447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is the earth flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboxingfan View Post
    It has occurred to me today that when a ship sails off toward the horizon, it doesn't just get smaller and smaller until it's not visible anymore. Have you ever noticed the hull seems to sink below the horizon first, then the mast. When ships return from sea, the sequence is reversed: First the mast, then the hull, seem to rise over the horizon. The ship-and-horizon observation is so self-evident but Flat-~Brainers~ Earthers assume WRONGLY that the sequential disappearance is simply an illusion brought on by "perspective". This "debunking" doesn't make much sense, as there's nothing about "perspective" that should make the bottom of an object disappear before the top. If you'd like to prove to yourself that perspective isn't the reason for boats disappearing hull-first and returning mast-first, bring a telescope or binoculars on your trip to the harbor. Even with vision enhancement, the ship will still dip below the curve of the Earth.

And then there's THIS little inconvenient tid-bit: Aristotle figured out this one in 350 B.C., and as far as I have ever been able to tell, nothing's changed. Different constellations are visible from different latitudes. I can give 2 great examples are the Big Dipper and the Southern Cross. The Big Dipper is always visible at latitudes of 41 degrees North or higher. Below 25 degrees South, you can't see it at all. And in northern Australia, just north of that latitude, the Big Dipper just barely squeaks above the horizon. To make Flat-Earthers sweat their little derrieres off even worse, in the Southern Hemisphere, there's the Southern Cross, a bright four-star arrangement. That constellation isn't visible until you travel as far south as the Florida Keys in the Northern Hemisphere. These different stellar views make sense if you imagine the Earth as a globe, so that looking "up" really means looking toward a different sliver of space from the Southern or Northern hemisphere.

Oh and if we're still on Aristotle, he wrote (and we still have the text) during lunar eclipses, the Earth's shadow on the face of the sun is curved. I have repeatedly shown this to Alpha. Since this curved shape exists during all lunar eclipses, despite the fact that Earth is rotating, Aristotle correctly intuited from this curved shadow that the Earth is curvy all around — in other words, a sphere. For that matter, solar eclipses also prove the idea that the planets, moons and stars are a bunch of roundish objects orbiting each other. If the Earth is a disk and the stars and planets a bunch of small, nearby objects hovering in a dome above the surface, as many flat-Earthers believe, the total solar eclipse that crossed North America in August 2017 becomes very difficult to explain. Verrrrrrrrrrrrry difficult.

Aaaaaaaaaand there's this: the curvature of the Earth limits our sight to about 3.1 miles (5 kilometers) … unless you climb up a tall tree, building or mountain and get yourself a perspective from higher up. You can see farther if you go higher. If the Earth was flat, you'd be able to see the same distance no matter your elevation. Think about it: Your eye can detect a bright object, like the Andromeda galaxy, from 2.6 million light-years away. Seeing the lights of, say, Miami from New York City (a distance of a mere 1,094 miles or 1,760 kilometers) on a clear evening should be child's play.

But it's not.

Should be easy for you then to provide a physical example of a standing body of water with the surface naturally bending.
    Yep. Its called Planet Earth.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id like a couple of answers on very basic questions if possible please.
    Why is there a curved shadow of Earth on the moon during an eclipse if its flat?
    How are there tides with water rising and falling across the (excuse the expression):globe,which are running west to east at perfectly defined timed but varying intervals due to the moon if its dead flat and the argument is that the water is dead flat or level along with it?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Why is there a curved shadow of Earth on the moon during an eclipse if its flat?
    How are there tides with water rising and falling across the (excuse the expression):globe,which are running west to east at perfectly defined timed but varying intervals due to the moon if its dead flat and the argument is that the water is dead flat or level along with it?
    good luck Andre but this is no longer about asking questions and expecting to get an answer I guess you need to hold a round ball of water for him.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Andre, by your post it is obvious that you haven’t bothered to look through the thread, there is a lot of information in here, especially regarding eclipses.

As for tides, I am happy to say I do not know what the actual cause is (I have my speculations: electromagnatism, temperature, nodes etc), but I know it is not the gravitational force of the moon. No lakes, of other bodies of water are affected. There are also amphidromic points (tidal node) locations all over that are not affected. You should do more research on tides.

If you would like to have a discussion, we would need to agree on first principles, to see where we agree and if there is any point in having a discussion.

So, could I ask:

Would you agree that it's an objective physical truth that a body of water will always take the shape of its container and the surface will always be level?

Anyway here’s a quick vid on eclipses:

They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Made no sense at all.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Richard Branson just took his space tourism company public. Right now I think a ride is like 250k. He has taken up 4 or 6 people so far but took it public as he wants raise the cash to make it cheaper and more available to others. The people who have gone up so far we’re not reporting any other shape than spherical but I didn’t go myself. Perhaps one day it will be more accessible to people and we can go up see for ourselves

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not only is the earth flat but space is fake

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qkRnJutL5ko

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

laughable, nothing practical in there. The guy doesn't understand physics. And asking why math isn't relavant? Come on kid, it's a formal science (a language).

You had your chance for a discussion Walrus, but punked out.

You know the circumference of the earth, you know how much it should be curving each mile. All you need to do is practically demonstrate at what scale the physics of the tangible substance change, and the srface of a standing body of water will start to curve.

May I ask Walrus, as I know you are religous, do you believe the words of the bible to be true? I mean word for word, or only bits? Or is it just all just allegory?
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    laughable, nothing practical in there. The guy doesn't understand physics. And asking why math isn't relavant? Come on kid, it's a formal science (a language).

You had your chance for a discussion Walrus, but punked out.

You know the circumference of the earth, you know how much it should be curving each mile. All you need to do is practically demonstrate at what scale the physics of the tangible substance change, and the srface of a standing body of water will start to curve.

May I ask Walrus, as I know you are religous, do you believe the words of the bible to be true? I mean word for word, or only bits? Or is it just all just allegory?
    Strawman argumwnt

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alpha what do you make of this stuff?

https://www.metabunk.org/soundly-pro...artrain.t8939/

The water argument is a consistent one throughout the thread and one that if observed by any one of us day to day you'd have to conclude that it conforms to it's shape and is level. You really need to supersize the observation.

A flat Earth would be good. Especially if its proof had a Truman Show type ending. That would be brilliant.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never punks out alpha just got tired of it. To answer your question simply I’m not a fundamentalist when it comes to the Bible.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post

The water argument is a consistent one throughout the thread and one that if observed by any one of us day to day you'd have to conclude that it conforms to it's shape and is level. You really need to supersize the observation.

A flat Earth would be good. Especially if its proof had a Truman Show type ending. That would be brilliant.
    So where is the end of the world? Surely someone would have got and taken a picture there by now to prove that Alpha was right all along.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

So where is the end of the world? Surely someone would have got and taken a picture there by now to prove that Alpha was right all along.
    You would think.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

You would think.
    Flat earthers have been around a lot longer, what have they been playing at in all that time?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information