Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your picks for the O's that go in 2019.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Your picks for the O's that go in 2019.

Been a long year with some great things on the horizon. So I'm remembering those top notch year end threads Mick would always do and found myself thinking about which undefeated fighters start 2019 with that glossy O but may be headed to their first L. Some matches are already made, some are in the works and some are desired by fans spawning many hypotheticals. I personally don't put a lot of stock in thinking a defeat is the end of the world and frankly some can do wonders for talented boxers who are either matched tough or just get caught sleeping by a hardened underdog. Glossy 0's can be overrated but you can find out what a guy is made of in the aftermath, physically and mentally.

Going with signed fights I have to say Mikey Garcia takes his first loss by way of Spence. I've seen some say well yeh but hey it's a loss but he's in deep going in. My concern is in what manner and what kind of damage he takes. Of course if the stars align and he pulls the miracle victory when being doubted so heavily it's all moot and I'll eat my shoes.

Josh Warrington. I just think Frampton remains too sturdy and sharp for him. Cards, coin flip rounds and controversy very likely come in but I think Frampton takes it.

Caleb Plant. Superb young defensive boxer but if Porky Medina roughs you up and has you keeping your hands in your pockets then Uzcategui will be a truly big league test.

Ivan Baranchyk at 140. Love his fire and fury but he is in deep with this wbss tourney with Prograis and Taylor in the mix.

Next one's a twofer..

Fury AND Wilder. Yep I think they take the L somewhere over the next 12 (13) months . I just have a sneaking suspicion all the holes in Wilders game will finally catch up to him and it might be some errant brick from an opponent considered 'safe' while he loses all focus on AJ. Or. It will be AJ.

Ryan Garcia aka the Twitter FB sensation. Kid has heart and has mastered his niche. But I think the ring reality catches up next year, he is just way too easy to touch.

BJS hey he already lost a complete year acting like a clown.

Beterbiev..I can see it. I think Alvarez beats him.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Your picks for the O's that go in 2019.

Good shouts, I agree with most of those. In a landscape where so much is made out of being undefeated, I just hope to see plenty as a result of good fights getting made. If the WBSS keeps up, we’re obviously in luck there. Look at the cruisers, you had 3 or 4 undefeated guys who all have a loss now, and the top 5 is virtually the same as it would’ve been before. Light heavy would be a great division to have one, several undefeated fighters. Keith Thurman May just never fight anyone ever again, think he’d lose clearly to Spence or Crawford though, who I’m sure would jump at the fights.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Been a long year with some great things on the horizon. So I'm remembering those top notch year end threads Mick would always do and found myself thinking about which undefeated fighters start 2019 with that glossy O but may be headed to their first L. Some matches are already made, some are in the works and some are desired by fans spawning many hypotheticals. I personally don't put a lot of stock in thinking a defeat is the end of the world and frankly some can do wonders for talented boxers who are either matched tough or just get caught sleeping by a hardened underdog. Glossy 0's can be overrated but you can find out what a guy is made of in the aftermath, physically and mentally.

Going with signed fights I have to say Mikey Garcia takes his first loss by way of Spence. I've seen some say well yeh but hey it's a loss but he's in deep going in. My concern is in what manner and what kind of damage he takes. Of course if the stars align and he pulls the miracle victory when being doubted so heavily it's all moot and I'll eat my shoes.

Josh Warrington. I just think Frampton remains too sturdy and sharp for him. Cards, coin flip rounds and controversy very likely come in but I think Frampton takes it.

Caleb Plant. Superb young defensive boxer but if Porky Medina roughs you up and has you keeping your hands in your pockets then Uzcategui will be a truly big league test.

Ivan Baranchyk at 140. Love his fire and fury but he is in deep with this wbss tourney with Prograis and Taylor in the mix.

Next one's a twofer..

Fury AND Wilder. Yep I think they take the L somewhere over the next 12 (13) months . I just have a sneaking suspicion all the holes in Wilders game will finally catch up to him and it might be some errant brick from an opponent considered 'safe' while he loses all focus on AJ. Or. It will be AJ.

