Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  74
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Good thing nobody cares about the NFL here. Otherwise we'd have to be talking a few Houston Texans fans off the ledge.

Leading 24-0, and.................................... LOSE THE GAME 51-31 !!!!

Damn.... talk about a major implosion.

The other Sunday game was more competitive, and the Packers took care of the Seattle Seahawks.

So next week's conference Championships are SET!

It's gonna be the Green Bay Packers at the San Francisco 49ers for the NFC....... and the Tennessee Titans at the Kansas City Chiefs for the AFC.

I'd say the Titans are the dark horse here. They've knocked off the Patriots and the Ravens in back to back weekends. The AFC game should be a doozy.
    Bizzare, Houston were down like 19_0 v Buffalo the round before and came back to win now they go up and get smashed :S

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kansas city win, good for the state of Missouri after the treacherous rams left them...
    San Francisco are giving green Bay a bit of a beating too, not that close this week.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well it's all over and the Super Bowl's set. Chiefs vs 49ers.

Right off the top I'd favor the Chiefs to win..... but with my prediction record this year I probably just cursed the shit out of them.

Still.... tough to fathom the 49ers being able to stop Mahomes and that unstoppable offense.

Should be a good SB.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It should be a good superbowl with two good attacking teams, I have a feeling that Kansas are just going to squash sf... Although Kansas have allowed a fair few points against them... Interesting hiw little the sf qb passed in the last game too, he had like 6 completed passes total near the end of the 3rd quarter) I think)... But still they were up big, so that means they have some running game..... And of course Kansas just over came big oil derrick henry(that name would make more sense of they were still the Houston oilers but wotever :S) and that big git is pretty good. So I'm going for an easy Kansas win.

I'm looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am supporting the 49erz!
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Still.... tough to fathom the 49ers being able to stop Mahomes and that unstoppable offense.

Should be a good SB.
    HOW DARE YOU

He is not 'your' homes, he is MY homes.

Attached Images
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bump.

Frankly, I'm tired of talking about Trump and Biden. (and COVID)

So back to one of my favorite subjects... the NFL.

Few storylines going on this year.

Tom Brady with the Buccaneers and the Patriots without Tom Brady.

This is one of my favorites. Brady, as far as I'm concerned the QB GOAT, left the New England Patriots this year after 2 decades and went to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. So naturally the storyline began about whether the Patriots could succeed without Brady but with their HOF'er coach, Bill Belichick... and whether Brady could take the Bucs to the Super Bowl. In other words... was it Brady? Or was it Belichick that were mostly responsible for all those Super Bowl wins in New England during their great dynasty. I'm a Brady fan... so naturally I'm rooting for the Bucs to go as far as they can this year. Realistically they won't win the Super Bowl... but a deep run in the playoffs would be good enough. Belichick isn't doing too bad without Brady... but they still have a losing record... and will probably miss the playoffs. So that would sort of make it Brady 1, Belichick 0.

COVID effect on teams and games.

Probably should've put this one first, since it's the huge white elephant in the room. Teams IMO have done a pretty admirable job of fielding teams and playing a halfway decent schedule. I guess the NFL should be commended also. There have been teams missing starters due to being put on COVID injured reserve... but that just tests the resilience of the team to win with backups. My own personal favorite team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, got screwed on their schedule when their game against the Baltimore Ravens was moved several times (gameday) because of COVID. They ended up playing the game later in the following week... affecting their bye week, and forcing them to play about four games in quick succession. That was part of the reason they lost their undefeated record (they were 11-0 at one point). Still... I knew they would eventually lose... as they're not an undefeated caliber team. It was weird at first watching teams play in front of cardboard fans and piped in crowd noise. But one gets used to everything, I guess... and the games themselves have been great.

Good and bad surprises.

One surprise has been the NFC East being so bad. The Dallas Cowboys, the New York Giants, the Philadelphia Eagles, and the Washington Redskins (sorry... they'll always be the Redskins to me even though now they're formally the Washington Football Team... or the team without a name). They ALL have losing records, but one of them has to win the division... one of those quirks of playoff formats. Still... the Redskins and Giants have been showing signs of life. Traditionally bad teams that have surprised with how good they are this year include the Cleveland Browns and the Buffalo Bills, both with a good chance to make the playoffs. Gotta feel good for both Cleveland and Buffalo, not exactly hotbeds of championship teams in any sport.

