JCC Junior, BTW). The argument against this is that "oh... but fighters will dehydrate dangerously to make weight and then they can't even take a piss." Ok, so then the IBF rules make the most sense. Weigh ins the day before the fight, THEN a 2nd weigh in, limiting the amount of weight gained for the day of the fight. Having one org with that rule and the others not following suit is nonsense. A medical authority should step in and force the orgs to standardize on that. That way we don't have this mess in unification fights because everybody will be playing by the same rules. This ain't rocket science, but it's boxing. So obviously it will be convoluted, twisted, complicated and distorted until absolutely nothing is done.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo's legacy has been Mexican beef for years. When I was in McAllen, all the grocery stores sold Mexican beef and, to promote it, they used Canelo. You would walk into the store and see 500 pictures of him and 50 life size cardboard cutouts.

The beef was good. Knowing what I know now, I would have tried high jumping or running really fast to see if it helped me at all.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post

The reason rules like this were created was because of another fight like Gatti/Gamache. A fight in which both fighters weighed in according to the rules a catch weight of 141 pounds. Gamache weighed in over the weight at 145 on fight night and Gatti weighed in over the weight at 160. The difference of 15 pounds almost killed gamache (he survived affected with brain damage) and ended his boxing career. Jacobs was already 16 pounds heavier the second morning and 6 lbs over the ibf rehydration weigh in/ golovkin's weight... with still at least 12 hours to go before fight time. Some fighters are born with more pop, some with less. Within reasonable weight disparity, even a fighter with no pop probably has enough mass behind his punches to be at least a partial deterrent to their opponent shrugging off their punches, waltzing in and teeing off. Propaganda is not a term id use to describe possibly killing a person because its justified within the rules. Can't really call it "sport" then .

https://www.fightsaga.com/tidbits-94758/item/3566-arturo-gatti-nearly-killed-joey-gamache-in-the-ring-should-weigh-ins-happen-on-fight-day-video

Great post. Jacobs had an unfair advantage, the IBF have changed the rule for the very reason that it could give an unfair advantage. GGGs team let him down again, they should have put something in the contract that the 2nd day weigh in must be observed.

It will be interesting to see how Jacobs handles his upcoming IBF fight, and if there is any noticeable affects of him having to make the 2nd day weigh in.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post

Great post. Jacobs had an unfair advantage, the IBF have changed the rule for the very reason that it could give an unfair advantage. GGGs team let him down again, they should have put something in the contract that the 2nd day weigh in must be observed.

It will be interesting to see how Jacobs handles his upcoming IBF fight, and if there is any noticeable affects of him having to make the 2nd day weigh in.
    It could give an unfair advantage but did not since GGG would not have weighed over the limit either way. But here we are nearly 2 years later talking about something that had absolutely no affect on anyone. People really don’t see an issue with this? Let’s talk about which fighter likes gummy bears, gummy bears had just as much affect 😉

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The weight must have made a difference the punches that Jacobs absorbed and recovered from the knock down with.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    The weight must have made a difference the punches that Jacobs absorbed and recovered from the knock down with.
    The legal weight made a difference? This is absurd. Are you all just trolling?

Your martyr got the victory FFS, stop crying for him

Thread Information