Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Winky v Calzaghe

The Soliman fight is yet another example of people getting ga-ga over someone throwing a shatload of punches that do & mean absolutely nothing.

NOTHING!

I would love to see Wright Calzaghe...it'd be a great fight...Winky could also handle his punches IWO.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

AC-Cobra Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    The Soliman fight is yet another example of people getting ga-ga over someone throwing a shatload of punches that do & mean absolutely nothing.

NOTHING!

I would love to see Wright Calzaghe...it'd be a great fight...Winky could also handle his punches IWO.
    I agree if what you mean is Winky could handle one punch of Joe's. But if Joe unleashes something like a 1000 shots without looking tired again, granted less are gonna land cleanly against Winky but thats gonna wear him down.

A simpler way to look at this......

If this goes to the judges, Joe's workrate is likely to win a lot of rounds against Winky's non existent offence.

And if this somehow stays off the judges hands, well its not exactly gonna be Winky knocking Joe out is it, he was hardly a knockout artest at light middle let alone super middle

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AC-Cobra
    Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

NOTHING!

I agree if what you mean is Winky could handle one punch of Joe's. But if Joe unleashes something like a 1000 shots without looking tired again, granted less are gonna land cleanly against Winky but thats gonna wear him down.

A simpler way to look at this......

If this goes to the judges, Joe's workrate is likely to win a lot of rounds against Winky's non existent offence.

And if this somehow stays off the judges hands, well its not exactly gonna be Winky knocking Joe out is it, he was hardly a knockout artest at light middle let alone super middle

Exactly . You summed it up here . I like Winky and reckon he is p4p number 2 infact but its true to say he cantoutwork Joe and win on points and he cant knock him out either so I cant see how he wins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

as much as i dont like Calzaghe i think he would win against wright even though wright is one of my favorites. i would love to see winky win but i'd be disappointed because lacy lost against that BUM.(Which was a big FLUKE anyway) but none the less i dont think wright can handle himself at supper middle espescially against someone that is as skilled as Joe(even though i hate to admit it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Soliman fight? How can you compare. Soliman is tougher then Calzaghe and has a better chin. Calzaghe has trouble with anyone looking to counter his shots and he got off as well against Lacy because Lacy wasn't going for any counter. Wink would be stuffing the jab in his face all night. You bring up Soliman and Winky? when Robin Reid isn't even as defensively sound and he gave Calzaghe problems, not even the Egyptian guy Joe fought is as good defensively as Calzaghe and he dropped Joe.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Calzaghe could turn Winky cause of Winky's stance and relative flatfootedness(is that a word ) as of late, and beat him to the punch. Wouldn't be nearly as easy as a Lacy fight but I'd probably favor him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Soliman fight? How can you compare. Soliman is tougher then Calzaghe and has a better chin. Calzaghe has trouble with anyone looking to counter his shots and he got off as well against Lacy because Lacy wasn't going for any counter. Wink would be stuffing the jab in his face all night. You bring up Soliman and Winky? when Robin Reid isn't even as defensively sound and he gave Calzaghe problems, not even the Egyptian guy Joe fought is as good defensively as Calzaghe and he dropped Joe.
    Starr where did you get that Soliman has a better chin than Calzaghe, his chin is pretty solid but he is not even in Calzaghe's league... and if your basing that on the Wright fight, remember Wright can't punch. If I ain't mistaken Calzaghe has never been knocked down and the egyptain guy was Omar Shieka and he never had Calzaghe down, and Soliman has fought no where near the quality opponents that Calzaghe has.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by atomic bull
    Starr where did you get that Soliman has a better chin than Calzaghe, his chin is pretty solid but he is not even in Calzaghe's league... and if your basing that on the Wright fight, remember Wright can't punch. If I ain't mistaken Calzaghe has never been knocked down and the egyptain guy was Omar Shieka and he never had Calzaghe down, and Soliman has fought no where near the quality opponents that Calzaghe has.
    I picked Calzaghe but he's been knocked down twice, once by Byron Mitchell, and once by the Egyptian guy, Kabari Salem, and he was hurt both times, but Winky is not a puncher, wasn't even a puncher at 154, I think Cal could turn him and beat him to the punch pretty effectively

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

soliman is tougher than calzaghe? i just dont buy that

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

oh, and back to the main thread

calzaghe beats wright. the soliman fight is a poor comparison because though soliman throws a lot of punches, they are not all that powerful nor effective. calzaghe doesnt always throw 1000+ punches per fight and regardless, his punches pack a heck more clout. just ask lacy, he took a bit of a pounding as i recall. calzaghe is too sharp and always on the move and would basically just ratchet up points against wright. i could even see calzaghe tko'ing winky along the way. super middleweight is too far for winky. he can barely hurt the cream at middleweight...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Calzaghe could throw 1000 punches against Wright who has a high enough work rate and jab that can really trouble Joe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Solimans abit over rated. He struggled with Neville Brown and was knackered after 5 rounds . His boxing technique wasnt great and last time out he couldnt beat a guy with the flu so id put him nowhere near Calzaghes league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sam Soliman is a good honest fighter, but he is a really light puncher. If Calzaghe landed some of the shots Sam landed they would have a lot more effect. Wright hurt Sam a number of times too so his chin isn't necessarily as good as Calzaghe's. I don't know where anyone would get the ability to judge Calzaghe and Sam's relative toughness.

I suspect Calzaghe would beat Wright with his size and workrate, but we'll know more when we see how he deals with a big middleweight like Taylor. Seems like people are more hostile to British fighters than anyone else. I remember people desperately trying to find ways to undermine Lennox Lewis for years 'cause they couldn't handle a British heavyweight champ. I hope Joe isn't in for the same treatment.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it would be a really good and quite close techical boxing match. I would slightly favour Calzaghe (ie I think he would win 7 out of 10 against Winky, but who is to say that the one time they fight might be one of the 3 Joe loses)

It will not happen as it is a hard sell to the networks and the public, one for us purists rather than the man in the street.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information