Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben Davison - Trainer of the year?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ben Davison - Trainer of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I do not see a problem with what Roach said. If that is how he sees it then so be it. Fury has made no technical progress since coming back and did not win the fight so maybe Roach has a point.
    I think that’s a bit harsh. The Fury that fought Wilder was (surprisingly to me) many levels above what he looked like against Pianeta.
    And you could even say that considering Wilder asked more questions than Wlad, that this was technically better .
    Have to say, I never thought I would be saying that.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury was similar really. He was just in better shape. Technically he was the same as always. Fury knows more about boxing than his trainer and Roach knows more than both of them. When you have trained Toney and Pac you have seen it all. If Roach thinks mistakes were made then so be it. It's up to him where and how he says it. No need for any tears.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury was similar really. He was just in better shape. Technically he was the same as always. Fury knows more about boxing than his trainer and Roach knows more than both of them. When you have trained Toney and Pac you have seen it all. If Roach thinks mistakes were made then so be it. It's up to him where and how he says it. No need for any tears.
    No need for any tears, you’re right. But there’s a difference between “tears” and calling someone a snakey cunt. And Roach is a snakey cunt.
    Just because he’s trained some good guys, who by the way weren’t with him their whole careers, so it’s debatable what he gave them, doesn’t mean he’s not a snakey cunt.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    No need for any tears, you’re right. But there’s a difference between “tears” and calling someone a snakey cunt. And Roach is a snakey cunt.
    Just because he’s trained some good guys, who by the way weren’t with him their whole careers, so it’s debatable what he gave them, doesn’t mean he’s not a snakey cunt.
    I guess you saying he is a snakey cunt makes him a snakey cunt. I prefer to look at it more as if he wants to say something that he has observed then he is free to say it. Nobody is getting hurt by a trainer saying 'He should have encouraged him to go for it more and I wasn't impressed with the crying at the end'. It is a difference of opinion and big deal if Roach said it with the cameras on. I see that as being open and if Fury's team has an issue then they can talk to Roach and he will say the same if he hasn't already of course.

I happen to agree with him. Fury didn't win because in several rounds there were no more than a couple of punches between them and he got knocked down twice. At least take a few risks to get the win otherwise you probably won't get the win.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You could argue Fury took too much of a risk in the last round.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    You could argue Fury took too much of a risk in the last round.
    He could have gone on his bicycle, but the truth is he fought the 12th much like every other round. Wilder just landed the punches better at last.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only Freddie Roach believes that if Freddie Roach was at the helm, Fury would have won by knockout for sure. Roach would have probably got him knocked out before half way is the truth of it.

Technical adjustments aside, we're talking about professional courtesy aren't we? A bit of basic decency that says don't air your dirty laundry in public, if you've got a problem with a colleague deal with it internally. Roach has routinely demonstrated over the years that he's lacking in class and a bit of a rat, a bit of whinger where other fighters/trainers are concerned. He's not alone of course, look at the interview Dom Ingle did recently concerning Brook moving on. Yeah it was all amicable but basically I'm alright and he's a bit of a cunt.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I guess you saying he is a snakey cunt makes him a snakey cunt. I prefer to look at it more as if he wants to say something that he has observed then he is free to say it. Nobody is getting hurt by a trainer saying 'He should have encouraged him to go for it more and I wasn't impressed with the crying at the end'. It is a difference of opinion and big deal if Roach said it with the cameras on. I see that as being open and if Fury's team has an issue then they can talk to Roach and he will say the same if he hasn't already of course.

I happen to agree with him. Fury didn't win because in several rounds there were no more than a couple of punches between them and he got knocked down twice. At least take a few risks to get the win otherwise you probably won't get the win.
    uh, me saying he's a snakey cunt doesn't make him a snakey cunt . HE IS A SNAKEY CUNT -FACT . Whether what he said is true or not, I'm not overly worried about , I think nearly everyone can see why he said what he said, but hey ho.
    And the very fact that he doesn't have any detailed dealings with Fury means he has no clue what he is like, and what his strengths and weaknesses are .
    OK, so let's entertain the possibility that Snakey was the main man in the Fury corner, and he instructs Fury to go for the KO . Then Fury gets KO'd! what does Snakey say then? I'm sure he'll squirm out of it and blame Fury , and onto the next mug!
    Fury doesn't have relative power. The reason he doesn't have power is because of his movement. he never plants his feet to plug guys, because if he does, he negates his biggest asset , his awkward movement and style.
    so when he negates that , he is also susceptible to getting floored himself, we've seen that before. He always gets back up, but the more times that happens, the more chance that eventually he won't get up . so he uses his Boxing skills, which to be fair is what it's all about anyway , isn't it ?
    How would Snakey have even got Fury to this stage ? he would never have lost that weight with Snakey in Charge, because Snakey doesn't know the character and what makes him tick .
    And that's the key. you have to understand the Man, build a relationship with him, it's the way he is.
    Fuck me, Snakey can't even forge a relationship with Manny ffs. Manny letting him know through the media he won't be training him for the Broner fight and more or less saying "the old man needs a rest, he's not up to it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am guessing Roach is not on your Christmas card list this year too.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Primo, Fury needed to do more. I don't think going for a KO was needed. That is hyperbole with Fury's KO record and Wilder being determined, but for me at least, to win a round clearly you need several punches beyond the other guy. That makes it decisive, just too nip and tuck for me.

I thought GGG edged Canelo but likewise that was closer than the first fight too. Tough matchups end up close.

I don't mind Roach saying that as there is some truth there. Bit wild with KO stuff but Fury could have thrown and landed more.

Both fighters had terrible output really.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Primo, Fury needed to do more. I don't think going for a KO was needed. That is hyperbole with Fury's KO record and Wilder being determined, but for me at least, to win a round clearly you need several punches beyond the other guy. That makes it decisive, just too nip and tuck for me.

I thought GGG edged Canelo but likewise that was closer than the first fight too. Tough matchups end up close.

I don't mind Roach saying that as there is some truth there. Bit wild with KO stuff but Fury could have thrown and landed more.

Both fighters had terrible output really.
    Mate, some of what you're saying is undeniably right. But this isn't about what Roach said, it's about how he went about it . For me, Fury won the fight, but with Wilder putting him down in 2 rounds , you can see why it was a draw. It's disappointing, but we should come to expect it now. not exactly the Great Train Robbery.
    Fury needed to do more - Yep, maybe he did , to make his dominance clearer. But if he could've done more , he would've . we're talking about a guy who has not fought a meaningful fight in 3 years and in that time put on and lost 10 stone, taken Coke and allegedly nearly killed himself. I think he overachieved in this fight tbh.
    look back in time and you'll see I'm not exactly Fury's no.1 fan , but credit where credit is due.
    But Roach isn't saying that. Roach said "there were a couple of occasions where I would have instructed him to go for the KO." implying that if he were coach Fury could've knocked Wilder out. But that's not strictly true. he may have got caught himself and got KTFO.
    Roach was asked to be in Fury's corner because they respected him. In return , he should have enough respect for them not to talk out of school. He said that they're due to meet up in January, he could've waited till then to mention it to them directly. What was to be gained for saying it in an interview now?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In case anyone needs evidence that his thousands of lies don’t provide to show Roach is a snake. Here we have him being racist against Mexicans and an Anti-Semite

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IuGuByc3N7Y

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trainer of the year? No way, it's definently eddy reynoso, his fighter has 1.5 MILLLLLLLLLION onstage am followers. ...that's the important thing!

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Trainer of the year? No way, it's definently eddy reynoso, his fighter has 1.5 MILLLLLLLLLION onstage am followers. ...that's the important thing!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jamie Moore clearly overtook him tonight. The way he told Fielding to keep going was genius. Imagine what we would have missed out on had he not.

Thread Information