Transcribed Joe Louis's comments on Marciano from the audio-extra's on the Ali-Marciano Superfight disk.

Murray Warner Computer Tournament

"Louis-Fitzsimmons post fight interviews"
(plugging the Marciano-Baer contest)

Comments begin at 1:03:15 (as found on the
Ali-Marciano Superfight dvd extras:
Audio Fights -- Marciano/Baer)

Interviewer: Joe, what about a fight between Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano?

Joe Louis: Well, I could say that very easily. Marciano beat me . . . beat me tough....

Interviewer (interupts): Oh, yeah, now that wasn't when you were at your best. I'm talking about when you were at your best, twenty-eight years old.

Joe Louis: Oh, I don't know. Well he still --- Marciano's the type of fighter I think is good enough and strong enough and takes a good enough punch to fight anybody, anytime. I don't think that no one, no time before, I mean either Dempsey or me, could say "I could beat Marciano". I think the fight could be . . . It's close, it'd have to be a close fight even if he don't get a knockout, because he's too strong, thing was he don't never get tired, and he could take a good punch, and he just . . . you just can't say that I could beat him. I'd like to say that I'd fight him, alright, but who would win, I wouldn't know; but I'd like the pay for the fight -- i think it would draw money, though. Yeah I would like the pay! (laughs) (inaudible) too strong no matter the age (inaudible)."

Interviewer: "Oh yeah, he's strong though. But just how ---- "

Louis: "I had -- kept hid throughout my career I didn't like to be crowded."

Interview: "Do you -- "

Louis: "He crowded me good."

***********""

AND NOW AN INTERESTING LITTLE TIDBIT FROM JOE FRAZIER:

"Joe Louis is the greatest heavyweight champion of all time. Rocky Marciano is second only to Louis, even though he beat Louis. Where do I rate Ali? Somewhere below me. I beat him, and if I could beat him, no doubt Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano certainly could have beaten him."

Joe Frazier