Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How to start a boxing match?

Does every boxer look for the same thing or follow the same procedure as soon as they start round 1? I am trying to make myself an organized fighter here mentally. I want to know how to scan my opponent and know what to start with as soon as i begin to square up with him? what is the procedure i know in some instances its always different, but what are some other ways? heres what i know so far:

how he positions his footwork
    how he moves
    how he reacts to feints
    his style
    his rhythm
    how he reacts to my jab

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How to start a boxing match?

Quote Originally Posted by guerrerb View Post
    Does every boxer look for the same thing or follow the same procedure as soon as they start round 1? I am trying to make myself an organized fighter here mentally. I want to know how to scan my opponent and know what to start with as soon as i begin to square up with him? what is the procedure i know in some instances its always different, but what are some other ways? heres what i know so far:

how he positions his footwork
    how he moves
    how he reacts to feints
    his style
    his rhythm
    how he reacts to my jab
    first thing you'll do is line up with him. theres different ways you can do that. for example, if you want to turn him, first thing you'll want to do is point your hip at him.

some good cues to use are pointing the stripe of your trunks at his chest or his back shoulder. that keeps you lined up, so that, if one were so inclined, you can do things like this.

it also does another good thing. you'll want your eyes down at his chest, and more specifically, at his back shoulder. when you see his back shoulder turning towards you, it means his hips are rotating, and that a right hand is starting to come at you. thats why you see guys turn that back shoulder when they want to steal a right hand.

because it makes it real tricky to read when a right hand is actually coming at you. anyway this leads to another thing you may have already picked up on. you must start your reactions to punches before they have come out, not when they have already come out. by the time a punch is in mid air, you are already too late. you want to start all things, all your slipping motions, all your counter punches, before the punch has come out. thats why you look at his chest. because the chest must begin moving, before the arms can begin moving.

now when you come out to the center of the ring, remember your cues and line up your body the way you want to be lined up to him.

with your eyes on his chest, throw a jab just short, so that he cant slip it or do anything with it.

on the end of your fully extended jab, press down on your front foot, and, in the same motion, swing over your back foot.

that lets you jab while circling him.

repeat this process until you start to get some nice reactions. now you're really boxing.

its too much to type out, so heres a link that might interest you about that subject.

http://boxrec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=221566
    Last edited by Yuzo; 09-27-2018 at 01:49 AM.

Thread Information