Thread: Keith “One Time” Thurman v Josesito Lopez 26/1/2019 ITV 4

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fun fight. Honestly, after coming back from such an enormous layoff, Lopez was a very respectable opponent and fought his ass off. He had Thurman in serious trouble but Keith has a champion’s heart and refused to lose. If he fights Manny next then that is a very winnable fight for both men.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Keith “One Time” Thurman v Josesito Lopez 26/1/2019 ITV 4

It was a fun fight. But I wouldn't say people are hating on him as there is some to criticise. A big one is still waving a belt around off 2 yrs of doing nothing. Two yrs out is a long time but it can also be said that it's also more than enough time and prep to ensure readiness. I actually worry more about his defence and that after he was hurt he never regained a power advantage. He basically got on his bike and shadow boxed. I mean hell, Mikey Garcia took two years off and now sits ready to challenge the top guy in Thurmans division and a name Thurman wouldn't even speak Saturday. I really wonder if Thurman has assumed too much and let it pass him by a bit.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    It was a fun fight. But I wouldn't say people are hating on him as there is some to criticise. A big one is still waving a belt around off 2 yrs of doing nothing. Two yrs out is a long time but it can also be said that it's also more than enough time and prep to ensure readiness. I actually worry more about his defence and that after he was hurt he never regained a power advantage. He basically got on his bike and shadow boxed. I mean hell, Mikey Garcia took two years off and now sits ready to challenge the top guy in Thurmans division and a name Thurman wouldn't even speak Saturday. I really wonder if Thurman has assumed too much and let it pass him by a bit.
    Thurman has almost always got on his bike in the later rounds at world level. I think there was a lot of ring rust this time but even allowing for that I wasn't impressed with him at all. I'm not sure he's all that hungry anymore, and I don't think he'd beat Manny if that fight happens next. Two years is a hell of a long time to be out for those injuries. I think mentally he's checked out already and wants a big payday or two and he'll call it a career.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Thurman has almost always got on his bike in the later rounds at world level. I think there was a lot of ring rust this time but even allowing for that I wasn't impressed with him at all. I'm not sure he's all that hungry anymore, and I don't think he'd beat Manny if that fight happens next. Two years is a hell of a long time to be out for those injuries. I think mentally he's checked out already and wants a big payday or two and he'll call it a career.
    Reminded me a bit of the Bundu ? fight. Look fierce early and by bathe end he's counting the ticks of the clock. Not sure how close he and Manny are but he's talking 'late' in year and surely he won't risk anyone major in a tune up so sounds like his year is a wrap. I agree with the mentality, the man is fundamentally sound but he acts like someone with one foot out the door at times.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reminded me a bit of the Bundu ? fight. Look fierce early and by bathe end he's counting the ticks of the clock. Not sure how close he and Manny are but he's talking 'late' in year and surely he won't risk anyone major in a tune up so sounds like his year is a wrap. I agree with the mentality, the man is fundamentally sound but he acts like someone with one foot out the door at times.
    thurman doesnt have a pivot.

his hips always stay locked to three quarter. thats why he has to skip so much. he can never just side step guys because of his fixed hip angle. the problem with the skip is when you are using it both of your feet go up in the air. that means you have to come down out of your skip to be able to set your feet to punch. so if youre skipping a lot, like thurman has to, youre not punching a lot. acelino freitas had that problem. you use up so much energy skipping a whole round away. its like skipping rope for a whole round. it is the same motion. if thurman fights someone that hits him and makes him go up into his skip the rest of the fight, his workrate will dip way low, but so will the other guy's workrate, since he moves so much he never lets them set their feet to punch either. that is the dilemma with him.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thurman is not the puncher he thinks he is , and for me is avoiding Spence.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    thurman doesnt have a pivot.

his hips always stay locked to three quarter. thats why he has to skip so much. he can never just side step guys because of his fixed hip angle. the problem with the skip is when you are using it both of your feet go up in the air. that means you have to come down out of your skip to be able to set your feet to punch. so if youre skipping a lot, like thurman has to, youre not punching a lot. acelino freitas had that problem. you use up so much energy skipping a whole round away. its like skipping rope for a whole round. it is the same motion. if thurman fights someone that hits him and makes him go up into his skip the rest of the fight, his workrate will dip way low, but so will the other guy's workrate, since he moves so much he never lets them set their feet to punch either. that is the dilemma with him.
    Good point bud and Thurman has never struck me as a guy who can blend that movement with consistent hurtful combination punching. He does one or the other more often than not. Against better punchers and guys more willing to walk him down he gets put of the backfoot, that skip and constant resetting and fires off light combos. Against someone like Spence if he worries more about his feet than effective punching late on he may get caught in between those skips and forced into a fire fight. Smarter fighters are not going to carelessly burn up the energy trying to track him down, let him burn his own going backwards and time him between and get him trapped along ropes where he often finds himself. Then bring the house down on him.

Thread Information