Passing of the torch from some old ATG quarterbacks to some hot shot new ones.

Tom Brady is 43, which is astounding that he's still playing at a level to succeed in the NFL. Future HOF'er Drew Brees of the Saints will be 42 next month and is still lighting it up. (Well... not right now 'cause he sustained a few cracked ribs and a punctured lung a couple of games back). Aaron Rodgers (Packers) is 37. Ben Roethlisberger (Steelers) is 38. Philip Rivers (Colts) is 39. You figure there's gonna be a lot retirements pretty soon. Meanwhile, you've got some young studs making their own mark for greatness. Patrick Mahomes (Chiefs) is 25. Lamar Jackson (Ravens) is 23. Josh Allen (Bills) is 24. A complete changing of the guard.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow 6-8 record? Can't remember last time NE ranked so low. But darn those Jets 1-13?
    Browsing the rankins, I don't know who plays for the AFC East Bills @ 11-3. Will they best Steelers 11-3? How much does Big Ben have left?!

That be cool to see both Brady & Ben to retire & get inducted same year! I'm about an hour away from Hall of Fame-have yet to go there.

Is Kansas that great? 13-1? Or will they fold under the lights & pressure of the playoffs?

On the other side, whew that NFC East looks atrocious! Washington is atop the division at 6-8? LMAO! When I was a kid mid 1970s, NFC Central had that kind of record, they were referred to as the Black N Blue division where the winner made it to the playoffs with 9-7 or 8-8 records.

Got no clue on how good my Packers are, I just see a damn good record 11-3!
    N.O, Tampa & LA seem to be the ones vying for a SB.

So I will go
    Pittsburgh vs Kansas AFC title game
    New Orleans vs Green Bay NFC title game

SB: Steelers vs Saints 29-23
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, I will go upset of Bucs over Saints!!!
    Go Brady!!

But I think AFC takes the Lombardi.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love to see someone talking NFL.

Maybe if the NFL puts a team in the UK, there'd be a little more interest.

Anyway, I like your spirit, Slim.

Steelers over the Saints in the SB?? Damn... I'd LOVE to see that. Steelers are my favorite team... but they still look like an 11-3 first playoff round loss team to me right now. It's unfortunate... but they seem to have fallen off the cliff.

Your Packers are pretty damn good. As long as they still have Rodgers at QB... they always have a chance. Some are picking them to represent the NFC in the SB. I wouldn't bet against them.

Nothing personal against KC... but I'd love to have someone knock them off this year. There are two fan darlings this year (read "perennial losers") who are making a great account of themselves: the Browns and the Bills.

Either one of them making it to the AFC Championship Game would be a feat.

Tampa Bay I'd love to see make a deep run into the playoffs, because I'm a Tom Brady fan and that would totally cement his GOAT status.

Good to see a fellow NFL fan, especially at this time of year.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bloody ell the jets do the only thing that could maybe make their season worse and win two games in a row :S now they aren't getting the number one draft pick, the shaguars are leading that race(to the bottom:S).

If I understood the tv guys correctly then the NFL doesn't use the draft lottery like the NHL does. Many people don't like that here in the great warming north but I think it should be mandatory for these leagues... It just seems such a bad idea to definitively reward finishing last, although I am also sceptical if there is anyone who does actually try to lose, all these playing staff gits are playing or coaching for their careers but still.. I'm all for the draft lottery, it can also lead to hilarious situations like Buffalo tanking and then Edmonton getting macdavid...

Brady's great and all and good for him I certainly wouldn't mind him winning again but I'm hoping someone else wins it this time, Brady has had his time but if he does win, we'll all we can do is say hats off Brady... And maybe take off any hats we have..

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And what are the bills doing this year.... Somethings not right here :S... Bugger it I don't care if they are media darlings I hope they win it...

