User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Happy Thanksgiving

Hey all, it is the week of the quintessential and most American of holidays Thanksgiving. Where some cultures have harvest festivals we Americans celebrate Thanksgiving. Sure these days it can be seen as an over indulgent glutenous celebration of we who have too much......but you guys know me and I ain't about that life, I'm about the real deal, I'm a traditionalist so I hell yeah I'm going to eat well this Thursday but the MAIN course isn't the turkey, it isn't the stuffing, it's THANKS. Perhaps this is why Americans celebrate with such culinary enthusiasm, maybe we need to take a step back from the kitchen (just a tiny one mind you) and instead of putting 10 billion percent of our effort into making the perfect feast we need to take a pause for the cause and be thankful for those we share it with because without those people sharing that table beside you, you're nothing and your food is never going to get complimented or playfully criticized and that would just be a shame.

Americans, Englishmen, Irishmen, Scotsmen, Welshmen, Canadians, Aussies, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, posters from all around, I may argue with you on any given subject, but I thank you for your presence here, and for your posting on this forum.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving hope you have a good one mate.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always forget we Canadians do this so much earlier. I know yours actual signifies something and all, but I quite like ours being earlier because local produce is toast by now, and i can still get to some farmers markets then anyways. For the last few years I’ve just done roast chickens as the main, I think turkey is overrated and to much hassle to cook. Guess if I was cooking for more than a few people it’d make sense though. I might also be more thankful hope yours and everyone’s is good. Scratch made pumpkin pie is some next level shit if you haven’t attempted it, it’s easy, I don’t know how the store bought ones can even be so inferior.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well said Lyle. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours also. It's only Monday and I'm already hungry for turkey.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great sentiment Lyle and needed eye opener. Sort of snuck up on us this year but might be a tough one as it's the first in my lifetime that with family there will be no parents 'home' or traditional family homestead at least. Other than mine and they sure as shat won't travel down to celebrate and can't expect them too with all that is going on. But..we carry on! And I am thankful there were no funerals to attend and it could be far far worse and is for so many this time of year. Tent cities in California and Panhandle of Florida with whole families standing in line for meals, and that's not one day of the week it's the new normal for now. The hearts of family and friends are the home after all, walls brick and mortar may have been permanence and sanctuary but a man or woman surrounded by family and friends..and dogs..has everything they truly need. Make no mistake though I'll be scarfing deviled eggs and dark turkey and stuffing like a tubby shat in all honestly. That ain't changing . I wish all of you the very best, love the one you're with and never take them for granted.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 11-20-2018 at 10:40 PM.

El Kabong Guest

Life hurls many changes our way Spicoli, we celebrate with an ever changing cast of characters and an invariable set of emotions. It is important, just as important as stuffing/dressing, to take the time and acknowledge those around you, be grateful for their presence and impact on your life because we are not guaranteed another shot at it.

It's nice to showcase your culinary skills, but it's crucial to share the compliments of the season with kith and kin and sure you do similar things at Christmas, but again this is what makes Thanksgiving so American.....not everyone celebrates Christmas because not everyone is Christian, everyone SHOULD take the time to celebrate Thanksgiving in America, it's not a religious holiday which I don't think many people realize.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Life hurls many changes our way Spicoli, we celebrate with an ever changing cast of characters and an invariable set of emotions. It is important, just as important as stuffing/dressing, to take the time and acknowledge those around you, be grateful for their presence and impact on your life because we are not guaranteed another shot at it.

It's nice to showcase your culinary skills, but it's crucial to share the compliments of the season with kith and kin and sure you do similar things at Christmas, but again this is what makes Thanksgiving so American.....not everyone celebrates Christmas because not everyone is Christian, everyone SHOULD take the time to celebrate Thanksgiving in America, it's not a religious holiday which I don't think many people realize.
    It certainly does that. The unpredictability of life continually lands at our feet, trials and tribulations and such. I still believe that regardless of adversity there are just as many windows opened as there are slammed shut in many of those instances, that revolving cast of characters at the forefront. We learn the worth the older we get where as when we're young it feels like we go through close bonds, let go of friendships like we're changing our socks.

Great thing that always sticks with me about Christmas and Thanksgiving is with Mom and Pop it was always massive and center focus. But not once, not a single time did they make it about the religious overtones, church or history books. It was neither pro con against or for... It was simply and completely a time for family and parents, across the board, wanting a better fuller experience for their kids than they may have had themselves. I think it goes without saying that parents always want their kids to have it better in life.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Good to revisit the people behind the words.

I agree. Thanksgiving will be what we make it. I tend to be a workaholic so this time of year winds up being the only time of year I can just say screw it, drop everything and enjoy sitting around and doing nothing without feeling guilty for it and enjoy the little things.

Our oven's /heat sensor/electronic board died over the weekend. So i'm forced to out source a turkey dinner this year from a local place. Really, i feel grateful to be able to find a place that does that honestly in a pinch. I thought we'd be staring down barrel of Thanksgiving PBJ's or pizza. .. but there are people with less than even that who can thankful for what they have so that kind of put an end to my self pity. There's only 3 of us so we're going to wind up with a lot of extra food (unfortunately its a one size dinner for 12-14 people)... So i'll be spending Friday morning reheating and separating the left overs into foil packets. We have a few homeless guys by the off ramp near us and a food pantry that has some people in line on Saturday mornings so i know the money wont go to waste. 1 cloud, 2 silver linings is a win in my book so i'll take it.

My thoughts go out to you all and everyone celebrating to find some inner peace and solace for whatever life is throwing at you and yours.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My only connection with Thanksgiving is this Doris Day film which I saw a million times when an innocent, healthy contender who could have been somebody (my mum loved Doris day films). I never understood why they were eating Christmas dinner in November and not sure my poor mum ever knew herself what Thanksgiving was ().

Your grub looks delicious.

Hope you have a great time with your families.

Last edited by Fenster; 11-28-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In Japan, we celebrate Labor Thanksgiving Day every 11月23日. Congratulations everyone. Thank you very much

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bump . Hey we're late but needs to be said especially this year! Hope all of youz had a great Thanksgiving. This one def felt odd but you make the most. Started to go to work this morning and said..ya know what I think I want a four day weekend for once. Dark meat hot gravy 'open' sammichs, stuffing, deviled eggs and pumpkin pie w/cool whip. All a man needs for the next few meals . Cheers

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Bump . Hey we're late but needs to be said especially this year! Hope all of youz had a great Thanksgiving. This one def felt odd but you make the most. Started to go to work this morning and said..ya know what I think I want a four day weekend for once. Dark meat hot gravy 'open' sammichs, stuffing, deviled eggs and pumpkin pie w/cool whip. All a man needs for the next few meals . Cheers

If ever there was a need to bump a thread, it was this one. never mind the tardiness.

Nowadays, I just give thanks to be alive and my family alive and healthy. 2020's been a shitty year in more ways than one... and I imagine the only thing that's gonna beat Thanksgiving this year is New Year's festivities... with everyone and their brother chomping at the bit to kick 2020 off into the stratosphere. Everything you put on that menu sounds super good, and hey... who cares if you have leftovers for a few days.

Anyway... I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Thread Information