Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Big Baby vs. Fres Oquendo set for Nov 17

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/10...ght-on-nov-17/

For the vacant "regular" WBA heavyweight title, no less. HBO doesn't know what it's missing having gotten out of boxing.

I'm not a Baby Miller fan, although admittedly it may turn out he'll be up there in the upper echelon before too long. But man... what a useless fight...... for a useless title.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Big Baby vs. Fres Oquendo set for Nov 17

Why does it seem like Oquendo has been fighting forever and every time he fights it’s for some worthless title?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Why does it seem like Oquendo has been fighting forever and every time he fights it’s for some worthless title?
    ...because he has and that is his level.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fair play to Miller keeping busy. what baffles me is fighting so regularly , how does the fat bastard manage to put on so much weight?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing but sanctioned elder abuse. If this doesn't say useless half arse title warmers I don't know what does. Done with Miller he's a joke.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes Oquendo is old as dirt, but in fairness he has had a horrible run of luck. In his career in general, but especially over the last however many years he’s just been on the shelf waiting. Whatever you think of the trinket, for him it’s a payday to retire with. He got screwed against Chagaev Years ago, won a court decision to get another shot, and since then has had what, 3, 4 guys fail drug tests?
    This should definitely be a mismatch, but if it weren’t for Miller having just fought Adamek, it wouldn’t look as bad on him. It’s a way to gain a trinket and have a bargaining chip, and as was said at least stay busy. The fight itself is shit, but you can’t blame either guy that much for taking it, is I guess my point.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For some reason I always felt a little bit sorry for Fresno Kendo. Not that anybody was really ducking him to put it mildly haha but it always seems like he couldn't get the fights over the years. My opinion is he's probably too old to be fighting although, you know, come to think of it guys like Ray Mercer and Andrew golota and Michael Grant Etc. They all started to fight well into their 40s, I even so Larry Donald I think for Less spring now how old is that guy? I think a fighter is a fighter and they just can't get it out of them plus it's a good way to earn some more money right mister Fres?

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For some reason I always felt a little bit sorry for Fres oquendo. Not that anybody was really ducking him to put it mildly haha but it always seemed like he couldn't get the fights over the years. My opinion is he's probably too old to be fighting although, you know, come to think of it guys like Ray Mercer and Andrew golota and Michael Grant Etc. They all started to fight well into their 40s, I even so Larry Donald I think for Less spring now how old is that guy? I think a fighter is a fighter and they just can't get it out of them plus it's a good way to earn some more money right mister Fres?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got money on Oquendo

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post
    I got money on Oquendo
    I'll give you 10/1

Feel bad for Fres with all the doping he has had to put up with. At what point does he start having issues with being cleared medically? (That will never happen tho, look at some of these guys that get the all clear). But imagine if Oquendo gets seriously hurt.

I like that Miller is staying active, that's all I can really say about this fight.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds like Oquendo is out for this date. New opponent being sort for Miller.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Yes Oquendo is old as dirt, but in fairness he has had a horrible run of luck. In his career in general, but especially over the last however many years he’s just been on the shelf waiting. Whatever you think of the trinket, for him it’s a payday to retire with. He got screwed against Chagaev Years ago, won a court decision to get another shot, and since then has had what, 3, 4 guys fail drug tests?
    This should definitely be a mismatch, but if it weren’t for Miller having just fought Adamek, it wouldn’t look as bad on him. It’s a way to gain a trinket and have a bargaining chip, and as was said at least stay busy. The fight itself is shit, but you can’t blame either guy that much for taking it, is I guess my point.
    True fair enough, I don't begrudge Fres his day in court but this has become the black hole of court ordered title fights. And I don't fault Miller for trying to get paid. The environment in that fight was almost a freak show with the Grozny (?) President basically working the corner of Chagaev. To be selfish..I just want young American heavies to play the part though . Aim higher and refuse to take the path of least resistance especially in Millers case. No heavyweight title fight should ever be known as a 'stay busy' fight. Bin the tin trinket and face-defeat another top ranked hungry heavy in a true test, fans will remember and respect that the same.

El Kabong Guest

Fres has been around a loooong time. I thought he could legit accomplish something when he was outboxing Tua, but nope. He should have won vs Chris Byrd when they fought but nope.

Big Baby is just going to gobble old Fres up like the Blob...hopefully he fights someone decent after this. It's good to stay busy but damn son, get a good fight under your belt not just a fight vs anyone.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"the black hole"

Bang on with that one! 👏👏👏

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Nothing but sanctioned elder abuse. If this doesn't say useless half arse title warmers I don't know what does. Done with Miller he's a joke.
    How much of this is downto Miller and how much is his promoter and manager... Every time I see Miller talk he says he'll fight this guy or that guy... Hearn owns him just now so if he wants the fight v joshua he has to do what he's told...

Thread Information