Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gennady Golovkin vs Billy Joe Saunders

Frank Warren reveals fresh Gennady Golovkin vs Billy Joe Saunders talks, wants to revive fight

The promoter is admittedly not confident, but would like to try once again to make this middleweight clash

Billy Joe Saunders’ promoter Frank Warren has revealed fresh discussions for a fight with Gennady Golovkin.

The BT Sport boxing promoter admits he is not confident the bout will be made, but insists they’ll make a new attempt to do so.

Regardless, Saunders’ next bout will come in the spring as he looks to work his way back to the top following a failed drugs test which saw him vacate his world title last year.

“I met with him yesterday and he’ll be out in April,” Warren told the Pound for Pound podcast.

“The quest is to get him back his titles and to get him back his ranking with the WBO.”

On previous occasions in 2017 and 2018, negotiations collapsed for GGG vs Saunders in what would have then been an undisputed middleweight title fight.

The Kazakh unified champion instead opted to twice take a big-money bout against Canelo Alvarez, who ultimately beat him by majority decision and took his titles in their rematch last September.

Now, with both men lacking major belts, it seems even less likely that a fight between Golovkin and the Brit could happen, however Frank Warren stated that there are discussions taking place behind the scenes.

“Will they want to fight Bill?” the promoter continued, “I’m not sure without a title being involved, maybe money might talk.

“In fact, my son spoke to [GGG’s promoter] Tom Loeffler today, so we’re exploring that.

“We wanna try and make that fight, as I say, my son spoke to Tom Loeffler and we would like to try and make that fight.

“It would be a fantastic fight.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...aunders-talks/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin vs Billy Joe Saunders

I think it's a decent fight, but not really sure it's as big as it was when both held titles. Still a clash I would like to see tho.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin is getting slack. Canelo has fought already and he is twiddling his thumbs getting older. Get on with it GGG. Fight someone.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I doubt this will happen, theres bigger money fights for Golovkin and this won't be for a belt.
    Can't see Saunders appealing to him unless there's a belt to be taken.
    High risk low reward for Golovkin.
    Saunders is gonna have to climb the ladder a bit and force the likes of Canelo & Golovkin to fight him.
    Saunders is a fool and may have completely fucked his career up by his actions in 2018.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was going to start a topic asking how good is Billy joe? I know he has skills but good enough for GGG? Or is he tough enough? I just have to see more or do you guys know something I don't. I'm starting to become a fan.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saunders has proven himself to be a total wanker outside the ring on multiple occasions.

However, he is a very good technician, decent power and a good engine.

I think he is stylistically all wrong for a GGG who has slown down quite a lot and also whose 'fear factor' has diminished.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see Saunders causing more trouble for Canelo than GGG.

Saunders is also back in the WBC ratings.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I see Saunders causing more trouble for Canelo than GGG.

Saunders is also back in the WBC ratings.
    Amazing what one fight and victory can do for you in boxing.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saunders has nothing to lose and GGG has nothing to gain. It's too late to start cleaning up the division, GGG should have done that before he got jobbed for his belts. They've already legitimized the draw and loss with a "close enough" based on a mixture of popularity and canelos improvement from the first to second fight.
    The cats out of the bag on GGG. Balloon up enough after the weigh in where you don't have to evade his power and try to back him up while throwing combos.... you can look like a monster (bjs has no problem putting pounds--just has a problem waiting till after the weigh in). Not saying GGG knocking down or hurting heavyweights in sparring is a myth. probably isn't but heavyweights now a days don't throw combos much because they're afraid of gassing. Middleweights have higher work rates and if you pack on 23 pounds overnight and fight in spurts you wont gas out as quickly. Until GGG works on a way to combat that, any good middle weight that does that and lasts till the final bell has a chance. He's already to old to work on his conditioning and run those guys ragged around the ring to wear them down... his legs wont let him. So he has to pack on weight and work on timing and accuracy, improve his defense (instead of relying on his chin) maybe take a few on the button to draw those guys in and have them stay to long. Could work on guys like hurd, charlo... BJS probably has to be pressed, as does andrade
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Thread Information