Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was it fair of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute to strip Angela Davis of award?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Was it fair of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute to strip Angela Davis of award?

Resignations rock US civil rights institute after it strips Angela Davis of award due to her support of Palestinians

https://www.rt.com/usa/448507-angela-davis-israel-bds/

Three members quit the board of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute after its controversial decision to first award, then to rescind an award for iconic activist Angela Davis, following objections to her anti-Israel statements.

The gesture of protest came hours after Davis took to Facebook and called the retraction “not an attack against me but rather against the very spirit of the indivisibility of justice.”

The mass resignation is the latest step in a spiraling conflict that has torn apart a respected civil rights research center, and publicly humiliated Davis, who, at 74, remains an active campaigner and academic.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was it fair of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute to strip Angela Davis of aw

John Lennon wrote for this song about Angela Davis.

Last edited by Freedom; 01-11-2019 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Was it fair of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute to strip Angela Davis of aw

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It just demonstrates the strength of conservative evangelical Christians in the south, with very public and long held pro-Zionist positions. They will try to justify this with both scriptural and political rhetoric. It is very easy to blame the Jewish lobby, but they do not speak for many Jews all over the world who do not support Israel in it's oppression of the Palestinians, and idiots who think Jews in Israel are incapable of violating human rights, are enabled by the support of huge swathes of Christian America.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    It just demonstrates the strength of conservative evangelical Christians in the south, with very public and long held pro-Zionist positions. They will try to justify this with both scriptural and political rhetoric. It is very easy to blame the Jewish lobby, but they do not speak for many Jews all over the world who do not support Israel in it's oppression of the Palestinians, and idiots who think Jews in Israel are incapable of violating human rights, are enabled by the support of huge swathes of Christian America.
    So you blame Christians. Why am I not surprised?

Interestingly, the Christian Church (United Church of Canada) I used to attend was under fire from the Canadian Jewish Congress for supporting human rights for the Palestinians.

Any people calling themselves Christians who support the cruel treatment of the Palestinians by the Israelis are not really Christians.

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    So you blame Christians.

Why am I not surprised?

Interestingly, the Christian Church (United Church of Canada) I used to attend was under fire for supporting human rights for the Palestinians.
    Regan tried to have her banned from teaching in any Californian University because she was a member of the communist party, so to pretend that there is no non Jewish pro Zionist movement in America is just thoroughly dishonest, many Christian presidents have taken the lead in supporting Israel whatever they do. In Alabama those Christian pro Zionists are very vocal and influential. You are trying to tar an entire ethnic group based on your own prejudice and I am simply reminding you that I will not play that game. That is why you are not surprised. You want to talk about what it feels like to be under fire for supporting Human rights for Palestinians, try doing so as a Jew and then try doing that within Israel and Palestine.

It is at least reassuring to know you support The Black Panthers and Communists though. Right on. Solidarity Brother
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

to pretend that there is no non Jewish pro Zionist movement in America is just thoroughly dishonest
    To pretend the lobby has no power in the USA is extremely dishonest.
    In Alabama those Christian pro Zionists are very vocal and influential.
    Such people are simple-minded, brainwashed fools. One cannot be a Christian and at the same time support shooting Palestinian children and daily collective punishment of an entire group of people. It goes against the teaching of Jesus Christ.
    You are trying to tar an entire ethnic group based on your own prejudice and I am simply reminding you that I will not play that game.
    No, YOU are trying to tar an entire group, namely Christians.
    You want to talk about what it feels like to be under fire for supporting Human rights for Palestinians, try doing so as a Jew and then try doing that within Israel and Palestine.
    No, I'm not going to convert to Judaism. I doubt if they would really accept me because of my Anglo-Saxon and Celtic ancestry.

And they wouldn't let me into Israel, because I don't have a Jewish grandparent.
    It is at least reassuring to know you support The Black Panthers and Communists though. Right on. Solidarity Brother
    No.

I was a supporter of Black Civil Rights back in the day, but I'm not and have never been a communist.

I am a supporter of Palestinian human rights, but those who support the Palestinian people are from various groups: Christians, South African anti-Apartheid groups, Sunni Muslims, Shia Muslims, David Duke and his followers, Buddhists, Trotskyites and other Marxists, Nation of Islam, even non-racist righteous Jews (Jewish Voice for Peace).

The listed group I fit into is "Christians".

