User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dana White on Oscar De la Hoya

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Dana White on Oscar De la Hoya

Dana White blasts De La Hoya, California for allowing Chuck Liddell to fight
    http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/2...-liddell-fight
    UFC president Dana White on Tuesday blasted Oscar De La Hoya, Golden Boy Promotions and the California State Athletic Commission for their roles in last weekend's trilogy bout between formerly retired UFC legends Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz.

Liddell, 48, came out of a nearly eight-year retirement to face his old rival Ortiz, 43, in a light heavyweight bout in Los Angeles. Ortiz scored a knockout victory in the final minute of the opening round. It was the seventh knockout loss of Liddell's storied career.

Speaking to UFC Unfiltered on Tuesday, White, who is a longtime friend of Liddell and encouraged him to retire in 2011, blasted De La Hoya for promoting the fight.

"Listen, I love Chuck Liddell and I don't ever want to badmouth Chuck Liddell or even let people think I'm remotely badmouthing Chuck Liddell," White said. "But the reality is, first of all, I heard last week the cokehead, 'Oscar De La Weirdo,' is talking s---, that I don't have any place to tell guys when to retire. It's called friendship.

"It's friendship, you f---ing cokehead. I've been friends with Chuck Liddell for 20 years and the reality is Chuck Liddell retired when he should have retired eight or nine years ago."

White then took aim at the California State Athletic Commission.

"Chuck Liddell is almost 50 years old and has no business fighting anymore. The fact the state of California let that fight happen is disgusting. It's disgusting," White said. "Chuck Liddell has an incredible legacy. He's a huge superstar. Anybody who claims to be a friend of Chuck Liddell and was anywhere near [that fight] is full of s---. They're not a friend of Chuck Liddell. To let him go in and fight this fight is terrible."

Saturday's pay-per-view event was the first time Golden Boy Promotions had ventured in mixed martial arts. De La Hoya did not attend the postfight news conference and has not publicly commented on the bout, other than saying "Golden Boy MMA was born today" on social media afterward.

Liddell has not indicated whether he intends to fight again. Ortiz announced his retirement immediately after his win over Liddell, and wishes to join Golden Boy Promotions as a promoter in future MMA events.

Liddell and Ortiz were involved in a heated rivalry at the peak of their careers. They fought in 2004 and 2006. Liddell won both fights via knockout.

Strong words from Dana White. Now I don't like Dana White too much, I respect the guy and what he's done for the UFC and MMA, he's a hell of a promoter/marketer....but I have to say MAD RESPECT for him calling out De la Hoya. I think Dana White really does care about the UFC old timers, he has some heart that guy.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dana White on Oscar De la Hoya

Was a little weary when we saw Liddell hanging out getting camera time on a couple of recent GBP cards. I'd have the same advice for Oscar getting into mma as I thought for White..stay in your lane. But Oscar is straight up robbing graveyards bringing on Ortiz and Chuck and needs to focus on developing prospects. Low hanging fruit slamming a guy for drugs and being a weirdo, hey Oscar walked right into it and I've slammed him myself, but of the two one actually traded punches on an elite level within the sport he promotes.

El Kabong Guest

Just because Oscar was a pro boxer doesn't give him carte blanche to make money off of old ass fighters and exploit them....

Isaiah Culpepper vs. Djavan Coleman
    Joshua Kim vs. Geoffrey Thomas
    Jonathan Kim vs. Mauro Gutierrez
    Tyler Schafer vs. Maria Favela
    Julianna Miller vs. Diana Mendoza

All of that "filler" those are AMATEUR bouts, they padded up the card to rake in more cash....not something I care for to be quite honest, I wouldn't want amateur boxers to get used like that.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Just because Oscar was a pro boxer doesn't give him carte blanche to make money off of old ass fighters and exploit them....

Isaiah Culpepper vs. Djavan Coleman
    Joshua Kim vs. Geoffrey Thomas
    Jonathan Kim vs. Mauro Gutierrez
    Tyler Schafer vs. Maria Favela
    Julianna Miller vs. Diana Mendoza

All of that "filler" those are AMATEUR bouts, they padded up the card to rake in more cash....not something I care for to be quite honest, I wouldn't want amateur boxers to get used like that.
    Yeh you're right, it's garbage as was the card-event. The first I heard of it I was ready to rip Bellator but then saw it was GBP . Truth is though and whatever I think of it personally..promoters promote and can be frankly ruthless. They can get low. The majority of them have had some shameful matches logged be it within their own sport or another. White may have close ties and be sincere..Ortiz and Liddell did get him his start..but he's not some gleaming saint adverse to using old souls to build new ones. Liddell was punchy on ufc cards and getting ko'd once his chin cracked before last weekend. The shameful exploiting of retreads and shot fighters happens monthly in boxing itself and honestly it's more often than not a talent of the rise using 'names' as doormats and money makers rather than two old rivals who choose to enter the octagon. Wish it wouldn't happen and I won't watch it but it does. If anything White has more of a point with the Commission allowing it and that's the real concern.

El Kabong Guest

I can't argue with that....I WILL say however I'm sure certain folks have bigger pull with the California Athletic Commission and the Nevada Athletic Commission and the New York Athletic Commission and that goes back to the dawn of organized boxing events.

Money talks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They are feuding again now.

Thread Information