Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  65
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 196 to 205 of 205

Thread: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #196
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,939
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    467
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

    I concede @Titfan. Brady is GOAT. Decent comeback, but wasn't good enough for Rodgers. The better team won.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  2. #197
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    23,460
    Mentioned
    502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1768
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    I concede @Titfan. Brady is GOAT. Decent comeback, but wasn't good enough for Rodgers. The better team won.

    Hey Slim. Although I was happy that Brady moved on to the Super Bowl, it was sad to see Rodgers so devastated at the end of the game. Damn... the guy seemed near tears. The media of course jumped all over his "veiled" comment about his future. They should give the guy a break. You lose a heartbreaker like that... after having such a stellar year... you shouldn't be held to every single word you say. Geez...

    Hopefully everything will work out fine and Aaron will be back in a Packers uniform next season.

    BTW, @SlimTrae ... I noticed your spelling gaffe there. But if there was any type of slipup on my name to be had... it's tough to beat "Titfan".

    Back to the SB though... of course I'm gonna be pulling for Brady & Co. to finish their improbably quest and beat the Chiefs. Tough mountain to climb, though.

  3. #198
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,939
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    467
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    I concede @Titfan. Brady is GOAT. Decent comeback, but wasn't good enough for Rodgers. The better team won.

    Hey Slim. Although I was happy that Brady moved on to the Super Bowl, it was sad to see Rodgers so devastated at the end of the game. Damn... the guy seemed near tears. The media of course jumped all over his "veiled" comment about his future. They should give the guy a break. You lose a heartbreaker like that... after having such a stellar year... you shouldn't be held to every single word you say. Geez...

    Hopefully everything will work out fine and Aaron will be back in a Packers uniform next season.

    BTW, @SlimTrae ... I noticed your spelling gaffe there. But if there was any type of slipup on my name to be had... it's tough to beat "Titfan".

    Back to the SB though... of course I'm gonna be pulling for Brady & Co. to finish their improbably quest and beat the Chiefs. Tough mountain to climb, though.

    Did I type that? Must've been in a Biden mood. Ooops, my bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  4. #199
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,939
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    467
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

    Meat & Potatoes man! Breasts for Tito!
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 02-03-2021 at 06:54 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  5. #200
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    23,460
    Mentioned
    502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1768
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)


  6. #201
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In my own little Universe
    Posts
    9,627
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2031
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

    Well, I watched the Super Bowl for the very first time.

    I have watched hardly any American Football before, and will freely admit a lot of the rules passed me by. Obviously, the tactical nuances that the commentators were discussion (and the knowledge that a regular watcher of the sport would have) went right over my head!

    I really enjoyed it.

    Many people seem to compare it with rugby but, as a lifelong rugby aficionado, that’s a lazy comparison, totally different sports as far as I could see. In fact, the only similarity Is the shape - but not the size - of the ball.

    As it is a game wholly made up of set piece plays, it really is a tactical and strategic battle, with loads and loads of analysis and planning of the plays. With nearly no ‘open’ play, it’s harder for individual creativity to shine through. That’s not to say that these guys aren’t creative players though, especially the quarterbacks.

    The complexity of the plays really impressed me. Really complicated intricate plays as far as I could tell. Some serious training drills and practice goes into those.

    The strength and explosive power of some of the players was impressive, their fitness less so. I was surprised to see how bad the kickers were, bearing in mind that it’s all they do. The clear thinking under pressure of the attacking teams was really good.

    The defensive guys were huge units, with a very specific and limited skill set. Nobody seemed to be able to tackle properly, and people seemed to simply launch themselves at each other like torpedos. As a newbie, I expected big hits, but there wasn’t any really. Rugby matches seem to have bigger hits, and that’s without helmets etc so no wonder there is a big issue in that game now (I understand American Football are years ahead of rugby in acknowledging brain trauma issues)

    That’s my random thoughts on one of the only NFL games I have ever watched on TV .... I know there are a lots of Americans on here, so forgive my ignorance and naivety on which is undoubtedly a complex and nuanced game.

    One thing that did strike me was how clean the game was. There didnt seem to be much sly punching, hits or ‘helping’ people to their feet etc. The players didn’t try to steal an extra yard when they went down. I didn’t get the impression that that the players were interested in hurting each other or anything. Very fairly contested and all that. Is that because there are so many cameras?

    I will definitely watch some more NFL, I think.


    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

  7. #202
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    23,460
    Mentioned
    502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1768
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

    Well good for you, @X !!!

    It's not everyone who gives a new sport a chance, not fully understanding the rules, but somehow making some sense out of it.