Ryan Garcia aka the Twitter FB sensation. Kid has heart and has mastered his niche. But I think the ring reality catches up next year, he is just way too easy to touch.

Good list. It's gonna be someone who's not having that "0" protected like the gold in Fort Knox.

I'd add an Oleksandr Gvozdyk, currently 15-0 and scheduled to fight Adonis in December. There's a lot of stiff competition at that weight, and Gvozdyk could easily fall prey to an Alvarez, a Bivol, or even Kov.

El Kabong Guest

Oleksander Usyk....I just think he gets hit too much to be effective as a heavyweight so this is IF he moves to heavyweight and fights a top heavyweight so maybe in 2020 more than 2019.

Mikey Garcia-Errol Spence...well they can't BOTH win.

I think it's obvious Wilder-Fury gives one of them a notch in the loss column.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Next one's a twofer..

Nice thread, I've got Warrington and Planet winning, their next fights but they could take a loss later next year tho.

Prograis? Love the guy but I think Taylor beats hims.

Manny Rodriguez

I need to have a little think, and take a look at a list of unbeaten fighters.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tabiti

I'm going to say Callum Smith.

Jermell.

Kavaliauskas.

Masayuki Ito

TJ Doheny

Khalid Yafai
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

Next one's a twofer..

Nice thread, I've got Warrington and Planet winning, their next fights but they could take a loss later next year tho.

Prograis? Love the guy but I think Taylor beats hims.

Manny Rodriguez

I need to have a little think, and take a look at a list of unbeaten fighters.

Yeah, unfortunately you might be right about Manny. He drew the short straw in the WBSS tournament and is facing the current monster of boxing. An upset would be spectacular, but I'm sure Inoue is already heavily favored. Still... I can see Manny having some of the belts in the division, as I'd bet on him against any other bantamweight.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea I see Rodriguez as the 2nd best bantam.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Good shouts, I agree with most of those. In a landscape where so much is made out of being undefeated, I just hope to see plenty as a result of good fights getting made. If the WBSS keeps up, we’re obviously in luck there. Look at the cruisers, you had 3 or 4 undefeated guys who all have a loss now, and the top 5 is virtually the same as it would’ve been before. Light heavy would be a great division to have one, several undefeated fighters. Keith Thurman May just never fight anyone ever again, think he’d lose clearly to Spence or Crawford though, who I’m sure would jump at the fights.
    I think you're right on Thurman. He's essentially starting over cold as the division and momentum has been passing him by and Spence and Crawford have kicked him into the guest bedroom. To fans he's a reboot. By design it's good to see the undefeated face off with WBSS, guys know exactly what they're walking into with single win-loss direction and making for some quality face offs.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Next one's a twofer..

Good list. It's gonna be someone who's not having that "0" protected like the gold in Fort Knox.

I'd add an Oleksandr Gvozdyk, currently 15-0 and scheduled to fight Adonis in December. There's a lot of stiff competition at that weight, and Gvozdyk could easily fall prey to an Alvarez, a Bivol, or even Kov.
    Good call 175 is a shark tank with so much potential. I think father time and genuine talent with the upside finally catch up to Stevenson

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Next one's a twofer..

Pretty much spot on there. I'd say AJ will lose the O if he fights fury.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Next one's a twofer..

Anyone want this weeks lotto numbers
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Next one's a twofer..

Good call bud I whiffed on that one. Haven't seen it but sounds like he breezed the test and ready for bigger things.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ryan Garcia losing this year is highly unlikely. Not because he is that good, though leaving his father was a good move and Reynoso will undoubtedly improve his skills.

He is, however, the cash cow in waiting for Golden Boy, and they are going to be very careful and deliberate in moving him. Him getting beat before he is fighting for $10 million is very unlikely.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Next one's a twofer..

Good call bud I whiffed on that one. Haven't seen it but sounds like he breezed the test and ready for bigger things.
    He did gas towards the end but he had been inactive and Jose is known for coming on over the 2nd half. I like Plant, he has very good skills and a fantastic background story.
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information