Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was GGG's legacy tainted by DRAW + LOSS?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Was GGG's legacy tainted by DRAW + LOSS?

Triple G was some kind of a nightmare in people's minds and I remember Shannon Briggs and 2016 saying that triple g hit as hard as a heavyweight. That he had some kind of freakish power. Now we all know that power does not disappear with age....

Triple G was knocking out everybody in sight. The punches look so easy the punches look so vicious The Leverage was so perfect it was freakish and frightening power

Then came the first fight with Canelo and the fight with Jacobs and then the second fight with Canelo.

that's 36 rounds without even a knock down let alone a knockout

and one could say that Canelo and Jacobs were the two best fighters that he ever faced. Not only that but Canelo is a smaller man and Jacob's was recovering from some kind of surgery

I think the Mystique of Triple G has been washed away by his last three fights. If Jacobs and Canelo can fight him to such close decisions what in God's name would a Marvin Hagler have done to him?

I think these last three fights have really exposed Triple G that although he is a very good fighter with occasional moments of greatness he can never be on the level of a Marvin Hagler. What do you all think?
    Last edited by brocktonblockbust; 09-23-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was GGG's legacy tainted by his last three fights?

I don't think they have tainted his legacy at all, the dude is getting old and fought the toughest opponent of his career and the vast majority of people feel he beat him regardless of the official result.

I also think you need to stop comparing fighters against the old time legends and look at their current competition and strength in divisions, a fighter can only beat what is in front of him, a fighter can't beat blokes who retired 40 years ago.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Couple things, he did knock Jacobs down.

And the last 4 fights with 3 solid opponents Jacobs/Canelo/Canelo have raised his legacy. That’s what happens when you fight good opposition, you raise your legacy.

And I think it’s fair of Brock to compare him to past greats when HBO just said “He’s a modern day Muhammad Ali”

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I forgot about that knockdown of Jacob's

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still can't remember the Jacobs knockdown

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I still can't remember the Jacobs knockdown
    Was early, he doubled up the right so it was more of a pushed punch than a concussive punch. He caught Jacobs with his feet squared up so he lost balance.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if you're a hagler fan, that's cool. if your objective is to tear everyone else down so they don't appear to come close, you might want to include scrutiny of all of the factors so that people can see how you've come to that conclusion. As Ron pointed out, Jacobs was knocked on his @ss-- (which you've acknowledged). Factors that also played into these victories such as GGG's age, Canelo's roid scandal, Jacobs IBF weight scandal are all things that seem conveniently forgotten by fans that are criticizing Golovkin.

I think the clenbuterol this is pretty fresh and has been discussed to death so I'll just include this one on the problems with detection (pay particular attention to the section labeled the problems with testing):
    https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/3/3...ed-failed-test

On Jacobs:
    https://www.ringtv.com/489972-victor...-fight-weight/
    https://www.boxingscene.com/jacobs-i...ferent--131379

Its already a general consensus from most fans, fighters and commentators that Golovkin was on the slide. This can be found all over you tube.

Now, i'm not saying that GGG couldn't have roided or played the scales too to even things out... he probably could have if he was so inclined on the roids... for the weight, his frame just wouldn't carry the weight the same weight a bigger framed middleweight like Jacob's can... or a chemically enhanced Canelo could. If his conscience is considered a detriment on the cheating thing, so be it. That's where I have a problem with people stating that canelo is the smaller guy. Canelo weighs in on fight night in the same neighborhood that Jacobs weighs in around 178-183. (He's done it with Chavez and others) -- Now people may say well its allowed in boxing as long as you make weight... maybe so, but it needs to be mentioned when talking about the playing field. The same way if GGG somehow magically could fight Hagler, he'd probably out weigh him on fight night even if only by a few pounds --or GGG's challenge to Floyd for 154 and does indicate an advantage. It deserves a mention.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

El Kabong Guest

I think GGG's reign is one of a lost era. GGG hell of a fighter, great heart, always in shape, always doing the work in the ring, a good solid no flashy flash kind of fighter.

#1 thing that hurts GGG is Dimitry Pirog. Pirog bless his heart fucked his back up and couldn't continue boxing at all, but what a fucking fighter that guy was and he completely starched a very young very green Danny Jacobs. Had GGG fought Pirog then obviously it would have been a mega fight in Russia with a Kazakh vs a Russian and what a fight it would have been, but that never happened so that sort of bright shining moment in winning the title I mean it happened, but it wasn't as big. Not having a rival, not having to overcome a giant foe hurt him.

#2 Everyone expected all GGG fights to be like the Macklin, Geale, Stevens, etc fights with GGG walking through punishment, shaking it off like nothing, and then using his fists to chisel away and stop the other fighter and without KO's, without hurting an opponent, it's not like GGG offers up a slick style or anything, it's meat and potatoes boxing just workmanlike blue collar and fans tire of that because there's little drama in it.

#3 Scandals people forgot about....Canelo and clenbuterol, Jacobs and weight, I mean it's hard enough being the champ but to beat guys who at the VERY least were "coloring outside the lines" as it were it's extraordinarily difficult.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo has proved to be a very good fighter at middleweight. I want to see him against other top middleweights to see if he is the real deal or just been fortunate.
    Last edited by Master; 09-22-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If anything I think the last few fights helped his legacy. His MW reign wasn’t filled with awesome opponents. He fought some solid guys, but Jacobs and Canelo are among the best. So he proved himself to be able to win against the best opposition.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No.

Abso-FUKKING-lutely.

Oops..... no. Just noticed the title changed halfway through. I'm soooo confused.
    Last edited by TitoFan; 09-23-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Title changed required a change in my response.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

J_Undisputed and El Kabong summed it up perfectly.

GGG's legacy has not been tainted.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’d like to see the weight stuff stop being referenced in regards to GGG/Jacobs. Jacobs didn’t fight for the IBF belt so he didn’t have to do the 2nd weigh in. He made weight for the fight

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I’d like to see the weight stuff stop being referenced in regards to GGG/Jacobs. Jacobs didn’t fight for the IBF belt so he didn’t have to do the 2nd weigh in. He made weight for the fight
    It was still an advantage for him. Had GGG missed that 2nd day weight in he would have been stripped (he eventually was anyway), wasn't the 1st weigh in moved forward as well, giving even more extra time between the fight? Or was that for another fight?
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information