Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lennox Lewis - The gloss

From a Brit perspective I would say that Lewis was our best 20th century heavyweight, end of.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    From a Brit perspective I would say that Lewis was our best 20th century heavyweight, end of.

Oh yes, definitely (though it could be argued that he was produced as a fighter in Canada rather than Britain)
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    Lennox won every round in the rematch against Rahman, and scored a brutal KO in the 4th. What do you mean he never established superiority?

No doubting that, but he got pretty brutally knocked out himself in the first fight. Therefor they're one a piece. There was no real conclusion to Lewis V Rahman only that Lewis won the second fight and from there the consensus was/is that was the proper result. It's a bit unfair on Rahman I think and I cant stand the cunt.

Caught off guard..... didn't train properly..... unmotivated.... lazy..... all of those have been used to describe Lewis' effort against Rahman.

Going into the rematch, Rahman could not claim the same (being caught off guard). If anything, they were both totally motivated by the grudge that developed between the two fights.

So saying it's 1-1 and leaving it at that is what REALLY defines glossing it over for me. All things considered, I'd rather be Lewis.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't blame Lewis for swerving a rubber match with McCall, I was terrified for him after watching that mental Avenger get blasted with flush right hands, basically sucker punches, which had zero effect. Lewis did well to not jump through the ropes and leg it.

And technically Rhaman is 2-1 over Lewis, he definitely got the better of him in the studio scuffle. Rock had him on his back, could have easily nutted or forearmed him unconcious if he wasn't dragged off.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lewis fought arrogant and with no respect for either rahman or McCall. That is why he lost those fights.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking back given the sort of professional Lewis was it's still hard to comprehend why he was so ill prepared for Rahman.

Disrespectful to us all.

Frank is our true champ !
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't disagree with any of the responses to be honest, like I said Lewis was a better fighter than both Rahman and McCall, no doubting that. He proved it over course and distance with better wins against better fighters. In terms of establishing superiority I was speaking purely numerically. On paper they are one win each, with Lewis by consensus winning the one that counted most.

The responses support the narrative that Lewis won the fights that mattered and although the losses are acknowledged, we can essentially sweep what went before under the carpet. That may well have been the case but as I mentioned before it's a little unfair on Rahman and McCall to reduce their efforts in fight one to a blip on Lewis's part, whether that be poor game plan, preparation, attitude. The fights were won or lost based on what Lennox Lewis did or didn't do rather than anything Rahman or McCall did. For me that's a bit naughty.

Looking back yeah maybe McCall is the better example of a grey area. They had one actual fight and McCall won it spectacularly. His mental state in fight two robbed him of his opportunity to repeat what went before, but in fairness it also robbed Lewis of the opportunity to properly right any wrongs.

Yep mental really that someone could be so ill prepared. A fighter of Lewis's calibre with his intelligence and support system around him.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny article today with Lewis warning Wilder to not let acting make him take his eye of his day job. Difference being that Lewis was of course very good at his day job

Wilder recently took to social media and unveiled his upcoming plans to try his hand at acting.
    “God has blessed me to be able to do something else that I’m very passionate about and that’s acting.
    “#2019 big things poppin. Just wait until you see the champ in Lights, Camera, Action. #BombZquad”

And Lewis was quick to respond to the undefeated champion with a light-hearted word of warning:
    “Be careful there. That acting thing doesn’t always work out for heavyweight champs. Trust me. I know!”

https://www.givemesport.com/1440558-...t?autoplay=off
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kind of reminds you of another KO by an ATG...

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    Lennox won every round in the rematch against Rahman, and scored a brutal KO in the 4th. What do you mean he never established superiority?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Coincidentally I am on the chapter where McCall lost to Lewis and in the press conference he claims it was all a ploy to get Lennox to complacent again but the ref got in the way and stopped the fight. Oliver McCall was paid $3million for this fight and was demanding a rematch.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Coincidentally I am on the chapter where McCall lost to Lewis and in the press conference he claims it was all a ploy to get Lennox to complacent again but the ref got in the way and stopped the fight. Oliver McCall was paid $3million for this fight and was demanding a rematch.

LMAO! Well.... the ref (Mills, right?) gave Oliver more than ample time to quit bawling and fight. So if it was a ploy then Oliver dragged on a bit too much. Also, Oliver still got paid?? I don't remember that part. I would've stripped him of his cut following that debacle.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

LMAO! Well.... the ref (Mills, right?) gave Oliver more than ample time to quit bawling and fight. So if it was a ploy then Oliver dragged on a bit too much. Also, Oliver still got paid?? I don't remember that part. I would've stripped him of his cut following that debacle.
    Yes Oliver got paid as did Henry Akinwande.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Yes Oliver got paid as did Henry Akinwande.

For the Lewis-McCall fight??!??

(just kidding)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

We always see these type of phrases that allude to the fight being won in the gym. Its partially true. There are kids that look great in the gym and the freeze up when it's showtime, too. So i believe at least part of it is won in the gym. That being said, Lennox was responsible for being ill prepared and getting his clocked leaned by Rahman. It's a loss. Did he win the rematch, sure by KO...but I do see what Memphis means by it getting glossed over. Would Rahman get beat in a rubber match? Probably... Rahman was a fighter that always knew when he had enough and then his shine was gone. It doesn't mean lightning couldn't have struck twice nor does it erase the sight of a bloated Lennox flashing a cheesy grin a second before getting obliterated by that ugly right hand. His dreads did him a favor and kept his head from bouncing off that mat. Otherwise i don't think he would have gotten to his feet without assistance.

As for McCall.. Lewis got caught. McCall knew what he was doing when he threw that combo. As for the rematch, McCall is responsible for that loss for whatever he was trying to do. Lennox gets credit for frustrating him and you have to admit that Lennox gets up for revenge matches and preps well and is motivated... probably better than most... or one knockout doesn't really negate another. One might even argue that a rematch win or knockout might not even have the effect it does if the first fights loss wasn't casting doubt or suspense on the rematch.

Records, knockout losses, subpar preparation aside. Lewis was probably one of the more complete heavies in recent memory. Not ferocious by nature but knew when he could have an easy night by jumping on someone early. Fought quite a few names and didn't mentally come apart. I wasn't a fan before because I thought he could have been more aggressive many times when it seemed like he was playing with his food. But he always got flak for playing chess instead of checkers.
    Last edited by J_Undisputed; 01-12-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: extra copies of the quotes showed up after submitting
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did Lennox Lewis duck anyone?
    Did Holyfield haggle terms until eventually fighting him? (Holyfields statemtn after the Bowe fight Re: Lewis was revealing,no?)
    Did Tysons team (just after prison)pay step aside money to Lewis?
    Was Lewis last fight competitive against a top tier heavyweight?
    Why didnt Lewis vs Bowe not happen? Does it even matter?

Apart from Bowe, was there any other significant heavyweights Lewis did not face?

Even Ali said Lewis was the greatest. Does that statement have value.

For me, Lewis fought many skillful heavyweights with heart who are much better than most of the current crop, apart from Fury and Joshua. (Wlad excluded as we dont know if hes in or out yet)

Was never a Lewis fan, but he has grown on me a little since. His alloofness and at times safety first chess match in the ring was a turn off, but he changed that when necessary against Ruddock, Golota and Michael Grant, all of them considered in different ways to be dangerous. Golota at the time was quality heavyweight package, who as it turned out had a screw loose under pressure, but thats not a crime.
    Last edited by sanatogen; 01-12-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Thread Information