Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  74
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Lonely NFL Thread (complete with tumbleweeds)

I concede @Titfan. Brady is GOAT. Decent comeback, but wasn't good enough for Rodgers. The better team won.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    I concede @Titfan. Brady is GOAT. Decent comeback, but wasn't good enough for Rodgers. The better team won.

Hey Slim. Although I was happy that Brady moved on to the Super Bowl, it was sad to see Rodgers so devastated at the end of the game. Damn... the guy seemed near tears. The media of course jumped all over his "veiled" comment about his future. They should give the guy a break. You lose a heartbreaker like that... after having such a stellar year... you shouldn't be held to every single word you say. Geez...

Hopefully everything will work out fine and Aaron will be back in a Packers uniform next season.

BTW, @SlimTrae ... I noticed your spelling gaffe there. But if there was any type of slipup on my name to be had... it's tough to beat "Titfan".

Back to the SB though... of course I'm gonna be pulling for Brady & Co. to finish their improbably quest and beat the Chiefs. Tough mountain to climb, though.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Hey Slim. Although I was happy that Brady moved on to the Super Bowl, it was sad to see Rodgers so devastated at the end of the game. Damn... the guy seemed near tears. The media of course jumped all over his "veiled" comment about his future. They should give the guy a break. You lose a heartbreaker like that... after having such a stellar year... you shouldn't be held to every single word you say. Geez...

Hopefully everything will work out fine and Aaron will be back in a Packers uniform next season.

BTW, @SlimTrae ... I noticed your spelling gaffe there. But if there was any type of slipup on my name to be had... it's tough to beat "Titfan".

Back to the SB though... of course I'm gonna be pulling for Brady & Co. to finish their improbably quest and beat the Chiefs. Tough mountain to climb, though.

Did I type that? Must've been in a Biden mood. Ooops, my bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meat & Potatoes man! Breasts for Tito!
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 02-03-2021 at 06:54 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, I watched the Super Bowl for the very first time.

I have watched hardly any American Football before, and will freely admit a lot of the rules passed me by. Obviously, the tactical nuances that the commentators were discussion (and the knowledge that a regular watcher of the sport would have) went right over my head!

I really enjoyed it.

Many people seem to compare it with rugby but, as a lifelong rugby aficionado, that’s a lazy comparison, totally different sports as far as I could see. In fact, the only similarity Is the shape - but not the size - of the ball.

As it is a game wholly made up of set piece plays, it really is a tactical and strategic battle, with loads and loads of analysis and planning of the plays. With nearly no ‘open’ play, it’s harder for individual creativity to shine through. That’s not to say that these guys aren’t creative players though, especially the quarterbacks.

The complexity of the plays really impressed me. Really complicated intricate plays as far as I could tell. Some serious training drills and practice goes into those.

The strength and explosive power of some of the players was impressive, their fitness less so. I was surprised to see how bad the kickers were, bearing in mind that it’s all they do. The clear thinking under pressure of the attacking teams was really good.

The defensive guys were huge units, with a very specific and limited skill set. Nobody seemed to be able to tackle properly, and people seemed to simply launch themselves at each other like torpedos. As a newbie, I expected big hits, but there wasn’t any really. Rugby matches seem to have bigger hits, and that’s without helmets etc so no wonder there is a big issue in that game now (I understand American Football are years ahead of rugby in acknowledging brain trauma issues)

That’s my random thoughts on one of the only NFL games I have ever watched on TV .... I know there are a lots of Americans on here, so forgive my ignorance and naivety on which is undoubtedly a complex and nuanced game.

One thing that did strike me was how clean the game was. There didnt seem to be much sly punching, hits or ‘helping’ people to their feet etc. The players didn’t try to steal an extra yard when they went down. I didn’t get the impression that that the players were interested in hurting each other or anything. Very fairly contested and all that. Is that because there are so many cameras?

I will definitely watch some more NFL, I think.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well good for you, @X !!!

It's not everyone who gives a new sport a chance, not fully understanding the rules, but somehow making some sense out of it.

Believe me, at first it seems overwhelming... but in a short while it all falls into place, and you pick up all those nuances as you called them... and the game opens up incredibly.

Too bad the first game you watched was a relative blowout. Everyone expected a close game... and most recent Super Bowls in recent years have been "cliffhangers." In fact, I'd venture to say this was the widest margin of victory in a Super Bowl in quite some time.

Everything you said in comparing it to rugby was right on point. People tend to do that, and that is a lazy comparison.

There's probably more "downtime" in American football than there is in rugby, which might turn some people off. But the time in the huddles is necessary because of the complex nature of the play-calling that you mentioned.

Great to know the NFL has a new fan.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Well, I watched the Super Bowl for the very first time.

I have watched hardly any American Football before, and will freely admit a lot of the rules passed me by. Obviously, the tactical nuances that the commentators were discussion (and the knowledge that a regular watcher of the sport would have) went right over my head!

I really enjoyed it.

Many people seem to compare it with rugby but, as a lifelong rugby aficionado, that’s a lazy comparison, totally different sports as far as I could see. In fact, the only similarity Is the shape - but not the size - of the ball.

As it is a game wholly made up of set piece plays, it really is a tactical and strategic battle, with loads and loads of analysis and planning of the plays. With nearly no ‘open’ play, it’s harder for individual creativity to shine through. That’s not to say that these guys aren’t creative players though, especially the quarterbacks.

The complexity of the plays really impressed me. Really complicated intricate plays as far as I could tell. Some serious training drills and practice goes into those.