    Believe me, at first it seems overwhelming... but in a short while it all falls into place, and you pick up all those nuances as you called them... and the game opens up incredibly.

    Too bad the first game you watched was a relative blowout. Everyone expected a close game... and most recent Super Bowls in recent years have been "cliffhangers." In fact, I'd venture to say this was the widest margin of victory in a Super Bowl in quite some time.

    Everything you said in comparing it to rugby was right on point. People tend to do that, and that is a lazy comparison.

    There's probably more "downtime" in American football than there is in rugby, which might turn some people off. But the time in the huddles is necessary because of the complex nature of the play-calling that you mentioned.

    Great to know the NFL has a new fan.

  8. #203
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,939
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    467
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Well, I watched the Super Bowl for the very first time.

    I have watched hardly any American Football before, and will freely admit a lot of the rules passed me by. Obviously, the tactical nuances that the commentators were discussion (and the knowledge that a regular watcher of the sport would have) went right over my head!

    I really enjoyed it.

    Many people seem to compare it with rugby but, as a lifelong rugby aficionado, that’s a lazy comparison, totally different sports as far as I could see. In fact, the only similarity Is the shape - but not the size - of the ball.

    As it is a game wholly made up of set piece plays, it really is a tactical and strategic battle, with loads and loads of analysis and planning of the plays. With nearly no ‘open’ play, it’s harder for individual creativity to shine through. That’s not to say that these guys aren’t creative players though, especially the quarterbacks.

    The complexity of the plays really impressed me. Really complicated intricate plays as far as I could tell. Some serious training drills and practice goes into those.

    The strength and explosive power of some of the players was impressive, their fitness less so. I was surprised to see how bad the kickers were, bearing in mind that it’s all they do. The clear thinking under pressure of the attacking teams was really good.

    The defensive guys were huge units, with a very specific and limited skill set. Nobody seemed to be able to tackle properly, and people seemed to simply launch themselves at each other like torpedos. As a newbie, I expected big hits, but there wasn’t any really. Rugby matches seem to have bigger hits, and that’s without helmets etc so no wonder there is a big issue in that game now (I understand American Football are years ahead of rugby in acknowledging brain trauma issues)

    That’s my random thoughts on one of the only NFL games I have ever watched on TV .... I know there are a lots of Americans on here, so forgive my ignorance and naivety on which is undoubtedly a complex and nuanced game.

    One thing that did strike me was how clean the game was. There didnt seem to be much sly punching, hits or ‘helping’ people to their feet etc. The players didn’t try to steal an extra yard when they went down. I didn’t get the impression that that the players were interested in hurting each other or anything. Very fairly contested and all that. Is that because there are so many cameras?

    I will definitely watch some more NFL, I think.



    Same with me on Rugby. Don't really understand the rules, but boy I got to admire their stamina! American Football (pro) is so deep in rules, average people would continuously get called for penalties.
    Chiefs really got hit with more than they should, well add on about 200 more LOL! That's what a semi pro would do if they got to play in the NFL.

    What you saw in Brady is rare. Not supposed to be possible for his age (43) meaning his ability to call that snap and within 2 seconds- he sees EVERYONE ON THE FIELD- & PULL the trigger (throw a punch per boxing at 43 or throw the football per NFL) that response time he has...is special.

    For receivers to run specific routes - they will yell something goofy like 23! Blue, Stallion, hut hit HIKE...tells me those guys aren't as dumb as they have to memorize dozens of calls.


    10 championships in 20 years means he's gone to the big dance 1/2 his career and won 7! Damn, that is GOAT! Most players dream of making it to 3 or 4 in a 20 year career, think that over!

    Only bummer about the game X...was this wasn't supposed to be a shutout by 3rd quarter especially with a 43 yrd old dude running those young guns. This was overall somewhat boring.
    Exciting only in that a 43 yrd old...made it look so damn easy.

    With a team he was with for a whole single season, screwed over by covid to practice like indepth. He learned THEIR system.
    Damn Brady...GOAT!
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 02-14-2021 at 01:11 PM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  9. #204
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    59,561
    Mentioned
    1592 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2820
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

    They were selling the fight over here as the GOAT v Kid.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  10. #205
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,939
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    467
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

    Then I'm surprised they didnt call child services for that whoopin' he put on that kid.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Most complete fighters.
    By VG_Addict in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-20-2014, 04:57 AM
  2. Trifecta Complete
    By ArawakWarria in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 04:14 PM
  3. Complete Pac and Hat fight
    By CountryBoy in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2009, 05:18 AM
  4. What A Complete Douche
    By Trainer Monkey in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 04:05 PM
  5. Complete Bullshit
    By ElTerribleMorales in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 01:44 PM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing