Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Garcia bulking up for Spence

He is a bit weird (Glen Quagmire) looking anyhow but he looks to be looking to add a lot of bulk quickly for Spence.

https://twitter.com/_garciapita/stat...48126743625729

Spence has said about Spence that he 'looks like Kangaroo Jack on steroids'. March is a long way off yet . Garcia is training with Vicor Conte and there is VADA testing in place -

https://www.boxingscene.com/mikey-ga...-fight--135030
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Garcia bulking up for Garcia

Bulking up never seems to work other than maybe for people moving to HW.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's all wrong man. More and more I think Garcia is seriously short changing his natural talent and possibly career packing on all that slow muscle and jumping up.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why did he not fight Loma?

Is he doing this fight like Brook stepping up to GGG?..or Khan to Canelo?

Why take a loss and ruin confidence by fighting the bogeyman at 147?

Not unless he knows something that he can seriously exploit about Spence.

Don’t get this fight...Spence is wasting time not fighting a Crawford or Porter.

Spence has not got a great resume at 147.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Garcia needs to use his smaller size to his advantage so speed will be important for him. Bulking up on muscle will surely slow him down and reduce his stamina.

Good luck to him as this is mission impossible.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Why did he not fight Loma?

Is he doing this fight like Brook stepping up to GGG?..or Khan to Canelo?

Why take a loss and ruin confidence by fighting the bogeyman at 147?

Not unless he knows something that he can seriously exploit about Spence.

Don’t get this fight...Spence is wasting time not fighting a Crawford or Porter.

Spence has not got a great resume at 147.
    He wanted Loma but Arum wasn’t going to make it. I think Garcia wanted a big fight now instead of treading water.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Question is will the extra weight wear him down prematurely and making him a sitting duck to get steamrolled by a Spence who will probably be 160 come fight night. He'll need to keep his hands high the entire time, use his jab to set up combinations and get out without being caught on the ropes. This will be draining.

Flash knockdowns he got dropped with at lower weights could be fight ending here, so hes going to have to find a way to wear down Spence as well and take the power off his shots. Then again I still don't buy into Spence as the heir apparent and wont till i see him fight a good fighter at their natural weight and in their prime (or at least on the uphill side)
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First thought is if he’s going to do well in this, it’s not coming down to matching strength, and the fact that he’s making that any kind of aim just makes me doubt his chances more.. I wonder what he walks around at? Strikes me everything should be about the game plan and tweaking what he already has, there surely isn’t enough time to add size and become a different guy, especially with no prior fights.. then again perhaps it’ll prove neccesary to bulk up somewhat, I’m no expert. The for sure thing is this deserves respect. Mikey is not a guy who would take a fight without believing he could win, and he didn’t need this. He could have set his sights on any other welterweight, more winnable fights, and gotten nearly equal money and credit.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the good thing here for Mikey is he doesn't have to worry about boiling down in weight. His training can can mainly focus on strategy. He is not the fastest or the most mobile anyway, I also would be interested in the weight he walks around at, if he is training, but not cutting it will always be beneficial.

My boy is definitely up against it, but I've got to back my guy. I think Mikey's timing gives Spence all sorts of trouble.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Garcia is not going to stay out of the way of Spences left for 12 rounds by counter punching. He is going to give up any questionable speed advantage by piling the weight on and when he feels Spences power all that bulk will not protect his body. It will slow him down and the less he moves the more unrelenting will the up close work be by Spence. To beat Spence you need to keep him away from you at a distance and outbox him with enough power to make him think twice about doing his dangerous work up close. It's a fight and anything can happen, but Garcia has no chance of matching the size and strength of a fighter who could easily move up fighting at his campaigning weight. A step too far but Kudos to him for going for it.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I think the good thing here for Mikey is he doesn't have to worry about boiling down in weight. His training can can mainly focus on strategy. He is not the fastest or the most mobile anyway, I also would be interested in the weight he walks around at, if he is training, but not cutting it will always be beneficial.

My boy is definitely up against it, but I've got to back my guy. I think Mikey's timing gives Spence all sorts of trouble.
    Agreed. Timing is probably his best weapon against Spence. Mikey supposedly walks around at 170
    https://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/01...ipinets-fight/

Once he starts training some of that weights naturally coming off. Then the last 8 to 10 will be a b*tch. Cutting weight that last few days just makes you into an a$$hole... He might walk around 170, but for fight night, I doubt he gets all that weight back as well as Spence will because his frame just carries it differently. From the pic, hes done some pec and lat work for Spence's body work. He's used weights for his neck, should probably work on his traps (but probably feared it would make him too tight come fight time and affect loose, fluid straight punching.)
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Timing is definitely key for Garcia to win the fight. Spence falls into the trap of great offensive fighters. He is so good offensively that he is willing to get hit in order to get off his shots. If Garcia can time him well, he will be able to find success.

The issue is that the size difference IMO will offset Garcia’s timing. If Spence isn’t scared of getting hit and can walk through Garcia’s punches, then timing isn’t really going to matter. So in the end, it all depends on whether or not Mikey has the power to keep Spence honest or not.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Garcia bulking up for Spence

Good point on timing of Mikey and his top asset. And truth be told as much as I'm all in on Spence it's well established he is all about closing distance and getting his awesome work off tending to give up defense in some spots. He stands tall and is almost so cerebral that he fights relaxed. Not careless but totally focused on rolling his shots in and Brook had a bit of success punching between him. And when's the last time Spence has been fighting off his heels? But I come back to what he's showing in bulking up only seems to chip away at his best hope and a real smart game plan. He'll be slower, more frontal and trying to play the power game. Not so much in and slide off, get off and get out. He's going to be there to get hit. I do not envy his nose.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So we are now saying Garcia is not bulking up for Garcia Beanz ?
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    So we are now saying Garcia is not bulking up for Garcia Beanz ?
    I liked the idea that he was just doing it for himself, and no one else....

Thread Information