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

to pretend that there is no non Jewish pro Zionist movement in America is just thoroughly dishonest
    To pretend the lobby has no power in the USA is extremely dishonest.
    In Alabama those Christian pro Zionists are very vocal and influential.
    Such people are simple-minded, brainwashed fools. One cannot be a Christian and at the same time support shooting Palestinian children and daily collective punishment of an entire group of people. It goes against the teaching of Jesus Christ.
    You are trying to tar an entire ethnic group based on your own prejudice and I am simply reminding you that I will not play that game.
    No, YOU are trying to tar an entire group, namely Christians.
    You want to talk about what it feels like to be under fire for supporting Human rights for Palestinians, try doing so as a Jew and then try doing that within Israel and Palestine.
    No, I'm not going to convert to Judaism. I doubt if they would really accept me because of my Anglo-Saxon and Celtic ancestry.

And they wouldn't let me into Israel, because I don't have a Jewish grandparent.
    No.

I was a supporter of Black Civil Rights back in the day, but I'm not and have never been a communist.

I am a supporter of Palestinian human rights, but those who support the Palestinian people are from various groups: Christians, South African anti-Apartheid groups, Sunni Muslims, Shia Muslims, David Duke and his followers, Buddhists, Trotskyites and other Marxists, Nation of Islam, even non-racist righteous Jews (Jewish Voice for Peace).

The listed group I fit into is "Christians".
    Well at least you have not grouped me with David Duke and nailed your own colours very firmly to the mast. I have never once denied the existence of Racist Jews or those who lobby on behalf of Israel, however they treat the Palestinians. Just like I have never, and would never, tar all Christians with the nonsense bigotted rubbish you have posted here for years now about Jews. 'They cannot help it, like Scorpions it is in their nature' etc

We can at last look forward to a new era in which you no longer as a Christian seek to demonize an entire group of people, even when they are on your side in protecting the rights of the Palestinians. Thank you.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just like I have never, and would never, tar all Christians with the nonsense bigotted rubbish you have posted here for years now about Jews. 'They cannot help it, like Scorpions it is in their nature' etc
    I never said that. Why are you making it up?
    We can at last look forward to a new era in which you no longer as a Christian seek to demonize an entire group of people, even when they are on your side in protecting the rights of the Palestinians.
    What people on the side of the Palestinians protecting them are you referring to?

Surely not those that are oppressing, bullying and shooting them?

Israeli forces shoot dead Palestinian woman during Gaza border protest

You've been avoiding the question in the thread title. Why not just give a straight answer, without your usual false accusations and disingenuous ad hominem and strawman nonsense?

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just like I have never, and would never, tar all Christians with the nonsense bigotted rubbish you have posted here for years now about Jews. 'They cannot help it, like Scorpions it is in their nature' etc
    I never said that. Why are you making it up?
    We can at last look forward to a new era in which you no longer as a Christian seek to demonize an entire group of people, even when they are on your side in protecting the rights of the Palestinians.
    What people on the side of the Palestinians protecting them are you referring to?

Surely not those that are oppressing, bullying and shooting them?

Israeli forces shoot dead Palestinian woman during Gaza border protest

You've been avoiding the question in the thread title. Why not just give a straight answer, without your usual false accusations and disingenuous ad hominem and strawman nonsense?
    Because my position is so overwhelmingly clear that only an agenda driven poster who had already made their mind up would ask. You don't make the distinction between Jews and the Zionist lobby ever. I have posted here for 9 years and never once made excuses for Israel's treatment of the Palestinians, quite the opposite. It seems you have a real investment in never believing that and wanting to pretend that all your own personal prejudices are true.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because my position is so overwhelmingly clear that only an agenda driven poster who had already made their mind up would ask.
    False accusation.

You don't make the distinction between Jews and the Zionist lobby ever.
    Another false accusation.

I did so in this very thread, when I spoke of Jewish Voice For Peace.
    I have posted here for 9 years and never once made excuses for Israel's treatment of the Palestinians, quite the opposite.
    In this very thread, you placed blame on the simple-minded so-called "Christians" who blindly support Zionist injustices against the Palestinians. That's a poor excuse for the IDF shooting women and children.
    It seems you have a real investment in never believing that and wanting to pretend that all your own personal prejudices are true.
    Another false accusation.

Why not just give a straight answer, WITHOUT false accusations?

I'll ask again: Do you think it was fair of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute to strip Angela Davis of the award, due to her support for Palestinian human rights?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, it was not fair.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    No, it was not fair.
    Thank you.

Beanz doesn't seem to be able to give us a direct, honest answer like yours.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    No, it was not fair.
    Thank you.

Beanz doesn't seem to be able to give us a direct, honest answer like yours.
    I get a bit jaded on the Israel question having made a lot of threads over the years, but of course if you see tyranny you should be free to call it out. I cannot be doing with the stripping of awards for views that certain people cannot handle. You see the same in science as seen with Watson who was a pioneer in DNA research.

Thread Information