Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Errol Spence vs Mikey Garcia

It's reportedly on for February 2019.

The fight will be at 147, and the exact date and venue TBA.

Both are very talented fighters, but Spence is a much bigger man and so will likely win. I'd sooner see Spence-Crawford, but this is an interesting match-up.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Errol Spence vs Mikey Garcia

If this goes through, major props to Mikey. His willingness to fight the best can't be questioned.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is an exceptional matchup if this happens. Credit Garcia for taking the big step up and challenge. Garcia will be the underdog for this fight but he is a brilliant boxer to watch.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If this goes ahead , I have massive admiration and respect for Garcia . If he wins, he's p4p #1 in my book. But I can't see anything other than a Spence Beat down unfortunately. He's just too big.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Garcia for me is more versatile , I give him a chance if he fights smart.
    Great matchup.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has to one negative Ned on it, guess that'll be me . Was really hoping these two would clean up shop in respected divisions. But chalk this one up to convenient in house 'big' match making. I think Mikey forfeits a good amount of his speed and mobility packing on 147, will end up trying to get respect and will take a bit of a beat down for it.

still wouldn't be shocked if this is just talk to make some other date for Spence.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm kind of with Spicoli, in that I feel both had better work to do in their respective divisions first. This is a quality match up tho between 2 elite guys.

Made me think about other lightweights that were successful in jumping straight to 147.

Mosley was the first to come to mind. Armstrong won the welterweight title, while weighing under the lightweight limit. Duran skipped 140. Broner also went straight from 135 to 147.

In saying that, what other successful weigh jumpers that have had success where the styles are similar to this fight?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stupid fight.

When is Spence vs Porter.?!

Why is Mikey not fighting Loma?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Stupid fight.

It is not a stupid fight it is an exceptional fight and Garcia is going for it. Credit to him.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can understand the feeling of wanting Garcia and Spence to clean out their own divisions first but.... to me this is a case of damned if you do... damned if you don't.

Haven't some of us here in the past raked GGG over the coals for not jumping up to 168 to meet Andre Ward there?

It smacks of double standard to criticize a fight that both guys are willing to make, when they've both shown the willingness to fight all comers.

Still..... it's a legit point. If Spence wipes the floor with Garcia, he'll get less than 100% credit, just because he's the larger guy. But if Garcia beats Spence, it's an automatic light-year leap into p4p stardom.

Meanwhile, I understand there's good fights for both in their respective divisions.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm kind of with Spicoli, in that I feel both had better work to do in their respective divisions first. This is a quality match up tho between 2 elite guys.

Made me think about other lightweights that were successful in jumping straight to 147.

Mosley was the first to come to mind. Armstrong won the welterweight title, while weighing under the lightweight limit. Duran skipped 140. Broner also went straight from 135 to 147.

In saying that, what other successful weigh jumpers that have had success where the styles are similar to this fight?
    Guerrero skipped 140 after a year out. Marquez packed it on for Mayweather who was arguably over 147 with the last minute weight turns and twists. With Mosley at least he had a couple of goes at 147 before Oscar.

Napoles going up for Monzon comes to mind pre 154 division, top talents similar reach and while I'm hoping more competitive Mikey going in 'cold' weight wise doesn't do him a lot of favors.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Another famous case of reaching for that ill-fated weight division was the great Alexis Arguello, who tested the super lightweight waters with Kevin Rooney before going up against Aaron Pryor.

Alexis remains an all-time favorite of mine.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I can understand the feeling of wanting Garcia and Spence to clean out their own divisions first but.... to me this is a case of damned if you do... damned if you don't.

Haven't some of us here in the past raked GGG over the coals for not jumping up to 168 to meet Andre Ward there?

It smacks of double standard to criticize a fight that both guys are willing to make, when they've both shown the willingness to fight all comers.

Still..... it's a legit point. If Spence wipes the floor with Garcia, he'll get less than 100% credit, just because he's the larger guy. But if Garcia beats Spence, it's an automatic light-year leap into p4p stardom.

Meanwhile, I understand there's good fights for both in their respective divisions.
    Like most I think Spence/Crawford and Garcia/Loma were the best options. But I wonder if they really were options. There was silence about the 2 superior opponents until this fight was nearly done. Could be Bob saying “they’re not going to cancel a PPV fight to begin negotiations with us, this is our chance to talk”. Perhaps Bob is being honest and he wants those fights. Bobs long long long history of lying just makes it hard to believe him.

Either way the winner walks away a PPV fighter making other fights easier to make and the loser has options.

It would be a crime if we don’t get Spence/Crawford and Garcia/Loma

Side note I would have been fine with GGG saying he didn’t want to go to 168. But he was willing for Steiglitz, he was willing for Froch, he was willing for Chavez Jr. That’s my problem with not being willing for Ward. On its own it’s fine, it’s the selectivity that’s trash.
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 10-27-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Stupid fight.

It is not a stupid fight it is an exceptional fight and Garcia is going for it. Credit to him.
    No it’s not.

Garcia should be making the Loma fight and Spence needs to clean up Porter, Crawford and Thurman..ASAP.

Spence is a big 147 fighter and Garcia is tiny..there are weight classes for a reason..Garcia needs to concentrate on Loma first then 147.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Stupid fight.

No it’s not.

Garcia should be making the Loma fight and Spence needs to clean up Porter, Crawford and Thurman..ASAP.

Spence is a big 147 fighter and Garcia is tiny..there are weight classes for a reason..Garcia needs to concentrate on Loma first then 147.
    If Garcia pulls this off he becomes a superstar like Shane/Floyd/Manny did with Oscar when they moved up.

Thread Information