The strength and explosive power of some of the players was impressive, their fitness less so. I was surprised to see how bad the kickers were, bearing in mind that it’s all they do. The clear thinking under pressure of the attacking teams was really good.

The defensive guys were huge units, with a very specific and limited skill set. Nobody seemed to be able to tackle properly, and people seemed to simply launch themselves at each other like torpedos. As a newbie, I expected big hits, but there wasn’t any really. Rugby matches seem to have bigger hits, and that’s without helmets etc so no wonder there is a big issue in that game now (I understand American Football are years ahead of rugby in acknowledging brain trauma issues)

That’s my random thoughts on one of the only NFL games I have ever watched on TV .... I know there are a lots of Americans on here, so forgive my ignorance and naivety on which is undoubtedly a complex and nuanced game.

One thing that did strike me was how clean the game was. There didnt seem to be much sly punching, hits or ‘helping’ people to their feet etc. The players didn’t try to steal an extra yard when they went down. I didn’t get the impression that that the players were interested in hurting each other or anything. Very fairly contested and all that. Is that because there are so many cameras?

I will definitely watch some more NFL, I think.

Same with me on Rugby. Don't really understand the rules, but boy I got to admire their stamina! American Football (pro) is so deep in rules, average people would continuously get called for penalties.
    Chiefs really got hit with more than they should, well add on about 200 more LOL! That's what a semi pro would do if they got to play in the NFL.

What you saw in Brady is rare. Not supposed to be possible for his age (43) meaning his ability to call that snap and within 2 seconds- he sees EVERYONE ON THE FIELD- & PULL the trigger (throw a punch per boxing at 43 or throw the football per NFL) that response time he has...is special.

For receivers to run specific routes - they will yell something goofy like 23! Blue, Stallion, hut hit HIKE...tells me those guys aren't as dumb as they have to memorize dozens of calls.

10 championships in 20 years means he's gone to the big dance 1/2 his career and won 7! Damn, that is GOAT! Most players dream of making it to 3 or 4 in a 20 year career, think that over!

Only bummer about the game X...was this wasn't supposed to be a shutout by 3rd quarter especially with a 43 yrd old dude running those young guns. This was overall somewhat boring.
    Exciting only in that a 43 yrd old...made it look so damn easy.

With a team he was with for a whole single season, screwed over by covid to practice like indepth. He learned THEIR system.
    Damn Brady...GOAT!
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 02-14-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They were selling the fight over here as the GOAT v Kid.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Then I'm surprised they didnt call child services for that whoopin' he put on that kid.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Panthers & Rams @3-0

Jets,Giants, Colts, Lion s @0-3.

Packers 2-1
    Brady's Bucs 2-1

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Panthers & Rams @3-0

Jets,Giants, Colts, Lion s @0-3.

Packers 2-1
    Brady's Bucs 2-1

Panthers are a mirage, I think. No way they keep that up very long. The Rams seem to be the real deal. Super Bowl contenders, some would say.

Gotta feel sorry for NY football fans at this point... watching the Jets and Giants flounder in football's basement, while the upstate Buffalo Bills are making serious noise in the AFC. My... how the applecart has been tipped over.

Packers seem to have righted the ship, although still shaking my head at how one Aaron Rodgers could've played so miserable in their season opening trouncing at the hands of the Saints.

Bucs? I'll be rooting for them, since my favorite team... the Steelers... seem to be headed nowhere really fast. Big Ben should've been replaced years ago... and it's frustrating to me to see a bunch of other teams taking advantage of the QB draft sweepstakes, while the Steelers refuse to address their QB issues.

Meanwhile... TB12 is a marvel and GOAT of GOATs at age 44.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tom "Clutch-maker" Brady delivered down the stretch again!

Packers may have packed the bags for Big Ben and the Steele. They are now 3-1.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Brady was all that "Brady-esque" against the Pats. Then again... you can't blame him. Nerves! He did pull it out, though.

Speaking of Pack-Steelers... what in the WORLD is Pittsburgh waiting for to pull the plug on Big Ben? As a Steelers fan, it's not like I don't appreciate all he's done for the Steelers over the years. But damn... he ain't no Brady. He's done. IMO, the Steelers missed out on the QB draft frenzy that other teams took advantage of. The Pats, the Bears, the Jags, 49ers and Jets ALL took potential NFL star QBs while the Steelers are twiddling their thumbs and relying on.... Rudolph??!??

Gimme a break...

GB seems to be fully back on track.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I don't think Brady was all that "Brady-esque" against the Pats. Then again... you can't blame him. Nerves! He did pull it out, though.

Speaking of Pack-Steelers... what in the WORLD is Pittsburgh waiting for to pull the plug on Big Ben? As a Steelers fan, it's not like I don't appreciate all he's done for the Steelers over the years. But damn... he ain't no Brady. He's done. IMO, the Steelers missed out on the QB draft frenzy that other teams took advantage of. The Pats, the Bears, the Jags, 49ers and Jets ALL took potential NFL star QBs while the Steelers are twiddling their thumbs and relying on.... Rudolph??!??

Gimme a break...

GB seems to be fully back on track.
    I thought Ben let it go last year- oh well, great boxers/qbs/athletes don't known when to let it go!!!

Brady-
    I saw the lowlights of the game and that is what made it special to me! It's like--dudes! you can't fuck up if Brady is doin likewise. Don't give him a chance at a final drive!!!!
    Even though it was the kicker that gave the victory it was that final drive. I saw Pats games as kindof a Foreman-Moorer deal....almost...almost damn!wtf last drive....
    that to me is very Bradyesque!

Thread Information