Although I've adopted Seattle and jaguars as my favourite teams now, not that I'm a real fan of either please note, they're just the two I watch each week now...

I think Seattle deserve another superbowl for their consistency over the years.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love to see someone talking NFL.

Maybe if the NFL puts a team in the UK, there'd be a little more interest.

Anyway, I like your spirit, Slim.

Steelers over the Saints in the SB?? Damn... I'd LOVE to see that. Steelers are my favorite team... but they still look like an 11-3 first playoff round loss team to me right now. It's unfortunate... but they seem to have fallen off the cliff.

Your Packers are pretty damn good. As long as they still have Rodgers at QB... they always have a chance. Some are picking them to represent the NFC in the SB. I wouldn't bet against them.

Nothing personal against KC... but I'd love to have someone knock them off this year. There are two fan darlings this year (read "perennial losers") who are making a great account of themselves: the Browns and the Bills.

Either one of them making it to the AFC Championship Game would be a feat.

Tampa Bay I'd love to see make a deep run into the playoffs, because I'm a Tom Brady fan and that would totally cement his GOAT status.

Good to see a fellow NFL fan, especially at this time of year.
    NFL was my 1st sport as a kid- it got overshadowed by NBA. At the time Milwaukee Bucks were always a team in contention late 70s. & the NFL Packers sucked big time. Dan Makowski or something...So my knowledge of Steelers is ancient man!! I still replay the Steelers Cowboys 35-31 SB in my head, days of Bradshaw & Staubach.

To this day Lyn Swan is still my favorite WR. IMO he was the one that started the catch-the ball, with a toe, slightly inbound- play! Franco Harris was the 1st back I remember hearing on a regular basis. Although it would be Toney Dorsett & then Emmit Smith I considered my favorite runners.

I was old enough to remember how their defense became known as the Steele Curtain Joe Green L.C. Greenwood...I 4got the other names LOL! I think I faded from NFL around the time Curtain & Bradshaw best days were gone 1981ish. I'll watch a few games but havent watched an entire season in decades. Boxing, music & Vagina became a bit more important from age 17-40s

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Bloody ell the jets do the only thing that could maybe make their season worse and win two games in a row :S now they aren't getting the number one draft pick, the shaguars are leading that race(to the bottom:S).

If I understood the tv guys correctly then the NFL doesn't use the draft lottery like the NHL does. Many people don't like that here in the great warming north but I think it should be mandatory for these leagues... It just seems such a bad idea to definitively reward finishing last, although I am also sceptical if there is anyone who does actually try to lose, all these playing staff gits are playing or coaching for their careers but still.. I'm all for the draft lottery, it can also lead to hilarious situations like Buffalo tanking and then Edmonton getting macdavid...

Brady's great and all and good for him I certainly wouldn't mind him winning again but I'm hoping someone else wins it this time, Brady has had his time but if he does win, we'll all we can do is say hats off Brady... And maybe take off any hats we have..
    I've seen a few games where it seemed like they were trying to lose that last game or 2 (by taking players out) I'm like why? If they get hurt on a play, it won't matter, they'll suck with or without an injury.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post

You know... that is not such a bad idea. One thing that totally rubs me the wrong way is how the TV commentators harp on the Jets trying to win a game. Really?? So now making sure you finish last is part of the game? Yeah... I don't know what the right answer is. Maybe a draft lottery wouldn't be such a bad idea after all. Only problem with that is imagine if the Chiefs were to get the 1st pick of the draft... LOL. It would be like what you said about Buffalo and Edmonton.

In fact, I admire the Jets for trying to win. How bad would it look for the game if they didn't... all because of a draft pick? Usually this isn't such a big deal, because winless teams are not all that common in the NFL. But geez... even the commentators are cheering for the Jets to throw games. Something definitely wrong with that.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well the NHL draft lottery is pretty good, if you qualify for the play offs you're not eligible for the lottery, and the chances of teams increases the closer to the bottom they are. The NHL does like the first ten picks or something as a lottery so the Canucks lost a place a couple of years in a row, there's a few other rules in there too, either way I like it better than just the straight last place finishers get the pick automatically.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NHL_Entry_Draft

Thread Information